Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How much is motorcycle insurance for an 18 year old?

mdh2087
08-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Hey. How much would it be to insure a motorcycle (something like a zx-6r or zx-7r) for an 18 year old with a clean driving record? Thanks!

Kennedy200
08-26-2003, 06:36 PM
If you can get insurance, expect to dish out 3 to 4,000 a year.

90gs
08-26-2003, 08:41 PM
3-4k per year ?!?!?

im 18 and i was thinking of getting a Honda cbr 600 f4i but not if its 4k per year on insurance thats straight bullshit.

R1-rider
08-26-2003, 09:08 PM
3-4K is a good rate, I know people who pay over 5K a year for liability.

ccc880
08-27-2003, 12:15 AM
I dont understand why its so much though...

You wont do much damage to anyone else (unless its a pedestrian or another motorcycle) when you crash a motorcycle. I think your medical insurance covers you if you are hurt and motorcycles are cheap compared to cars so it wouldnt be much for the insurance company to fix or replace after an accident. Just my :2cents:

R1-rider
08-27-2003, 12:43 PM
Sportbikes are insanely easy to steal, especially because so many people crash their bikes and you can buy their frames, switch everything over from the stolen bike, and get a salvage title and a clean bike. Not to mention the fact that if you drop a sportbike you almost have to have insurance pay for it simply because of how much everything costs to repair (over 1K in plastics alone). The biggest reason it costs so much is because people are stupid, and cocky, even if it isn't all the time, being on a sportbike while being an idiot about multiplies your chance to get killed or crash by about 10000%

speediva
08-27-2003, 01:07 PM
Sportbikes are insanely easy to steal, especially because so many people crash their bikes and you can buy their frames, switch everything over from the stolen bike, and get a salvage title and a clean bike. Not to mention the fact that if you drop a sportbike you almost have to have insurance pay for it simply because of how much everything costs to repair (over 1K in plastics alone). The biggest reason it costs so much is because people are stupid, and cocky, even if it isn't all the time, being on a sportbike while being an idiot about multiplies your chance to get killed or crash by about 10000%

^ What he said.

Sorry, but all males have balls that say "Go Faster!!!", "This looks like something stupid I could pull-off" or just simply "______" aka. NOTHING. While there are those who can restrain themselves from the first two urges, those who can't, and those who fall into the "no thought" category tend to crash causing our damn insurance rates to go through the roof.

Insurance can be found for relatively cheap if you buy a used early 90's street bike with LESS than 600ccs. Most companies use either cc's or "type of bike" (sportbike, cruiser, etc) to rate insurance. Either way, getting a smaller cc bike that isn't considered a true sportbike is the cheap way to go for insurance. Clean driving record means nothing b/c that's a CAR, not a BIKE. ;) Okay, it means VERY little, but you get the idea now.

erricer
08-31-2003, 04:29 PM
Im 19 and my insurance is only about $900 a year! But the catch is that I have two other cars and its not my primary source of transportation! :biggrin: And i live in the lowest insurance rate county in Texas!

gsf1200m
09-03-2003, 10:05 AM
My insurance for my bike is $300, I dont know if thats becaue i pay $1000 for my car also...

gsf1200m
09-03-2003, 10:06 AM
Oh and im 19, and it was the same price for me that last 2 years ive had the bike.

BaNe
09-03-2003, 02:43 PM
well i called and got a quote today from Dairyland and it is $268 a yr. I am 16 do not have my car insured with them, not taken the MSF course yet, and no accidents and tickets. Also I am in TXxx

R1-rider
09-06-2003, 04:44 PM
And I can get liability for 17$ a month, but like hell if I am ever going to do that. Also I am not talking about regular motorcycles, I am talking about sportbikes or bikes with the letter "R" in its model name. I have full coverage on my vtwin at 57$ a month, but my R1 is much much more.

B0yle
09-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Im 18, i have a Honda 2003 CBR 954 i live in ohio, i have state farm insurance and i pay 160 a month for full coverage. Its the cheapest i could find, progressive wanted close to 8k a year and thats just a little bit too much!

kei2110
09-19-2003, 03:42 PM
sounds pretty cheap ;o
how much do you guys think it is for me to get a ninja 250 ;p i dont wanna die so fast hehe so i'm starting out realllllllly small... and make my way up. i'm 18 and no riding experience :D

94tegRS
09-19-2003, 11:19 PM
ok, now I trid to get a quote through dairyland and halfway thorugh me listing my offenses to them they told me they were unable to rate me, anyone know of a company that will insure someone 19yrs old on a sport bike with a driving record on the complete opposite side of "CLEAN".

and if where you live youll be able to get youre money back from the 250, then go for it, but if not I think youll be done with that in a few weeks tops. I never even rode a sport bike and hopped on a R1 as my first, Ive only gone 4 days so far so IM not in the clear yet, and NOONE will ever ressomend that as a first bike, but id get like a mid-late 90's 600F3 at the least, again though, only if the 250 would end up a loss of cash when you sold it.

and Ive gotten a quote and pretended I didnt have anything on my record and it was very reasonable for a 03 F4i. so the older F3 shouldnt be a problem.

kei2110
09-20-2003, 12:28 AM
well.. i'm very uncertain about my motorcycle skills because i've never driven before... you know the saying...

It's better safe than sorry...

i'd rather lose some money and be more safe than risking it... ya'know what i mean? i'm 18, just got into UC Berkeley so i'd like to have the rest of my life to play with :D

94tegRS
09-20-2003, 10:55 AM
alright, it was just an idea, but you are probably doing it the wise way anyways.

WarPigs
11-06-2003, 02:55 PM
What would you estimate an 18 yr olds insurance to be in NJ? I've got a clean record, and i'm smart enough to respect the motorcycle and act above my age. The bike would be an 01-02 F4i...

matraca280_112
11-06-2003, 09:33 PM
i have been told that in fl if the bike is paid off or it cost under 10,000 you dont have to have it covered. could that be true. i woudl like to know. i am looking at getting a gsx-r 600 in the next few months. and if i dont have to have it covered then what do i need then

Boxer132c
11-15-2003, 02:42 PM
It is not that expensive I got my bike when I was 18 and now I just turned 19 and my is $500 a year. thats I think 43.00 a month. All I have is liability but thats all you need. I go through progressive, have a clean record and a sport bike. I took the MSF class but havent submitted it to progressive for discount yet.

speediva
11-16-2003, 10:18 PM
First and foremost, take the MSF course for the discount, no matter how small it may be. Progressive will rip you off on insurance rates for bikes 600ccs and larger... I got an "okay" rate on my 500, but I was lucky. State Farm is pretty much the best way to go. Try Liberty Mutual, and also call your car insurance agent and see what's available.

WarPigs
11-17-2003, 01:22 AM
It is not that expensive I got my bike when I was 18 and now I just turned 19 and my is $500 a year. thats I think 43.00 a month. All I have is liability but thats all you need. I go through progressive, have a clean record and a sport bike. I took the MSF class but havent submitted it to progressive for discount yet.

where do you live?

Are there any 18-19yr people here that live in NJ?

Elrod on the V-Rod
11-27-2003, 06:35 PM
I live in Fl and you don't need insurance if you wear a helmet.I keep full coverage on all of my bikes and myself,$10,000 above what is recomended.My insurance runs $228 a year with 3 points.JC Whitney has one of the best deals around.Secret phone# is 1-888-878-8111 x 4183.Harley is now underwriting policies.Thats who I used.Formost is the co.I'm alot older than 18 so don't expect a super low rate untill after age 25.I also always wear a hemet whether I want to or not.

Samurai75007
12-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I went with my dad to look at some bikes today. Although I don’t have a bike license I am thinking about doing all that this summer. We were looking at some Ducati's both the 04 999R and the F4 super bikes... I am thinking that the inch will be about 5-800 a month for something like that caws the cheaper of the two bikes is $16,500 and the F4 is $18,000. I am hoping to see if I can find something used and have it looked at near me.. The main problem is that I am a big dude so I don’t think I fit on most of the bikes out there and I don’t want get a chopper so some thing big is the way I got to go starting out any ideas?

Elrod on the V-Rod
12-30-2003, 07:04 PM
You mean 5-800 a year right?

Elrod on the V-Rod

Samurai75007
12-30-2003, 09:36 PM
I think it was a month or maby thats all I hafto come up with Ill ask my dad hes the one who talkied to them.

Elrod on the V-Rod
12-31-2003, 04:27 PM
If that amount is for a month somebody is crazy! Check out the # I left on post # 23.If that does'nt work call Harley Davidson.They are underwriting insurace now.I'got mine through Foremost,A sub company from Farmers.

Elrod on the V-Rod

[HEL]DeAlessio
01-05-2004, 12:42 PM
I love it when you guys tell motorcycle newbs that they will be tired of their 250's in a couple of weeks. this is completly untrue. Every bike salesman tells you this cuz they want you to buy a more expensive bike.
I bought an 89 honda vtr 250 back in august. I love the bike and I have yet to entertain any Idea's of getting a bigger bike. it handles beautifuly can pop wheelies and do burnouts and it goes like Hell for a beginer bike (not that i do any of that stupid crap.......alot).
my point is there is a big difference between a 250 like a ninja and my bike and a 600cc bike especialy if your young or not a very large person. I only pay 17 bucks a month in insurance and im only 20. my friend who is same age as me only pays 35 on his new ninja 250 including comp and collision. keep your testosterone filled idea's to yourself. newbie riders wont benefit from that kind of advice they would kill themselves on a 600 or at the very least end up dropping the 7000 dollar machine.

speediva
01-05-2004, 03:04 PM
DeAlessio']I love it when you guys tell motorcycle newbs that they will be tired of their 250's in a couple of weeks. this is completly untrue. Every bike salesman tells you this cuz they want you to buy a more expensive bike.
I bought an 89 honda vtr 250 back in august. I love the bike and I have yet to entertain any Idea's of getting a bigger bike. it handles beautifuly can pop wheelies and do burnouts and it goes like Hell for a beginer bike (not that i do any of that stupid crap.......alot).
my point is there is a big difference between a 250 like a ninja and my bike and a 600cc bike especialy if your young or not a very large person. I only pay 17 bucks a month in insurance and im only 20. my friend who is same age as me only pays 35 on his new ninja 250 including comp and collision. don't put your teterone filled idea's into a newbie rider that would kill themselves on a 600 or at the very least end up dropping the 7000 dollar machine.
Fact is, most people who have done ANY kind of riding before find 250s to be underpowered and lacking the "get up and go" that they want. Sure, it is better for a newbie to start under 600ccs... But hell, I am 5'10" and about 145-150, but with riding experience as a kid, I outgrew a Suz GS500 in about 3 months... We just try to tell it like it is... the way the market really works, the way that people CAN and sometimes DO outgrow things. Like you say, safety first, but there's always time for Darwin to do his pruning of the gene pool... :redface:

Accord_Racer03
01-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Well I paid $208 for liability only. I wanted full coverage but it was going to cost about $3000 a year for my gsxr 600. So my suggestion to anyone looking for a bike is to get a 600 and pay liability only because it's a lot cheaper. On the other hand if you can afford to get full coverage go for that cause a lot of people crash their first bike. In reply - Darwin -- that's another topic!

EGcivicSi
01-12-2004, 03:31 AM
20 with perfect record. 550 a year full coverage. yamaha r6. State farm. Search around man because I remember quoting Progressive and they wanted like 2000 a year full for me. Nobody is even close in price so you cant say that insurance will be a set amount for you.

fishbonezx6r
01-18-2004, 05:31 AM
I am 19 and got a 2003 zx-6r for a first bike and insurance is 45 a month for full coverage.

Elrod on the V-Rod
01-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Now we are starting to talk a little American english.Ever seen the allstate building or an insurance agents house.Pretty impressive!Just keep in mind that the insurance buissness and politicians are 2 peas in a pod,people without job skills.In the early to mid 1900s they were AKA the MOB!

Elrod on the V-Rod

Cobra01TT
01-27-2004, 08:09 AM
I have State Farm and they charge about $ 300 every six months for my 2002 R6, but you have to have a car insured with them. I am 17.

01venom_
02-08-2004, 06:29 PM
My friend has a gsx-r 1000 02 I think and hes 18 and his insurance is like 700 a year.

|PuNiSh3R|
02-15-2004, 04:37 PM
No offense.. But stop being so god damn lazy n pick up the phone book and a phone and call to some places instead of us asking people here how much it costs them. It means nothing. Stop trying to ask every one how much it would cost if you had this bike and this record or what the fuck ever.

Xv7vX
02-17-2004, 11:48 AM
No offense.. But stop being so god damn lazy n pick up the phone book and a phone and call to some places instead of us asking people here how much it costs them. It means nothing. Stop trying to ask every one how much it would cost if you had this bike and this record or what the fuck ever.

Welcome to Automotive Forums |PuNiSh3R|. This is a friendly resource for anyone who has questions. I dont know where you came from, but here, ESPECIALLY in the motorcycle section you can ask any question you like, and we will try to answer it. Not get all uptight telling them to "pick up a phone book."

Why dont you sit down, have a coke and a smile.

Lionsbane
03-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Well put Xv7vX. Hey cobra, who is your friend insured by?

Steel
03-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Hehe, my insurance is gonna be CHEAP with a naked bike! there is no "r" in SV650 at all! w00t for cheap insurance!

R1-rider
03-04-2004, 07:44 PM
yea, any bike with the letter R in it is like double/triple that of any other.

94tegRS
03-05-2004, 12:30 AM
unless you dont insure it at all... I was going to insure my R1 but everywhere I called I got halfway through tellling them my record for the quote and they told me they couldnt insure me, so I just rode without it for the couple months i owned the bike.

speediva
03-05-2004, 07:00 AM
unless you dont insure it at all... I was going to insure my R1 but everywhere I called I got halfway through tellling them my record for the quote and they told me they couldnt insure me, so I just rode without it for the couple months i owned the bike.
Wow, you really ARE the dullest crayon in the box. To think I figured it was just a facade. :rolleyes:

R1-rider
03-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Lifes subtle hints make me laugh sometimes.

94tegRS
03-05-2004, 02:09 PM
what a couple of stupid bitches, I didnt reccomend it, but I mean in washington state you arent EVEN REQUIRED to insure your bike, so obviously it isnt such a stupid thing to do, so F off.

R1-rider
03-05-2004, 04:31 PM
I hope in washington they don't require seatbelts, helmets, or anything else that may aid in your survival, because you apparently don't need them if not required by law.

94tegRS
03-05-2004, 09:04 PM
actually, ever heard of click it or ticket? yes they require helmets, they require new drivers to have no passengers and not drive at night, obviously they care about things that aid in survival, but when you wreck your bike, how is that little peice of paper you got under your seat gonna save your life, most people dont even have much insurance on themselves, almost no one I knows does, and you know why, having lots of insurance costs too damn much.

speediva
03-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Not having insurance might not mean much to you, but what if you hit someone else and hurt them? YOUR lack of insurance might mean that they won't be able to pay for the care they need. Kindly realize that your bull-headed ego is not a reason to leave it to chance for someone else. You're not the only person living on Earth, and your actions can and will have consequences.

WS6er_02
03-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Well I went to the honda place friday to run my credit trough for a shadow 750. It went trough, must have had help from up above, but they told me i couldnt purchase it untill i have proof of insurace. So now i must find time monday to ask around for different quotes just to pick it up. I am 18 and live in NC so I am expecting like 600 a year, I hope. Also what do yaw suggest a Honda Shadow Aero 750 or Shadow Spirit 750?

94tegRS
03-08-2004, 12:40 AM
ok, I didnt do things dumb enough to hit someone else and hurt them, because I would have to hit a pedestrian, if i hit a car I am the one thats gonna be hurting, guess what will win, a 400 pound mass going 80 or a 3000 lb mass going 50-60, and who has seatbelts/whjo doesnt?

R1-rider
03-08-2004, 12:54 AM
You did plenty of fucking moronic things on your motorcycle when you had it, telling us how in the first day you were already surpassing 100mph and attempting wheelies. Yea, you are a very safe rider no doubt.

And before you think that you automatically lose against a car, you do lose, but depending on your speed the car can just as easily be demolished (and whoever is inside of it).

Helmets and Seatbelts are types of safety precautions to help prevent you from being injured in an accident, however what happens when you are injured, or even worse you injure somebody else. You don't even have insurance now to cover any type of medical treatments, so how exactly is it not necessary. It is almost as necessary as your helmet.

94tegRS
03-08-2004, 02:41 AM
ask the washington governor(or whoever makes the laws in WA) why it isnt necessary, and I didnt do it where there was people to hit, that is what I mean, I didnt say i didnt do dumb things at all, just did them where id only hurt myself. and I NEVER did it where id t bone a car and nail the driver or passenger. didnt even do it on roads with driveways or anything on the,m, I will admit that ( am stupid when it comes to my own safety, but i try hard not to endanger others.

thesnake
04-02-2004, 09:49 PM
I called a company around here and they deal with progressive and they said my insurance will run $5,500 a year . I am 18 and have two tickets but still there has to be some place alot cheaper then that. if you know of any i would appreciate your help. The bike i want is a gsx-r 600.

speediva
04-03-2004, 10:29 AM
I called a company around here and they deal with progressive and they said my insurance will run $5,500 a year . I am 18 and have two tickets but still there has to be some place alot cheaper then that. if you know of any i would appreciate your help. The bike i want is a gsx-r 600.
Avoid Progressive bike insurance like the plague. Call your car insurance agency, and ask about adding a bike. With 2 tickets, you won't get off easy anywhere... you pay the price twice when you get tickets... fines, and insurance.

thesnake
04-03-2004, 10:41 PM
So in a general estimate how much do you think the Insurance is going to run me. I can understand 2,000 a year being 18 and having two tickets but 5,500 that is freaking crazy. I mean the bike its self is only 8,000

speediva
04-05-2004, 09:48 AM
So in a general estimate how much do you think the Insurance is going to run me. I can understand 2,000 a year being 18 and having two tickets but 5,500 that is freaking crazy. I mean the bike its self is only 8,000
It's gonna depend on your tickets, how long ago they were, the number of points you have, and a WHOLE slew of other factors. In short, no one without the same sort of experience/record will be able to give you an estimate. You will have to do the fact-finding individually, sorry.

Lionsbane
04-08-2004, 02:20 PM
i live in socal, im 18, and i pay $450 a year with AAA. I ride a Ninja ZX-6

danmdevries
04-28-2004, 12:28 PM
dunno... i'm 18, didn't take MSF course, paying 1300/yr liability on a 1981 honda cm400e, clean driving record, and paying 2700/yr liability on a ford escort lx. Insurance isn't cheap, especially up here in chicago.

supersmith87
04-28-2004, 02:29 PM
You guys say to start off on a smaller bike like a 200cc. Im 6'3'' 175 lbs and I was just wondering if I would be able to fit one one of those?

Irish50
08-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Hey im almost 16 and live in Minnesota. How much do you think insurance would be for only the good-weather months (april-september) on a Ninja 250.

aussieidiot
08-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey man, this thread is quite old.

Please start a new one if you can't find the info you need in the search section.

I'll close this thread so the rest of us don't need to re-hash old threads.

Add your comment to this topic!