Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Would you buy another Grand Am

cvanhorn
08-25-2003, 02:31 PM
It seems to me, the question automakers ask themselves more than any other is: will the customer come back and buy another car? I can say for myself that as soon as I'm done with my Grand Am (2000 SE V6), I'm done with Pontiacs... probably General Motors.

I don't drive an American car because it's American. I bought an American car because I see plenty of old Grand Ams on the road, thought the price was reasonable and felt it would keep me moving for a while. While my car has yet to truly let me down, the coolant problems not to mention the factory rotors are enough to drive me to a Honda next time I need wheels.

How about you?

Puckman27
08-25-2003, 05:45 PM
i'd probably get another pontiac, just not right now. the quality of GM cars has slowly gotten better lately, at least since Lutz took-over. so, no i wouldn't get the present model grand am, but if that G6 becomes the next grand am, and if i can't afford a GTO, then yeah, i'd probably get another grand am or other pontiac.

kevin2811
09-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Most people have a brand preference whether it be ford gm dodge etc.. GM's have also given me problems while my ford's have given me no problems what so ever. Even the 2003 Honda we are selling gives lots of small problems dealing with fit and finish and a noisy clutch.

SpyhunterlV
09-08-2003, 04:51 PM
I'm not buying another FWD GM car anytime soon at all. I'm a fan of FWD performance, and I've been disappointed by the lack of support even though I have found a shitload of enthusiasts who share my very same opinion.

Lack of support is my first reason for not wanting to buy another GM, lackluster brakes is another, and lack of aftermarket is pissing me off since the current aftermarket is very poor in service and reliability... it forces one to innovate and go through lots of trial and error.

Flatrater
09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
All car makers have their own problems!! GM isn't the only one they all have problems. I know lots of people that have had no problems with their Grand Ams. No car is perfect!!

Would you prefer the fire prone FORDS?? And I am not talking about just the cop cars. How about the Ford Focus and its stalling problems! Or the Fords Sudden Unintended Acceleration and Stuck Throttles!! And that is the tip of the iceberg for just Ford alone!!

Check here for the proof!! (http://safetyforum.com/)

SpyhunterlV
09-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Next car is going to be one of these..

S2000
NSX
S14 240sx (swapped of course)
Skyline R32

one of those.. under $40k... yeh, I'll be much happier in two years. :biggrin:

Jenny81
09-10-2003, 07:51 AM
i would buy another pontiac i used to have a contour which actually is not bad i also have had a dodge shadow now that i would never buy again then i bought a impala which was nice but too big for me then i got this 2003 pontiac grand am an im in love with it! i was going to buy the 2004 gtp but they werent in stock an i had to special order which is more money. anyways i would buy pontiacs again!

DreamsofaCobra
09-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Never, ever will I buy another GM, let alone a pontiac. Nothing but problems...

Greenman344
09-13-2003, 10:35 PM
I have had a Grand Am GT for a little over a year now, no problems, the only thing realy bad about it is the brakes. But i am going to buy a later model ford mustang in a few months just because i need more speed.

Ares78
09-14-2003, 08:37 AM
I believe if i was asked this a year ago, i might would have. Grand Am's are good on a short term basis, but if you're looking for a long term car, especially anything over 75,000 miles, i'd look elsewhere. Because thats when mine started slowly falling apart. Not to mention the brakes, Grand Am's are the worst car i've seen to go through brakes.

Anyways, Grand Am's are good if you're leasing a new one or have one for the early life cycle, but they're bad if you want one for long term use.

SpyhunterlV
09-14-2003, 11:56 PM
In a way they can be pretty great if you change out the brakes for Baer replacements. :)

the suspension can be quite good when you find energy suspension bushings to replace everything along w/ a set of sway bars from http://pfyc.com

the engine quad 4 anyway can be a lot of fun when you build it better than GM. ;)

The interior, well awesome w/ a set of sport buckets...

the tranny pretty damn reliable when it's not the auto...

and the cooling system? when you get rid of hte dexcool it rules...

DoctorSpeed.com
09-15-2003, 09:08 PM
I would buy another one in a heartbeat. This is my third car and by far the best.

breezd
09-16-2003, 02:07 PM
I used to have a Grand Am...i got it up to 99k miles and sold it...
my family had the car since new
i am friends with the current owner and the car has gone thru many problems...glad i got rid of it when i did

now i have a Dodge Intrepid. it was a big difference in size and power. But my time has come with the intrepid and now it is time for a SUV. I am more than likely getting a Chevy Blazer.

mtnagel
09-17-2003, 11:15 AM
I believe if i was asked this a year ago, i might would have. Grand Am's are good on a short term basis, but if you're looking for a long term car, especially anything over 75,000 miles, i'd look elsewhere. Because thats when mine started slowly falling apart. Not to mention the brakes, Grand Am's are the worst car i've seen to go through brakes.

Anyways, Grand Am's are good if you're leasing a new one or have one for the early life cycle, but they're bad if you want one for long term use.I agree. Mine now has 80,000 miles and it started falling apart at about 70,000 (funny, isn't that when most extended warranties start to end?). Anyway, I had to replace the LIM gasket at 74,000 for $1200 (and water pump) and now I have a speed sensor going ($400 - 500 fix).

I've just started looking for other cars to get rid of this thing. It just scares me what else could go wrong. The rotors are warped again and I'm just living with it (unacceptable).

I too thought I would go foreign, but I really love the looks of the new GP. And I've heard the 3800 V6 is a reliable engine, so I'm leaning towards that.

Matthew

HondaSpeed
09-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Yeah no huge problems but so many little ones that I wouldn't ever buy another Pontiac. Its been ok but it gets so run down so fast.

girliebird
02-25-2004, 11:48 PM
no more grand ams for me. trans am MAYBE but i sure as hell am gona havea chevy for a backup. fords suck they fall apart worse than damn grand ams. im sure id have the same trouble with a trans am but god if it couldnt kill the hell outta everything under a vette 8P (best fast car ive seen for the price) anyway! yep get a chevy!

C_Sephiroth
02-26-2004, 06:14 AM
*Cough* Camaro also *uncough* heh....I Like the look of the Trans Am though, just as long as you don't get the LT1 Engine.

achievasc92
02-26-2004, 07:25 AM
I don't have a Grand Am, but I have 2 Achievas, which are just Grand Ams in Oldsmobile skin :) I love my cars because I got them cheap, not too many people have them and work on them, and they have been very reliable. That said, they are also probably the last Achievas that I will own, the remaining Achievas are getting older and my next car in the future will hopefully be newer. Maybe an Intrigue.

grfnkl
02-26-2004, 03:27 PM
I would get another Pontiac, or GM product, over most other cars. I own 2 Grand ams my one has had almost no problems whatsoever in the 15 years it's been on the road. My newer one has had only one problem that is driving me crazy but just cuz it has a few problems i wouldn't give up on it. This is just like that myth of the GM's of the late 80 and early 90s being the worst cars, never working, that's a big joke, cuz everyone i've know with a car from that era, never had a problem. Just like other people have said not every car is perfect.

urweak
02-27-2004, 01:27 PM
i wouldnt buy another one, then agian i never payed for the one i have now. Its a fun car, and i payed the right price for it ($0) but i wouldnt buy another. I think my next car will be a subaru.

Add your comment to this topic!