Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Glass Interior..

firewerks
08-24-2003, 09:00 PM
now i have seen this type of interior many times, im just curious if anyone on here actually knows how to do this, i supplied a pic just to show you what i mean.

http://albertacars.net/gallery/030614_urbandream/images/DSCN8343.JPG

thanks in advance

scribes
08-24-2003, 10:41 PM
i thought i read somewhere, that you can use a hard type of paint, with mega clear coat or something like that to produce that effect, otherwise i know there are places that you can get custom molded fiberglasss or carbon fiber dash's.....

anywho, i would like to know the exact method as well.

scribes
08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
i just read something about a fiberglass resin that you mix with paint....im not sure, but i think thats a way to get that look. Plus clear coat the shit outta it.

TheNotoriousMogg
08-25-2003, 12:27 AM
thats fiberglassed...and you have to get the fiberglass and the resin and pour it over it...paint, sand their are more steps but i dont remember them

Bambooseven
08-26-2003, 03:22 AM
the best way to do it is to take apart your interior, and use each piece as a plug for a mold to lay fiberglass in. you'd have to smooth out the mold to get rid of the stock leatherlike effect, but it's definitely worth it. If you are really serious about doing it PM me and i'll go through it with you step by step. just know that doing it would be an insane amount of work and more money then you'd expect it to be.I'd make them myself if there was a large enough demand for them, but it's a rediculous amount of work for just one.

Ricochet
08-26-2003, 02:29 PM
I pity the fool who has to drive that thing on a bright sunny day.

toucan
08-28-2003, 02:16 PM
Hello Guys from Chitown,
The interior is cool looking but thats about it, Ricochet is right about the glare and there is a real danger factor. The mfgs would have used the cool look long ago in interiors if it wasn't for the danger and thats why they use non glare and fairly neutral color schemes for the vehicle industry. for safetys sake stick with the non-glares.

:banghead:

T!mmy
08-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Go with it...if you're not planning on replacing the oem dash whenever you sell the car just go right over the original...How many cars have this done? I plan on doing it to my Civic very soon. The way I understand it is that you can just remove the vinyl and then fiberglass over the original dash, sand, paint, and then VOILA! just my idea...correct me if I'm wrong :evillol:

Bambooseven
08-28-2003, 09:01 PM
you CAN do it that way, or you could just spray a coat of gelcoat over it, bypass the whole fiberglass part and then prep/paint away

gotrice95civic
04-18-2004, 08:50 PM
ok i have read several threads... Someone gimme a company name gel coating... isn't enough.. lol.. if gel coating is simple let me know who sells it please so i can apply it to my dash and paint it.. thanks

lkailburn
04-18-2004, 09:14 PM
SEM makes a high build primer that is what most people confuse as 'gel coating' you just spray the primer down, sand and paint as normal but it will come out looking like a glassed peice.... so i've heard

CiV99SnAd
04-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Can someone repost the pic i can't view it for some reason

Ricochet
04-20-2004, 04:21 PM
probably because this stupid thread is 8 months old

CiV99SnAd
04-21-2004, 09:24 AM
never thought of that one

60hz163.5db
04-25-2004, 12:18 PM
usually gelcoat is not usually sold but made it's really color impregnated resin or clear coat of sorts it's hard to explain but if you were here i'd show you... As for safety ha ha ha if it's sunny usually you have shades on anyhoo. As for Oem glassed dashes Nofuckingway that would be alot of work i mean yeah they would have a mold for it but then gelcoating and clear coating the cost along with time needed to prep the dashes would make the car cost alot more than it already does. Since they are looking for cost effectiveness they shall never do this. Also glassed dashes are cool but don't smoke,eat or drink near them they are very prone to stains they also show dust very quickly. Get on your sanding shoes if you plan to make a fiberglass dash. Also buy a big jug of bubble eater....

Add your comment to this topic!