carrrnuttt vs. 90redgt

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 05:12 AM
So...me and Brandon (90redgt) met up tonight at about 1 AM to get a couple of runs in.

To start off, Brandon has a 1990 Mustang GT with the following mods:
(I copied it from your sig, man;))
-BBK equal length headers/H-pipe w/cats
-Flowmaster 50 series
-Edelbrock Intake
-3.73 gears
-BBK 65mm T-body
-K&N

I have a 1992 Sentra SE-R with these mods:
-Ignition timing advance
-Generic cone filter (Installed yesterday)

We met up at a Mobil next to a Hooters;).

Here's our very red cars:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/37793890redgt&carrrnuttt.jpg
My camera's shitty, and didn't realize I cut-off Brandon's car...lol.

Anyhow, we decided that I'll follow him to his side of town, where he knows of some quiet places to race in. We figured we'd catch a light, and go from there.

1st race: We got on the freeway to head to his spot, when we got on, I decided a freeway run would be in order. I got next to him, and yelled: "freeway run!!" (all our windows were down). So I signalled that I'd count down. I honk three times and we go. I got a slight jump, but he stayed even with his front bumper at my front wheel. I let-off at about 100, with some light traffic approaching ahead. He says I won, but I'll call that even. We started at about 70mph with me at my strongest gear, third.

2nd race: So we find a quiet traffic light, with no traffic around us, in an almost desolated spot in North Phoenix. I told him to do the count this time, and he honks three times. I chirped a bit, signalling a good launch. His torque + gears had him jump by half-a-car on me. Amazingly, That was as far as it went. Brandon got on his brakes at about 90+, on my speedo, with me half-a-car behind.

3rd race: Immediately after the 2nd race, we just kinda coasted, giving each other the thumbs-up. I slow down and kinda yell at him that we should do it again right then and there. So, we stopped right in the middle of the street, with Brandon doing the countdown again. This time, I had a somewhat shitty launch and spun way too much. He got a car jump on me this time, which his shift to 2nd increased to about two cars. That is where it held, until we both had to slow down, due to the fact that road was merging.

We just sat and chit-chatted for a bit talking about our cars. Brandon says he believes me, when I say that I beat-up on stock GT's, considering he does too, with his mods. I just hope Brandon gets to see this and post before he leaves for Army training on Monday.

I must say, you were cooler than I thought you'd be Brandon, especially for a Mustang ownerhttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif.

Well, that's my story...hope everybody enjoys:thumbsup:.

P.S. Brandon's car sounded awesome!

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 05:31 AM
To add to the above, I showed Brandon my newly-purchased G-Tech, which I realized I forgot to turn on during our raceshttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/banghead.gif.

I decided, I'd do some runs on my own, and see what my car is capable of, measured by the G-Tech.

I went to the access road running parallel to the freeway near my apartments. Since it was nearly 2 AM, I just merely stopped in the middle of the road, with a somewhat straight run ahead of me. I never got another run in, because just as I got done with my run and went down a street to come back around, I saw a couple of cop cars, and didn't want to push my luck. I'm just lucky I don't have loud exhaust that they would've heardhttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/uhoh.gif.

I had a shitty launch, anticipating and spinning too much, but this is what I got:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/741378G-Tech.jpg
Anybody that knows the G-Tech knows that the thing cannot be cheated...you NEED a full quarter-mile of acceleration to get any reading.

Here's my mph:
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/632368MPH.jpg

Took these as I was parking at my apartments. I left the G-tech blinking it's numbers so I can take these shots:).

From the G-Tech site:

Why is my G-TECH/Pro consistently 2-3 mph above the track?

"G-TECH/Pro is a very accurate machine, and the trap speed result that you get from the G-TECH/Pro is actually more accurate than the racetrack. Reason is that the racetrack averages your speed over a 60 feet stretch between two beams and G-TECH/Pro measures your speed at the exact 1/4 mile point."

http://www.gtechpro.com/gtechpro_whatcanitdo.html

So therehttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif.

RACER D12
08-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Very nice carrrnuttt very nice:bigthumb: You have a SR20DE right? if you added a turbo would that make it a SR20DET?

mynismo
08-24-2003, 11:35 AM
good runs, you have a beast of an engine.

just to let you know, gtech gave me a 15.8 on my car, then i took it to the track and ran a 17.2. it may have been because my exhaust system was running against the steering axle, and that i ran it just after i turned it on and didnt let it get warm.

hmm, im sure ill go again sometime soon. its just that the gtech might be wrong, you have to be on a very very even road.

-The Stig-
08-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Yay carrrnuttt... go man its your birthday :boink:

Sounds like fun.... you just wait till I'm ready... I'mma take a road trip to AZ and show that Sentra of yours. Muwhaha.. nah man... but a trip is in order.

We can huck rocks at cars as they pass!

fatninja19
08-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Man, it's so cool when people from the board run each other..... haha... soon, TV.. soon.

KrNxRaCer00
08-24-2003, 02:04 PM
nice buddy, sounds like i need to make a trip down to AZ. :biggrin:

90redgt
08-24-2003, 02:24 PM
those were some fun races. You definately have yourself a sleeper Carrrnutt :smokin: . Your a cool guy, and yes i believe that you can beat stock 5.0's given how close our races were :cool: . After we got done, i went to the illegals and then beat up on some weak little rice burners. I was the only stang out there so it made me look like i was fast as hell. :wink: . This one conversation i had with a kid who owned a lancer said that he wanted me to race a particular civic. I asked him how fast it was and he's all, "its pretty damn quick, quickest one out here right now probably". So i was thinking "quick" as in 13's maybe even 12's. He's all, "low 16's, LOW 16's". :rofl:

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 03:04 PM
those were some fun races. You definately have yourself a sleeper Carrrnutt :smokin: . Your a cool guy, and yes i believe that you can beat stock 5.0's given how close our races were :cool: . After we got done, i went to the illegals and then beat up on some weak little rice burners. I was the only stang out there so it made me look like i was fast as hell. :wink: . This one conversation i had with a kid who owned a lancer said that he wanted me to race a particular civic. I asked him how fast it was and he's all, "its pretty damn quick, quickest one out here right now probably". So i was thinking "quick" as in 13's maybe even 12's. He's all, "low 16's, LOW 16's". :rofl:

Damn. If I wasn't so worried about my car being caught up and impounded or some crap, I would've went with you. You think I would've made some money last night from the local rice?;)

Polygon
08-24-2003, 03:08 PM
That is a nice looking Mustang. As for your car it is pretty good sleeper, it looks stock. That timing advance made a huge difference it sounds like. More than likely that cone filter is what did the trick. :lol:

Nice race man!

Also do you really like your G-Tech? I was thinking of buying one since I fear I won't be able to race the GTC project at the track.

Jetts
08-24-2003, 03:16 PM
booners, you were out in north phx and you didnt tell me
i would of raced you guys
im fast!

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Very nice carrrnuttt very nice:bigthumb: You have a SR20DE right? if you added a turbo would that make it a SR20DET?

Why yes, yes it wouldhttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/icon16.gif.

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 03:31 PM
booners, you were out in north phx and you didnt tell me
i would of raced you guys
im fast!

Sorry man, it was kind of impromptu. I only ended-up talking to him last night, since I have been so busy, and we just decided spur-of-the-moment.

Maybe we can do it again after Brandon gets back in October from Army training:thumbsup:.

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 03:39 PM
nice buddy, sounds like i need to make a trip down to AZ. :biggrin:

Do thathttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/smooch.gif.

Jetts
08-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Do thathttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/smooch.gif.

yea i agree

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 05:04 PM
hmm, im sure ill go again sometime soon. its just that the gtech might be wrong, you have to be on a very very even road.
True about that. I was on a very even road during my run. I would say that my time was somewhat accurate, based on how I did against 90redgt's car. He has ran mid 14-second cars before and he kept-up with/beat them.

Another thing is, the time might be off, but the speed should be pretty accurate.

Polygon, last night was the first time I ever had any opportunity to run with my G-Tech, but I would recommend it. If anything, you can use it as a tuning tool, see how you do before/after mods.

GTStang
08-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Nice.... I'm glad you guys were able to meet-up and race. Brandon I love the Red GT looks real nice!!!!.

sr20de4evr
08-24-2003, 07:18 PM
As for your car it is pretty good sleeper, it looks stock. That timing advance made a huge difference it sounds like. More than likely that cone filter is what did the trick. :lol:

depending on where you advance it to, the sr20 can gain around 5-6whp from it, then the cone filter is another 2whp maybe, add that to a 15.7 car (stock) and it sounds about right. Although the trap is sickly high, I would estimate it should be around 92mph, not 99.

KrNxRaCer00
08-24-2003, 10:02 PM
i need to go find a sentra to race...im intrigued to see how i do against them... :biggrin:

-Josh-
08-24-2003, 10:37 PM
They're both nice looking cars, do you have any more angles of your car carrrnut, i would like to see more of you're nissan....maybe an engine pic to.... :sly:

Tinytim12333
08-24-2003, 11:41 PM
coo, i belive it as much as the race against the 84 5.0 i had on wed night. Sounds like you two have nice cars. I am around 15.5-16 so i should go to the illeagals soon. Ill beat up some ricers.

carrrnuttt
08-24-2003, 11:56 PM
They're both nice looking cars, do you have any more angles of your car carrrnut, i would like to see more of you're nissan....maybe an engine pic to.... :sly:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123338

That was before my cone filter.

-The Stig-
08-25-2003, 12:45 AM
coo, i belive it as much as the race against the 84 5.0 i had on wed night. Sounds like you two have nice cars. I am around 15.5-16 so i should go to the illeagals soon. Ill beat up some ricers.

Well...

Car-Stats.com Report for 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24

0-60: 8.3
1/4 Mile: 17.2

Lets not forget your car is a convertible and weighs 2700lbs which means by default it'll be a bit slower than the coupe.

I dont remember your 'mods' but I'd like to know where you made up the 2 second gap.

Tinytim12333
08-25-2003, 01:08 AM
rebuild, filter, exaust, 160* thermo, also im a good driver and my 0-60 time is near 7.5

-The Stig-
08-25-2003, 01:17 AM
rebuild, filter, exaust, 160* thermo, also im a good driver and my 0-60 time is near 7.5

again... i'd like to know how you made up the 2 second gap.

filter and exhaust isn't going to do much for your car in general, it'll help but its not going to give you the boost in power for the mid 15's like you estimate.

Stock Quad Cam V6 made like 190hp. And the '93 Z24 coupe only could pull in a 18 second 1/4. Filter and exhaust probably only gave you maybe 10hp at max.

See where i'm going with this?

Tinytim12333
08-25-2003, 01:22 AM
130 whp and 178 wtq from my v6

KrNxRaCer00
08-25-2003, 02:50 AM
130 whp and 178 wtq from my v6

wut happened to..."ive got 140 hp and 185 lbs of torque, and i have a 24-2500 lbs with the vert."

since these are ur exact words from over on the ford boards...sorry buddy, jus digging deeper and deeper....

Tinytim12333
08-25-2003, 02:54 AM
wut happened to..."ive got 140 hp and 185 lbs of torque, and i have a 24-2500 lbs with the vert."

since these are ur exact words from over on the ford boards...sorry buddy, jus digging deeper and deeper....

i juss dynoed it today

RACER D12
08-25-2003, 09:09 AM
Your sentra looks real nice carrrnuttt, I really like those black mirrors. I'd hit it:bigthumb: So when you going to put some nice raceing rims and drop the thing a in" or two?

-The Stig-
08-25-2003, 09:20 AM
Your sentra looks real nice carrrnuttt, I really like those black mirrors. I'd hit it:bigthumb: So when you going to put some nice raceing rims and drop the thing a in" or two?

That'd defeat the purpose of having a sleeper. Must appear stock at all times. :tongue:

carrrnuttt
08-25-2003, 12:27 PM
again... i'd like to know how you made up the 2 second gap.

filter and exhaust isn't going to do much for your car in general, it'll help but its not going to give you the boost in power for the mid 15's like you estimate.

Stock Quad Cam V6 made like 190hp. And the '93 Z24 coupe only could pull in a 18 second 1/4. Filter and exhaust probably only gave you maybe 10hp at max.

See where i'm going with this?
Don't mean to correct you Matt, but his V6 was rated at 140HP. The QUAD4 motor is the one that's rated at about 180-190HP. Meaning: his car was still slower than my Beretta that DID run mid-15's.

-The Stig-
08-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Don't mean to correct you Matt, but his V6 was rated at 140HP. The QUAD4 motor is the one that's rated at about 180-190HP. Meaning: his car was still slower than my Beretta that DID run mid-15's.

My bad. :tongue:

Tinytim12333
08-26-2003, 02:09 AM
look at my car it aint new or anyting

fatninja19
08-26-2003, 08:44 PM
look at my car it aint new or anyting

Uh... is that statement leading to any valid point?

RACER D12
08-27-2003, 02:03 PM
Why yes, yes it wouldhttp://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/icon16.gif.

So then why do you want to swap in a SR20DET when you could just add a turbo to your motor?

carrrnuttt
08-27-2003, 02:56 PM
So then why do you want to swap in a SR20DET when you could just add a turbo to your motor?Although the crank/rods are the same as an already-turbo'ed SR20DET, and it can and WILL hold good boost and power, there are just too many things that are different.

Parts are interchangeable, but just buying the parts and replacing the stock parts will cost more than just outright buying a used motor, at least for me, since I have access to the best FWD SR20DET, the GTi-R version, for cheaper than most.

Here are the differences between the DET and the DE:

The DET has oil squirter piston coolers
The DET has a bigger oil pump.
The DET has a different front pulley.
The DET has lower compression pistons (8.3:1 vs 9.5:1).
The DET has bigger injectors.
The DET has direct ignition.
The DET has a variable intake cam, runs retarded at idle, advanced mid range and retarded top end.
The DET has mechanical shim in bucket type lifters with a slightly bigger in duration exhaust cam.

The GTi-R version has these advantages over the SR20DE and lesser SR20DET's

The GTi-R DET has individual Throttle body injection.
The GTi-R DET has stronger main cap bolts.
The GTi-R DET has beefier rods.

The GTi-R DET also comes with a t28 turbo stock, with bigger IC, compared to a smaller IC and t25 for lesser DET's.

For good reliable power, the stock SR20DE is recommended up to 250WHP before you'd have to beef it up a bit, but they recommend you keep the stock rods, which are already strong, if not stronger than some aftermarket rods. That is until you get to the levels below: up to 400whp for a BB DET up to 500whp for a GTi-R DETBTW, I might be getting a turbo on my stock motor before I can get my SR20DET. My friend's shop is considering getting into making turbo kits, that he puts together himself, using refurbished JDM turbos (cheaper). He said that he might want to use my car as a mule to practice his manifold-fabrication skills. So, if he does, I get a free turbo-kit and install:thumbsup:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/tongue.gif.

RACER D12
08-27-2003, 03:22 PM
Ok I see:icon16: Would the SR20DET fit in a 240Z or 280Z

carrrnuttt
08-27-2003, 04:15 PM
Ok I see:icon16: Would the SR20DET fit in a 240Z or 280Z

Well, anything can fit into anything, given enough money;).

You'll need the RWD Silvia SR20DET's for the Datsun's RWD application. You might even be able to fit a an RB (Skyline) motor in there, considering they can be made to fit in the 240SXs.

The 240SX forum guys should be able to help you better.

barrchr
08-28-2003, 01:54 PM
this just doesnt add up. I run high 13s at 99 how can you pull a 15 flat at 99. the mustang MUST have been an auto and MUST have been a POS. Sure it looks nice but to lose to you, a POS. 15 flat sounds about right for the mustang but the nissan maybe 17.50s in good weather . With only bumped timing and an air filter, come on be for real.

RACER D12
08-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Do some research before you open your mouth. Do you know anything about his car, hell you even have a car?:loser:

RACER D12
08-28-2003, 03:56 PM
One more thing:banhim:

carrrnuttt
08-28-2003, 07:04 PM
this just doesnt add up. I run high 13s at 99 how can you pull a 15 flat at 99. the mustang MUST have been an auto and MUST have been a POS. Sure it looks nice but to lose to you, a POS. 15 flat sounds about right for the mustang but the nissan maybe 17.50s in good weather . With only bumped timing and an air filter, come on be for real.
Two questions: How many Classic Sentra SE-Rs have you driven? How many have you actually seen run?

Keep in mind, just because you've seen a random Sentra driven by your local "mobility enhanced domicile"-resident living in Tennessee and all, put-putting along, doesn't mean anything.

-The Stig-
08-28-2003, 07:27 PM

'92 Sentra SE-R's run low 15's stock.

:eek7: Shocking isn't it?

-Josh-
08-28-2003, 09:11 PM

:wtf::angryfire OMG, what a jackass!!! The ignorance of some people!

jon@af
08-28-2003, 09:20 PM

j00 suXXX0r at teh thinking :grinyes:

RACER D12
08-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Anyways to stop flaming you for a sec, its all about gearing. Like your car, it may have strong acceleration in low gears but not much up top. That would explain your 13sec 1/4 but low ET speed. Same here with Carrrnuttt’s Sentra it has a strong third gear (correct me if im wrong) which is were he makes up time and gets a high ET speed. Get it?

carrrnuttt
08-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Anyways to stop flaming you for a sec, its all about gearing. Like your car, it may have strong acceleration in low gears but not much up top. That would explain your 13sec 1/4 but low ET speed. Same here with Carrrnuttt’s Sentra it has a strong third gear (correct me if im wrong) which is were he makes up time and gets a high ET speed. Get it?
Yep. I also mentioned that I had a wildly-spinning launch.

BTW to barrchr (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=72367): I LIKE that my car looks like a POS. It just makes it hurt THAT much more when I burn/keep up with geniuses like you.

-Josh-
08-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Yep. I also mentioned that I had a wildly-spinning launch.

BTW to barrchr (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=72367): I LIKE that my car looks like a POS. It just makes it hurt THAT much more when I burn/keep up with geniuses like you.

i think barrchr just got :owned:

TatII
08-31-2003, 11:42 AM
lolz good one carnuttt

RedLightning
11-04-2003, 06:57 PM
90s stangs arnt that nice good kill or tie

fatninja19
11-05-2003, 01:58 AM
90s stangs arnt that nice good kill or tie

Uh.. good freaking post man. Totally enthralled me with that one. Here's one for you, shut up.

RedLightning
11-05-2003, 06:42 PM
dude shut up u asshole

carrrnuttt
11-05-2003, 09:14 PM
dude shut up u asshole

NO. BOTH of you shut up! http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/mad.gif

Nameless..or is it Dork? Anyhow...easy on the car-bashing. You should know by now that kind of stuff don't fly here.

KrNxRaCer00
11-06-2003, 04:09 AM
Uh.. good freaking post man. Totally enthralled me with that one. Here's one for you, shut up.

haha...i love it...

let'm go carnuttt...u should see the civic forums...

the mod's get into flame wars there...its great :lol:

j/k...way to keep the peace.

ah, btw like everyone else said, the sentra is a low 15 second car (for the thousandth time, to the thousandth person...)

911S_TARGA_RSR
11-06-2003, 04:16 AM
Nice Runs. I think G-techs are pretty cool havn't tried one out yet.

solotop186
05-12-2004, 11:55 PM
if you were to have the sr20det in your se-r how much closer would the race have been do you think you would have won with that 90stang

youngvr4
05-13-2004, 12:03 AM
do you know how old this thread is!! stop

carrrnuttt
05-13-2004, 01:29 AM
Damn! Memories! :p

As much as I would like to keep the 'memories alive', no dead thread older than three months old shall be revived, thank you.

Add your comment to this topic!