Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bugatti Veyron 16.4

XOTech
12-01-2001, 03:31 AM
I just made an in-depth comment in the "Bugatti, not a driver's car..." Thread, but realize that it would be far more efficient to start a new thread. There is a lot of information and much to discuss about the new Veyron, so here it is.

I will post a few pics shortly that I have. I have a few good shots of the two-tone Blue Veyron that I saw at the Geneve Auto Show in March in Switzerland. Of course, the new Red and Black car has hit all the magazines as well.

JE123
12-01-2001, 11:02 AM
Is that the one with the W16 engine? Could somebody post a pic of the engine.

Chris
12-01-2001, 03:22 PM
There are threads titled 16/4 Veyron here, but I'm always up to discuss it (especially with someone who will actually deal with it!)

It is a V16 engine, and here it is:

http://www.supercars.net/PicFetch?s=1&pic=2001_bugatti_16-4-9.jpg

XOTech
12-01-2001, 05:00 PM
Chris,

I meant to start a new thread back at the first level under Bugatti, but I obviously got something wrong. I may have to start another thread there as "Nonspecific" under Bugatti just doesn't seem to capture the uniqueness of exotic cars. :) Seems kinda Yawny..

Soon enough I suppose. Thanks for putting up the picture of the engine. You are right on top of things.

Chris
12-01-2001, 08:57 PM
Ya, "nonspecific" seems kinda dowdy, especially when talking about the best cars in the world!

XOTech
12-12-2001, 10:43 PM
This question may have already been asked, but what is the general opinion of the two tone paint scheme on the Veyrons?

My opinion is that it works well with this car. As far as production, I think it will fly very well. I am not quite sure of the price just yet. It has varied widely. In general, I think the car will survive as a production car.

Here are a few images of the known cars that currently exist or that have had various paint schemes throughout their show life.

XOTech
12-12-2001, 10:44 PM
xx

XOTech
12-12-2001, 10:45 PM
Sorry that last image was a little bigger than I thought.

XOTech
12-12-2001, 11:03 PM

Hudson
12-14-2001, 09:42 AM
Those paint schemes are to connect the "new" Bugatti to classic "Bugs" of the past. They remind me of the Type 57s, mostly...which I'm sure was the idea.

XOTech
12-14-2001, 10:51 PM
Hudson, as is the intent by Bugatti, to give respect and lineage to their past, the paint scheme are a great tribute to the older ledgends. It is quite a departure from a normal exotic car paint scheme, but it suits the car very well. There are other combinations that I would like to see on the car, but those I have seen (both in person and in pictures) is very impressive.

I was able to sit in the Blue/Dark Blue car in Geneva while it was on the turntable stand. To have the car with its alternative paint and the interior like I have never seen in any other car was quite an experience. I was impressed enough with the car to pursue further discussions with the Bugatti rep in regards to bringing the car in some way to the US. At this point, it looks as though that will become a reality.

I am not sure that any of the existing or concept exotic cars on the market (or soon to be) today could get away with a paint scheme like this. Of course, the Lamborghini Diablo looks good in nearly any color and I have seen nearly every color one could imagine on that car. I have seen several ranging colors on the McLaren with none looking anything less than perfect (I would probably not order a green metallic McLaren, but it still looks good). The Ferraris are pretty much limited on color, but the newer 360 has broken some new color molds. Some work for the car, some do not (I can't say that white will ever thrill me, but someone may like it). The F50 was limited to Red, Yellow, Silver, and Black. However, I have seen a few odd colored F50s, light metallic blue, and a metallic green car. There are rumors of other colors as well. My opinion-the 4 primary colors are it. I didn't care for the others.

If Bugatti can make the car look as appealling as it does now in the two tone combination, I think it will stand out in the future as a great car. That cannot be said of most exotic cars.

a007apl
04-02-2002, 05:32 AM
http://www.club-internet.fr/automobile/Medias/2002/02/22/images/normales/PIC670.jpg

banchi105
04-02-2002, 01:51 PM
That car is insane. Awesome.

But IMHO I think it needs a lil something on the back like a spoiler or something.

banchi105
04-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Absolutely Stunning.
But it looks like it needs a lil something on the back, like a spoiler or such.

Chris
04-02-2002, 02:15 PM
I believe it has a deployable rear spoiler, which goes up at a certain speed. However, the mark of true aerodynamics is not needing a spoiler for downforce.

banchi105
04-03-2002, 02:14 PM
I see what your saying - but Im talking purely appearance-wise. It looks to be missing something. Looks something like a beetle ( the insect not the car) - Still awesome :)

XOTech
04-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Chris, excellent observation. True indeed is the technical merit of an Engineer who does not need the addition of a rear stabilization surface to maintain stability at top speeds. However, I do agree with banchi105 in that it does lack a little in shock appeal that could be answered with a well designed cosmetic and functional rear wing. The deployable surface that is currently designed into the rear section is purely functional and offers little in the way of looks when not travelling at 200mph. Possibly, it would be nice to have a compromise that integrated nicely into the shape but offered top speed stability.

Maybe even a wing that deployed higher for cosmetic appeal but would reduce its deployment partially for efficient top speed aerodynamics, and fully stow when not under way.

darklight
04-04-2002, 11:50 PM
awsome car,but it But it looks like it needs a lil something on the back, like a spoiler or something like that

banchi105
04-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Man this car absolutely rocks.
I just found a site talking all about it.

7 speed double-clutching sequential transmission!?!?!?!
using paddle shifters located behind the wheel.
my word ( that means no clutch pedal ) This is insane.
the longest time between shifts is 0.2 seconds. Wild!

0-186mph in under 14 seconds!!!! That is so insane.
253mph top speed

AWD - With LSD's at the front & back!
Cockpit designed for superior sound through the top-of-the-line speaker system.

7,988cc engine
16 cylindars
4 turbochargers at 18 psi.

and the most amazing feature
922 lb-ft of torque!!!!! thats like semi-truck :)
you could pull the statue of liberty around town with this baby.

i know alot of that has already been said
but im just soo amazed by this car.
wow
:bandit: :frog:

Chris
04-05-2002, 04:17 PM
banchi105 : You and me both:D

XOTech: Or perhaps you could deploy the spoiler manually, like the side cooling slats in the Lamborghini Murcielago.

XOTech
04-05-2002, 08:46 PM
Chris, that is precisely what I was driving at. Even if the company doesn't go through with this type of mod, once the first car comes here to the states, and owner willing, I am sure my company could fabricate something quite innovative that would look very appropriate on the car and integrate into the existing electrical system. If all goes well with the production efforts, we may see them in the US yet.

XOTech
04-05-2002, 08:56 PM
Banchi105. Those stats are well worth repeating here. The numbers are mind boggling. When they were announced at the Geneva Auto Show, the media was stunned. No one has ever claimed to be able to reach or even attempt 0-186 in 14 seconds. If the car is actually able to do it, there will be no question of its place in the superexotic industry and an instant classic for years to come. Of course, to back those numbers up, the rest of the equipment built into the car is very potent. There are many "Firsts" for an exotic car. The transmission is very impressive, a technical marvel.

I hope it does not befall the same loss of enjoyment that other paddle shift cars do. I find that the Ferrari 360 F1 and other paddle cars really lack the feel or enjoyment in normal driving. It is a blast to drive up through the gears. The quick, concise shifts and instant power. However, in daily driving, I find it quite bothersome. It is my preference to drive the 360 6-spd.

Of course, a proper opinion may not accurately be made until a test drive is made. We shall have to wait and see.

eddy_2790
06-08-2002, 04:47 AM
This car rocks. It has 736kW :eek2:

YellowMaranello
06-11-2002, 03:56 PM
Actually, If you look at this pic, there is a small spoiler...
http://www.vwvortex.com/news/09_01/bugatti/02.jpg

YellowMaranello
06-11-2002, 04:26 PM
Heres a pic of the interior too.
http://web.ecomplanet.com/JONE4883/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/JONE4883CustomImage0309007.jpg

YellowMaranello
06-11-2002, 04:28 PM
I feel the need to post a pic of the engine too, because I cant get the other one to work.
http://web.ecomplanet.com/JONE4883/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/JONE4883CustomImage0313407.jpg

|Banchi1O5|
06-17-2002, 01:22 AM
anyone know if the turbos are all sequential
or do they
go 2 at a time
(thats what im guessing)

v10_viper
06-22-2002, 03:20 PM
The Bugatti Veyron has a W-16, not a V-16, it is two V-8's basically put side by side, hell of a lot more complicated than doing that, but then the quad turbochargers cover 4 cylinders each if you look at the exhaust headers. And yea the spoiler does pop up at a certain speed just like the spoiler on the Murcielago. I dont know why someone would want a spoiler on a Veyron cuz i think it'd look ugly, unless you could find one that looked really good on it. also with it being an automatic rear spoiler, it'd be nice to have a manual and auto mode with the manual u being able to set it at a certain degree(º). and the 16/4 is 16 cylinders, 4 turbos. and the paint scheme, hudson thinks they look like bugs of the past, well thats partly to that Volkswagon owns Bugatti, or is at least associated with is because Volkswagon came out with the first ever "W" engine using a W-12 concept, and the have the W-8 in their Passat. and i'd also think that the turbochargers are sequential because if it just goes 2 at a time then it would make 8 of the 16 cylinders have a different force. :sun:

|Banchi1O5|
06-22-2002, 08:27 PM
Having the turbos go sequentialy would not make 8 of the cylindars experience more compression because each of the turbos run to all cylindars- usually in a twin turbo - they have 2 different sized turbo's one for quick spooling at low rpm's and one for high. considering this is quad turbo im wondering if it works upon the same concept:smoka:

Chris
06-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by v10_viper
The Bugatti Veyron has a W-16, not a V-16, it is two V-8's basically put side by side
It would be like the V8's stacked on top of each other. Like the VR6 is 2 V3's on top of each other(:confused:)

I can't find a picture at the moment, but it is the same concept as the new W8.

And about the turbos, they look so small compared to the engine that I imagine they are full-time, light-pressure turbos. Just like on the Bugatti EB110. (Except it was a 3.5L V12 with 611hp.)

|Banchi1O5|
06-24-2002, 12:14 AM
ok that makes since

Hudson
06-24-2002, 11:13 PM
...and the paint scheme, hudson thinks they look like bugs of the past, well thats partly to that Volkswagon owns Bugatti...

Owning Bugatti means nothing in this case. Volkswagen bought Bugatti from Bugatti International a few years back. All they got in the transaction was the name. Bugatti International acquired the name from Hispano-Suiza in the late 1980s. The only connection between any of these incarnations of Bugatti and the Bugattis of old is the name.

|Banchi1O5|
06-24-2002, 11:16 PM
vw did bump production from 50 to 150

bastards :)

|Banchi1O5|
06-25-2002, 01:51 PM
even tho 253mph is insane
it kinda seems to me that the buggati should be able to hit the 60's?

the f1 could do 241 with 650hp
but the buggatti does 253 with 1000hp?

i know the drag effeciency at this speed is an absolutely huge factor - but shouldnt 400hp be enough to push past just 10mph faster?

YellowMaranello
06-25-2002, 05:02 PM
The Veyron might be heavier then the McLaren. I can't find the weight of the Veyron anywhere, so I'm not sure on it, but thats my guess.

v10_viper
07-24-2002, 07:20 PM
The engine wouldn't be 2 V-8's stacked it is two V-8 cylinder banks at a 90-degree included angle. If u want the full of this car just ask and I'll tell ya the website. :cool:

|Banchi1O5|
07-25-2002, 11:23 PM
yep and quad turbo'd as well
;)

v10_viper
07-26-2002, 10:21 AM
along with all wheel drive and a 7 speed paddle shift transmission:D

|Banchi1O5|
07-26-2002, 10:20 PM
and big pimpin rimz

Chris
07-27-2002, 04:21 PM
The engine wouldn't be 2 V-8's stacked it is two V-8 cylinder banks at a 90-degree included angle. If u want the full of this car just ask and I'll tell ya the website. :cool:

a 90-degree included angle ????????:confused: I don't quite understand what you mean. The W-16 is like a large-angle V8 with a narrow-angle V8 stacked on top of it, shifted slightly to allow its cylinders to fit on top and between the wide angle V8.

Here is a quote from Car and Driver to support my statement of an engine on top of an engine: The angle between the outer bore centers of the left bank and the outer bores on the right is 72 degrees. The inner bore angle is 42 degrees,

And here is a picture from Road and Track:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/images/rt_images/2001/october/2001_10_vw_passatt_w8_engine.jpg

v10_viper
07-28-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Chris

a 90-degree included angle ????????:confused: I don't quite understand what you mean. The W-16 is like a large-angle V8 with a narrow-angle V8 stacked on top of it, shifted slightly to allow its cylinders to fit on top and between the wide angle V8.

Here is a quote from Car and Driver to support my statement of an engine on top of an engine: The angle between the outer bore centers of the left bank and the outer bores on the right is 72 degrees. The inner bore angle is 42 degrees,

http://www.roadandtrack.com/images/rt_images/2001/october/2001_10_vw_passatt_w8_engine.jpg

http://www.roadandtrack.com/images/rt_images/2001/october/2001_10_vw_passatt_w8_engine.jpg [/B][/QUOTE]

But if they were stacked then why would the call it a "W" configuration? [I]Two exceptionally narrow V8 cylinder blocks using the VR principle are combined at an included angle of 90 degrees.[I] I believe that that means two narrow V-8 blocks each at a 45º angle are put by each other for that included angle of 90º. So that would make the engine a "W" configuration, the cylinders would be like this \ | | /.

|Banchi1O5|
07-28-2002, 01:19 PM
maybe it was so they could put the 'w' in "vw"

because they already have a v6 right?

now where do the inline engines fit in :p

Chris
07-30-2002, 09:21 PM
a 'V' designation does not quite fit, as it is shaped like this: (with the ones in the middle up a bit)

\\//

Kinda like a W, huh;)

YJHeD
11-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Wow, that's one ugly car.

Chris
11-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
And it is quite attractive, IMO.

YellowMaranello
11-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Just knowing what it is and what it has makes it pretty enough, although I agree with Chris on its looks.

kazama
12-13-2002, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Chris

the engines concept is explained by an animation on the bugatti s.a.s. - website.
http://www.bugatti-cars.de
it can be found under models>veyron>engineering>engine>stories from 1001 ps.
sorry, can not add the link directly, the site requieres flash6

v10_viper
12-13-2002, 08:41 PM
In that video they show them taking two v-8's, putting them side by side and combing the crankshaft and just altering the inside cylinders to not touch each other. As I was watching that I thought it'd be really hard to keep it from overheating with the cylinders that close, but I guess with a company like Bugatti, they took care of it. Thanks for sharing that site with us, very interesting to watch the videos. :ylsuper

kazama
12-14-2002, 09:09 AM
As I was watching that I thought it'd be really hard to keep it from overheating with the cylinders that close, but I guess with a company like Bugatti, they took care of it. :ylsuper

you are right. the engine concept requires a well calculated cooling circuit. in the end 90's bugatti developed a 18-cylinder engine based on three 6-cylinder engines.
these three cylinder banks were arranged about 60° (don't know the value exactly) around the crankshaft. therefore the cylinders were that way close at eachother that
some thermodynamical problems occured. so the engine never hit the production line.

Chris
12-14-2002, 06:51 PM
not only heat, but keeping the engine balanced is difficult.

v10_viper
12-20-2002, 08:31 PM
It would be intersting to know the firing order of the cylinders, if say they basically were two v-8's, would 2 cylinders not fire at the same time then? just crossed my mind i guess

Scott 02
01-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Sure would be fun trying to find the spark plug that failed.:D

PerfectGame
09-17-2003, 12:37 PM
I was at the International Motor Show this week where I saw the new Veyron!

Made 2 Pics,sorry for the blureness!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96267&page=2&pp=15

Look at the First Post on the second site,

farzin32
09-28-2003, 11:00 AM
hey man that is some nice pics!bugatti is a very nice car but it is a shame bout the blurryness and that it has been delayed for 18 months!

Hudson
09-30-2003, 11:17 AM
you are right. the engine concept requires a well calculated cooling circuit. in the end 90's bugatti developed a 18-cylinder engine based on three 6-cylinder engines.
these three cylinder banks were arranged about 60° (don't know the value exactly) around the crankshaft. therefore the cylinders were that way close at eachother that
some thermodynamical problems occured. so the engine never hit the production line.

Actually, Volkswagen developed the "W18" from six three-cylinder engines. I believe you are correct on the bank angle. It was odd to look at because from above (in the engine bay), it just looked like a V12, but there was that third bank below which wasn't initially obvious. When the engine is displayed, it looks odd with it's V12 plus six.

farbod
09-30-2003, 12:06 PM
man bugatti is a beast 1001bhp wow anda quad turbo engine

v10_viper
09-30-2003, 08:39 PM
man bugatti is a beast 1001bhp wow anda quad turbo engine

Does anyone know anymore specs on the engine, say like compression, boost from the turbo, bore/stroke. It'd be interesting to see how much power it'd make without the turbos. I'd guess around 500 or so but i dont know.

farbod
10-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Year 2002 Origin Not Available
Make Bugatti Base Price $750 000 USD
Model 16/4 Veyron Production Not Available
Engine & Transmission Body / Chassis
Position Not Available Drive Wheels Mid Engine / 4WD
Configuration Quad Turbo W16 Curb Weight Not Available
Valvetrain DOHC 4 Valves / Cyl w/VVT Length 4466 mm / 175.8 in
Displacement 7993 cc / 487.8 cu in Width 1998 mm / 78.7 in
Power 746.5 kw / 1001.1 bhp @ 6000 rpm Height 1206 mm / 47.5 in
Torque 1250 nm / 922.0 ft lbs @ 2200-5500 rpm Wheelbase 2700 mm / 106.3 in