Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mazda offers Buy-Back Program for RX-8s

Gripenfelter
08-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Apparently they are revising the RX-8 horsepower figures: the Manual is being revised down 3.6% to 238hp, and the Auto down 4.5% to 197hp.

Anyone who has already purchased an RX-8 will be receiving a letter from Mazda offering two alternatives:

Mazda will buy back the car. (No details available on the particulars of this program yet.)

Mazda will provide free scheduled servicing for the duration of the standard warranty plus a $500 debit card.

Basically the same deal that they offered after the 2001 Miata was found to be down on power too. Owners will have 30 days to decide.

http://www.rx8forum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9347

giwojo
08-26-2003, 12:53 AM
I was told they were only offering buyback options to RX-8 owners who didn't know about the Horsepower deficiency. When I bought my RX-8 on saturday, the manager told me about the deficiency, and since I already knew about it before buying the car, I do not have the option of having Mazda buy it back. Neither does anyone else who knows about the HP issue. Mazda did however offer me the free scheduled maintenance and the $500 debit card for "burdening myself with such a horsepower depleted car." So its like I got an RX-8 for 500 off sticker! BTW...the only quam I have about the car is the gas mileage issue. In order to get close to EPA mileage figures, I have to feather the gas and shift at 2500-3000 rpm, not exactly fun. real world driving expect about 16 mpg in the city. Did manage to take my car around some deserted country roads my friend knew about. This car would have to get pretty crappy gas mileage to outweigh its handling abilities!! and its VERY easy to drift too!! A well balanced car...

Jas_M
09-02-2003, 02:21 AM
Such a shame when stuff like this happens. If Mazda was smart they would have just released estimated figures and then adjusted them accordingly when they arrived at their final specs. At least they're doing the right thing to try and rectify the situation, and it isn't a huge loss in power.

wilson94T
09-05-2003, 09:12 AM
giwojo:

I met someone with an RX8 this past weekend at an Autox event. (He found me because I have an RX7... anyway...)

Here is what he said about the car, which may apply to you:

There is a break in period of 2000 miles, where the ECU is going to run pig rich. This fuel rich state has two very noticable side effects.

1. The fuel economy is poor.
2. The power is not what it should be (even after the mazda annoucement)

After driving the 2000 miles, the ECU should begin to lean the fuel mixture. When this happens, the car starts to get faster, and the fuel economy gets much better. By the time you hit 3000, you should be good to go.

(I have heard that the Nissan 350Z has something similar, but i'm not 100% sure on that. Maybe it's some sort of new trend).

Anyway, I had an opprotunity to sit in the car. The back seat was more roomy then expected. I was also more pleased with the interior in general than I had expected from looking at pictures.

wilson94T

giwojo
09-08-2003, 01:37 AM
I certainly hope youre right! It would be nice to get a little better mileage, especially around town. Ill keep you posted on the mileage issue, I have 1400 on it now and I am in the process of moving to the east coast. that should put me at the 3000 mile mark in a couple weeks. I did notice it running slightly rich, but figured that was inherent to the rotary design. That is the first I have heard about an ECU break-in. Did that guy work for Mazda?

Add your comment to this topic!