Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Altima Cyl. 1 misfire ck eng code

bwilliamson
08-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Hi, I have a 95 Altima bought new, I now have 195,000 miles on it, with 145,000 of it being highway miles.
About 9 months ago it started having a lurch in it about 42 to 50 mph.
It got progressively worse and I took it in and they said they thought the EGR value was going bad, they cleaned the ports and changed some type straw thing . It got a little better for a while, and now it lurches just a steady little lurch again between 40 to 60 now.
My check engine light comes on about once a week, especially if I have been driving for more than 2 hours at a time. When it is checked the code says cylinder one misfire, they replaced the plugs and wires, did a complete tuneup and it still comes on and says that, they now say that maybe my ignition is going bad.
Any ideas from anyone?
Thanks for your help
Beth

98altima
08-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Well Altimas are known to have bad distributors after while. One other thing, the spark plug wires, Altimas are picky on those, if you dont have the right one they like to act crazy.. umm other than that, take it to AutoZone they'll give you a free diagnostic.. and tell you whats wrong with it..

bwilliamson
10-08-2003, 05:58 PM
I had previously posted about my Altima lurching between 40 -60 miles an hour.
At one point the Nissan shop thought it was I think it is called the EGR valve. Then they said it might be the ignition.

I had the EGR replaced and it still does it, if I take the transmission out of overdrive it does not do it.
Put it back in OD and at about 40 when the OD kicks in, it starts this little constant lurch.
I have been told there is an overdrive modulador (modulator?) valve on the transmission, the nissan shop avoids that question for some reason.Has anyone heard of this valve or have any suggestions.
Has new nissan plugs and wires.
Thanks
Beth

98altima
10-09-2003, 07:31 AM
OK lets see, take it easy here since my english is not soo great (dam puerto ricans lol) Lurching does this means hesitating, well if it does, lets start with the simple stuff.. Change the oil, spark plugs, and spark plug wires, try not to get the cheap ones from Autozone since the Altimas dont like them, try to get some NGK.. after you dont that, then if you know how, check your distributor cap.. I try not to listen to Nissan because they want your money, and if I had a shop and you came in and didnt know anything ill want your money too, just kidding but check that and see what happends.. post on here if you need anymore help..

bwilliamson
10-09-2003, 01:16 PM
I guess I should say it is a surging type motion, like at 45 miles per hour in OD you get this jumpy type surge or lurch and it doesn't stop until you go under 40 or take it out of Overdrive. Some days it does it worse than others.
It has brand new high temperature Nissan Gold plugs and Nissan wires.
I had a complete tuneup, the oil is changed every 3000 -3500 miles, always has been.
Nissan doesn't know what it is either. Guess I'll just drive it till it won't drive anymore.
Thanks for your help and interest.
Beth

Add your comment to this topic!