Power window "sticking"

GenoPhillipe
08-24-2003, 12:24 AM
The driver's side power window "sticks" on the way up. the window motor is fine. I've cleaned the glass several times and tried to clean the weather stripping. any other ideas? are there weather stripping cleaners/lubes?

BullShifter
08-24-2003, 02:20 AM
Try using silicone
What kind of car?

Steelrat
08-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Silicone should help for now, but you'll probably have to keep applying it. There are probably other channels inside the door which could use a cleaning and lube if you havent done them allready. When your window is attempting to go up do you hear the motor working. Lots of regulators or motors I have replaced due to just being weak. There are so many different styles of window systems, you would have to be specific, there are plastic cable, metal cable, gear, direct linkage, hook ups from the motor to the window in many different cars.

GenoPhillipe
08-24-2003, 11:53 PM
At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot. Can you recommend a brand of silicone? Wouldn't that leave a smear on the window? Thanks for the advice.

BullShifter
08-25-2003, 12:05 AM
I think the stuff we use is made by Pyroil - you can find silicone lube @ any auto parts stores. It will smear if applied heavy, only a thin layer is needed - wipe down with a rag. Like steelrat said your regulator is probably on its way out.

BigDanTheMan
08-25-2003, 01:39 AM
even though you think your motor is fine, there still could be a problem - like gear slippage, perhaps some of your teeth are worn.

Boxchevyondubz
09-01-2003, 02:02 AM
It's possible that you may have something obstructing the track, your best bet is to remove the door panel, and with the window down, go throught the track to assure nothing is preventing the window from operating properly. If the window has been broken, a piece of glass will easily prevent it from raising and lowering smoothly, but you'd most likely hear a scratching sound when moving the window.

mabawa
01-28-2011, 11:15 PM
I have a 1967 Olds 442 convertible with power windows. I have had all the window motors replaced and the windows aligned. However, they tend to stop working on a regular basis. The last time I took the car back to my window/electrical guy, he said the problem was that the windows stick if raised completely. He said he had to free them with a rubber mallet they were so tight. He also said that the only solution was to drop them a bit after raising; that no lubrication would work. This of course is rather inconvenient in the rain.

I know this is an old car and the channels can get a little bent over time. But I am perplexed that proper alignment and lubrication does not eliminate this problem. I raised the matter with my body shop and they were just as perplexed.

Anybody have any ideas or comments.

Thanks. Mabawa

Add your comment to this topic!