Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting up 10 month parked car

Sman
08-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey, wassup guys I'm new on this board and to cars too. I just turned 17 so I really don't know much about cars but I want to learn. Anyways My dad owned an automatic 88 accord until he bought a 2002 civic, so the car has been sitting outside my house for about 10 months so I decided I wanted to fix the car for myself and use it for my last year of high school. I went to start it up today and nothing happened, no noise no nothing. I kept turning the key and there was no response, so i tried turning the light on but they wouldn't go on either. My dad bought the battery 2 months before parking the car so the battery was new, but I went and put in a different battery anyways and I got the same thing with that too.

So I don't know what to do with it. I hope some one can give me some advice on this. oh and btw is there a good site for begginers like me where i can learn the basics of a car.

1MYSTIKLXI
08-18-2003, 10:48 PM
talk to your dad he may have pulled some stuff to keep you from starting it like your trying to now ! :p

Sman
08-18-2003, 11:05 PM
lol... nah man, I talked to him about it. I guess I gotta call a tow truck and get the car into a workshop.

tenguzero
08-19-2003, 12:25 AM
I can't find the posting right now, but someone else posted something like this recently- they had purchased a car that had been sitting unused for some time... etc. There were some real good suggestions posted, I don't think it is older than a month.
As far as car mechanics? If I ever have questions about ANYTHING, (including automobile stuff) www.howstuffworks.com is the BEST site. Chances are you'll find something about whatever you're looking for.

Sman
08-19-2003, 12:24 PM
was it on the accord board or some other board??

esp
08-19-2003, 04:27 PM
sounds like a dumb question but does it have gas in it? even if it does get some new gas and siphon out the old gas, because the gas is probably bad inside it and doesnt have any of the stuff in it anymore to make it run. peace

Sman
08-20-2003, 12:45 AM
U guys think that maybe it has bad alternator or the fuses need to be checked, cause nothing works like radio, lights, horn etc...
I don't know if it is the alternator or the fuses, anyone got any suggestion.

BullShifter
08-20-2003, 12:58 AM
Is the battery currently in the car any good? Have you tested it?
A battery thats sits for 1 months can loose its charge.
Try jump starting - see what happens

Yes check all the fuses

The gas is probably bad, also new spark plugs/cap/rotor wont hurt.

Plastic_Fork
08-20-2003, 01:00 AM
Might be a dead battery. My '88 Accord sat unused for a few weeks on a perfectly good battery and it had trouble starting as well (practically needed a jump). The battery'll go dead on you if you let it sit too long. Ten months? I'd say try another battery or have it tested first before you drive yourself nuts on other possible issues / solutions.

Sman
08-20-2003, 02:03 AM
those are good suggestions and I will try all of those, but does it sound like anything is wrong with my alternator?

AKKORDINGLY SICK
08-20-2003, 07:07 PM
was there maybe a reason why ur dad bought another car?

Sman
08-20-2003, 07:17 PM
well my dad had the accord for 2 years and it run perfect except for the last few months. It was only minor stuff like worn out break pads and stuff like that. Anyways it didn't start a couple of times and the car idled too high sometimes. I guess he got fed up with it and he always wanted a new car and that was enough a reason for him. He was going to sell it but it needed some little work so he just left it (LAZY). So yea that is the story on the accord and now I want to start it up and use for my school cause it has 190 clicks on it, which is good considering it is very rare to find 1992 and under hondas with less than 200 clicks and most of them that do have it under are 3500+ CDN $. I live in calgary and it is very very hard to find honda's with low km cause everybody has em.

Add your comment to this topic!