Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

white smoke???

xavierfg
08-23-2003, 08:04 PM
i just completed the MPFI swap on a 91 CRX DX w/ automatic transmission. At first, i was leaking coolant from the gasket connecting the block to the intake manifold. I fixed that, but only after leaking a LOT of coolant out the bottom of the engine bay and maybe into the engine?

There is also a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe and was just wondering if anyone knew where it was from, maybe from the coolant burning?

Here are the parts i used:

- 91 si intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail/injectors, etc.
- 90 si distributor
- 88-89 integra LS automatic transmission ECU
- 91 si injector resistor box

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

whtteg
08-23-2003, 10:22 PM
White smoke = coolant burning
Grayish smoke = oil burning
Black smoke = the motor is burning too much fuel (running rich)

dirty91crx
08-24-2003, 05:01 PM
burning coolant produces white smoke out the tailpipe....many things can cause this from a bad headgasket to a warped head....cracked head/block. just about anything that will allow coolant into the combustion chambers. one way to tell if its the headgasket is open the radiator and see if there is alot of bubbling in the antifreeze...this is not a sure proof way but it can help at times. my first peice of advice is remove the head and look at the head gasket....any signe of leaking? corosion....clean spot anything like that? if so replace head gasket and have the head milled a bit to ensure it is straight...if it isnt it could be something major of maybe not. you could still bea leaking through the intake gasket if you didnt already replace it as well as didnt clean the surfaces properly...you would have to check and see.

Plasmex
03-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Ok, Im also burning a little bit of white smoke, by all means, it is not a lot, it is only a little bit that you can barely see(if you can see it at all) 90% of the time if its really humid at night i can see a little cloud of white smoke when i start at a stoplight, but it quickly disapates. Im not sure what could be causing this. Recently I had my block milled and bored out, forged 11:0:0 cp pistons installed, a BRAND new type r head, also recently installed Rc 310cc injectors, ITR cams, and Skunk2 camshafts.
RIght now the engine as it is only has 120 miles on it. I dont know if my headgasket isnt totaly sealed yet? or if there is anything else that it could be. There is no coolant being burned or anythign of the sort. my oil remains clean and not milky, or foamy.

Plasmex
03-24-2004, 08:22 PM
hmm also, i would like to add that i have a no catalytic converter, might that cause it?

projectsilvia97
03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
i just completed the MPFI swap on a 91 CRX DX w/ automatic transmission. At first, i was leaking coolant from the gasket connecting the block to the intake manifold. I fixed that, but only after leaking a LOT of coolant out the bottom of the engine bay and maybe into the engine?

There is also a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe and was just wondering if anyone knew where it was from, maybe from the coolant burning?

Here are the parts i used:

- 91 si intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail/injectors, etc.
- 90 si distributor
- 88-89 integra LS automatic transmission ECU
- 91 si injector resistor box

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

i had the same problem. i then realized that my head gasket was cracked. this may or may not be your problem, but i hope i helped.

Add your comment to this topic!