Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

V8

DragginWagon
08-19-2003, 08:15 PM
I've been thinkin about doin a conversion to a Corvette Z06 powertrain for a while...

caddyman379
11-26-2003, 11:30 AM
dude, i wouldn't put one of those 345HP engines in the catera. i dont how big the engine bay is exactly, but i doubt it would fit in and if it does you'll have some heavy vibrations when idling or on light acceleration. i say this because i have the oringal engine in a 98' catera and while its running perfectly there is vibration and its noticable when idling.

guardian44
03-02-2006, 08:48 PM
I've been thinkin about doin a conversion to a Corvette Z06 powertrain for a while...

A small V8 maybe, carefully chosen for weight and size. But a big, heavy engine fuggetaboutid. The Catera is more than just the engine: there is handling and weight distribution, powertrain capacity, and a hell of a lot after that.

You need to research the transmission, U joints, and rear end to learn how much torque they can handle RELIABLY. Power generated by the engine, which never reaches the rear wheels, is useless.

Also, you'd better be good at computer engineering no matter WHAT new engine you choose. That Cat computer is going to be looking for a bunch of engine inputs. They better be there and be right, else you had better know how to rewrite the programming so they will not be missed.

Jaguar D-Type
03-06-2006, 05:35 PM
Don't reply to a thread that is more than two years old.

DragginWagon,

Why don't you just buy a CTS-V?

Add your comment to this topic!