Got a Ticket for Illegal exhaust modification

Civicsiassasin91
08-24-2003, 05:59 PM
Fuckin' COPS!!!! I got a 80$ ticket last night cause some fuck of a state trooper last night. Dude told me that in massachusettes its illegal to have a "modified or aftermarket" exhaust because "they are louder than stock exhaust". :uhoh: Im like what the fuck!!!!!my shit aint loud.. I have a 5zigen fireball catback.. It aint loud..... I know people with 20$ exhaust tips that are louder!!!

Anyways has anyone ever had to deal with tickets becuase of so called "illegal modification"? I don't feel like payin that shit!!!
How the hell do i get out of payin it?

Thanx yall

Melt
08-24-2003, 06:03 PM
find out what your states laws are on modified exahust. Then get your decibal level tested ... and if it is under what your state specifies for the legal limit, go to court and bring em the results of your test ...

90civicrider
08-24-2003, 06:03 PM
You can take it to court and fight it.
I got one of those too. I diddent have time to goto court so I just paid it.

InJ3cted
08-24-2003, 06:56 PM
they had an article about illegal exhaust modification at overboost.. but that is in cali... is it illegal after a certain db, or wat? cus if so i would argue to have it tested

Civicsiassasin91
08-24-2003, 08:21 PM
I checked the ticket. They cop never wrote down any DB level. I'm most def. gonna go to court and fight it. The fuckin state trooper was bein a total dick. He gave me warnings for a big ass list of shit totalling 1200.00$ but only fined me for the exhaust.

crxlvr
08-24-2003, 08:25 PM
definatly find out the DB level of your states law, then have your car tested somwhere and go to court with the proof, try and get the test done soon so the judge wont be like, oh you could have changed it.

el_loco_civic
08-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Move to Mexico, their laws are gravy :iceslolan

Melt
08-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Move to Mexico, their laws are gravy :iceslolan

yeah having to shell out all your cash to a cop when you get pulled over for some stupid shit sounds like a lot of fun.

jusg19
08-25-2003, 12:39 AM
hey,
I'm from attleboro, ma and i found that 1) look and see if the exhaust is DOT approved. if it is, your off. 2) get the DB's tested 3) look up the ordinance # that you broke so you really know what your charged with, 4) you can always go, plead guilty with an excuse and then say you got it fixed and they let you off.

5) just pay it....theres your options

Cjz89civic
08-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Here in cali they give fix it tickets for exhaust, at least thats what I got when I had the FART can on the back when I first bought the car. I had a cop friend of mine write down I changed the muffler, then took it to court and it was $10 court costs.

GTA
08-25-2003, 02:03 AM
Here in cali they give fix it tickets for exhaust, at least thats what I got when I had the FART can on the back when I first bought the car. I had a cop friend of mine write down I changed the muffler, then took it to court and it was $10 court costs.

i got one of those too but mine was checked no for eligible for dismissal...

Custom Rex
08-25-2003, 03:27 AM
2 of these stupid tickets later, i switched from a HP Racing exhaust and i purchesed a stock exhaust muffler, looks stupid, but the sound is all intake/ motor now... Stock Rocks!

1.5 liter
08-25-2003, 01:21 PM
where can u get the db tested at?

BLU CIVIC
08-25-2003, 01:27 PM
i got pulled twice for my exhaust and now my dual exhaust is no more :crying:

Civicsiassasin91
08-25-2003, 06:28 PM
hey,
I'm from attleboro, ma and i found that 1) look and see if the exhaust is DOT approved. if it is, your off. 2) get the DB's tested 3) look up the ordinance # that you broke so you really know what your charged with, 4) you can always go, plead guilty with an excuse and then say you got it fixed and they let you off.

5) just pay it....theres your options

Sweet!! its cool to see someone on here from my area. Do u know of any places where i can get the DB test done and how much it usually costs?

Has anyone else gotten tickets for anything other than exhausts before?

Custom Rex
08-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Sweet!! its cool to see someone on here from my area. Do u know of any places where i can get the DB test done and how much it usually costs?

Has anyone else gotten tickets for anything other than exhausts before?

Omg.. guys out here have got a ticket for pretty much anything u can think of, i've been lucky enuff to recieve, 2 improper exhaust tickets, improper turn signal (color)(had to be amber), improper license plate location (had it in the grill), more but cant remember... couple i remember i've been offered, but told the cop i wasent interested...licence plate tinted cover, too low, intake... tickets can make your night or day shit... i think all of u guys and gals know this...

jusg19
08-25-2003, 10:42 PM
in all honesty, I'd call the local police department and just say you got a new exhaust system and was wondering how you could tell if it was too loud DB wise, and they might even tell you to come down and they might test it right there. they have hand held db testers.

just don't tell him you got a ticket for it already. act like this is to prevent getting a ticket.

LAter~
jus

Civicsiassasin91
08-26-2003, 02:59 AM
Shit thats a good idea....why didn't i think of that :banghead:

Kunundrum
08-26-2003, 07:41 AM
I would also do a Little bit of research, There is a wonderful thing called the grandfather clause (no not the same as santa clause :grinyes: ) that if the Law was passed After you had the exaust on and can Prove it, it does not apply to you! I know my town is trying to make aftermarket exausts and blue headlights Ilegal, but i don't sweat it because of the grandfather clause and the fact that my old man is a atorney. :grinyes:

Good luck dude.

4-Door Flunky
08-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Actually, it's called Ex Post Facto, which might be 'after the fact'.
Grandfather clauses are exceptions placed in each statute, and this is not one of those.
Just go to court and plead not guilty. That'll stall everything for 3 to 6 months. Then when you actually show up for your court date, if the cop's not there, you get off. If he is there, he'll offer to let you off as long as you don't get anymore tickets.
As long as you're polite and don't act like a dick, the system will work for you.
Doing research is always good, though.
Flunky
PS-I got out of my last speeding ticket doing what I just told you.

Civicsiassasin91
08-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Nice. I appreciate all the feedback. I've talked to a few of the local cops here in town.. I'm in the coast guard and we work close with the local PD sometimes. The state troopers that roam the town aren't from around here. I guess they come down here to the beach to get overtime. One cop told me the same thing you guys did.. just go to court and plead not guilty. I think i'll be all set. Its just a pain in the ass you know.

Add your comment to this topic!