Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Stalls

JimBlaich
08-19-2003, 10:58 PM
I guess this is a specific question regarding stalling.

The plymouth horizon start (if you read my last post) is now fixed. I have been able to get the thing to start. There is a problem though.

The car starts rough but runs. After some tweaking of the idle the car idles properly. The problem arises when the car is put into gear. This is a 1986 plymouth horizon automatic transmission.

Putting it in reverse or in drive causes the engine to slow, deisel, and then stop.

Any ideas?

BTW, I can rev up the engine and pop it into gear and drive. If I have to stop at a stopsight, light, etc., the car deisels and stalls.

I would appreciate any help.

papaditty8273
08-20-2003, 10:11 PM
My buddie has a horizon to. He just rebuilt the carb, and it ran fine. But i will tell u to get about 5 parts cars cause u will need em. his horizon lives in the junkyard every day! it is a 87 horizon pimp mobile!!!!
As soon as he fix one prob he has another! :(

Just_A_pal
08-23-2003, 01:03 AM
My Horizon is fuel injected 2.2 GM 1988 Auto. I bought it about 2 yrs. ago and since then have not had any significant problems. What I really love is widely available parts for it from any junkyard. Carb. models are a little overly complicated and critical for adjustments. I think your buddy can convert it into a fuel injected one. Carburettor and AUTO tranny is the worst combination ever. Ask any good mechanic. Good luck.

Just_A_pal
08-23-2003, 01:12 AM
I guess this is a specific question regarding stalling.......................................... .........................................
Putting it in reverse or in drive causes the engine to slow, deisel, and then stop.

Any ideas?

BTW, I can rev up the engine and pop it into gear and drive. If I have to stop at a stopsight, light, etc., the car deisels and stalls.

I would appreciate any help.

I'm happy to help you dear Jim. There must be a cable or something like a special link, that slightly increases rpms when you shift in gear by pushing in throttle. Check for proper adjustment of this cable. If there's no such thing I recommend to increase idle to about 1000. And see if it helps. Also a bit rich carb setting on idle will help along with ignition retard.

Honor
08-27-2003, 09:45 PM
The horizon I had :screwy: did that to me for a while, till I found the leaking vacuum line. Sparying the crap out of it with carb cleaner helped, but only a little. The real problem turned out to be a pin hole in a vacuum line coming off of the carb somewhere. Can't remember for sure, but hope that helps.
:)
Honor

sojourner
03-22-2004, 06:52 AM
If the car is starting hard, multiple things like they used a metal gasket for the intake and exhaust manifold connection where it bolts to the engine, my friends car just was a hard starter, in desperation replaced this metal gasket, could see where it was leaking on the gasket after it was replaced with a non metalic gasket, its started well ever since, etc... Found several other problems on her car, needed the charcoal canister replaced, which had plugged the purge control valve, that has a vent line that goes to the carburator, rather than replace the purge control valve, just made a simple filter assembly and disconnected the the vacuum line from the purge control valve to the carb and the car used to have an hesitation problem, it has not hesitated since pulling off the vacuum line from the purge control valve to the carb, configured some plastic fittings so it was only drawing filtered air, and connected this all to the purge valve so it was still interconnected, though the line to the carb was always drawing air through the filter or any air from the purge valve which was plugged, I was meaning to replace the purge control valve from the junk yard, kind of expensive, at the dealer, but the car has been running great, no hesitation, it used to cut out on corners, etc...I had to replace the hall sensor, and the fuel sensor, think I replaced all those relays that cause all the different kinds of problems with the horizon, the voltage regulator was fried too, but its running great, my friend just loves the car, its just one of those cars you tend to have a love hate relationship with, etc...

P.S. I had charcoal in my carburator, requiring me to clean up the carburator, if it got sucked into the carb, if your charcoal canister burst, you would probably see black charcoal in the float needle valve, but if the car runs without problems by lifting the vaccum line from the purge control valve, it might make the car not to hesitate, though its not too hard to clean the carburator, auto zone has carb kits, just blow out all the vent lines, when your done, etc...

Add your comment to this topic!