Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 GA quad 4 knocking

pasowicz95yj
08-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Ok, bad problem here. My 95 grand am quad 4 engine ticks loudly. It does not do it when I first start it, but once it is to regular operating temp., it ticks. some ppl say timing chain, some ppl say lifters. any help is apreciated. also, and tech articles on changing either for my car would be great. I plan on doing the work myself, as this is my second car and i am a cheap ass :grinyes: Thanks!

pasowicz95yj
08-28-2003, 06:24 PM
anybody? come on guys

tman
08-30-2003, 12:55 AM
be patient, people will help!

I'd say lifters, but the quad 4 is OHC, I'm not sure whether there are rocker arms as I'm thinking of, pushrod stlye. First, go see a dealer, and get a new rockerarm cover gasket. Head to auto zone and get some degreaser and WD-40. Take off the rocker arm cover, and spray the rocker arms, and any other valvetrain parts. use a shop-vac to suck up all the excess degreaser and WD-40. try and make the lifter bearings(as I call them) rotate with your fingers. Insert new gasket, and replace rockerarm cover. Torque bolds to about 80-88 inch pounds. Drain your oil. Flush a quart of oil through the engine. Fill engine to (I think it's 4 qts, dont hold me to that). Start it up, wait for it to warm up, and hopefully the problem will be fixed.

Note: I am not responsible for any damages that may occur to to the ideas expressed in my post. Please use good sense, and talk this over with a dealer prior to engine work.

voyager
09-01-2003, 08:39 PM
umm.. perhaps you have a 94? i thought that was the last year of the Q4..?
tman has good advice. for more and better info on your engine, go to beretta.net and ask the GTZ boys how they fix theirs.

tman
09-01-2003, 09:45 PM
My other cousin has a 95 grand am with the quad4, So the Quad 4 did extend to the 95 model year.

pasowicz95yj
09-07-2003, 07:51 PM
thanks for the responses.

tman
09-11-2003, 04:58 PM
I made a mistake in an above post.

My Cousin's GA is a 94. I thought that she had a 95. My apologies.

Add your comment to this topic!