Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya Models

soch89
08-16-2003, 07:07 PM
In a Tamiya model I can't seem to find a skill level. So can someone tell me what skill level they compare to in the Revell-Monogram models. And this is a little off subject but, when you guys paint your engines do you follow the paint recomendations with all the different blacks (gloss, satin, flat) and the other colors that are basicly the same? Thanks for your help.

--[]--Jeffrey--[]--

max_speed
08-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Hi! for the skills it depends on the kit put it's between 2 and 3.

Dave

73superduty
08-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Personnaly I check out real 1:1 cars engine bays and even custom cars. It just depends on what you are building and how you want to build it.
Most of the time the directions are not quite what the real cars are.
Chris

Fastphil
08-16-2003, 07:25 PM
Jeff,

I've never built a Tamiya myself, but they are typically far more detailed than any american kits (Revell, AMT, etc.) which means they are usually harder to build. Some Tamiya kits are curbside models, meaning the hood is molded shut and there is no engine. These are easier to build, but don't look as realistic.

As for painting, Tamiya usually goes to great lengths in designating different finishes for different underhood parts to make the whole look more realistic, and it's a way for them to get modelers to buy more of their own line of paints. Of course, there's nothing stopping you from painting everything under the hood the same color. After all, you build it, and you get to do what you want with it! The whole point is to enjoy the build and/or the finished product.

max_speed
08-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Hi!! For the skill number you can also go on www.hlj.com and search for a specific car that you want to know the skill.

Dave

Vric
08-16-2003, 09:32 PM
Tamiya kit are easyer to make than Revell cos it's don't have any fitment problem.. the only thing that make a kit harder or not is the decals on the car... engin's are not really a problem.. so between 2 and 3

cyclone1410
08-17-2003, 12:01 AM
It depends upon the actual Tamiya kit as some are easier than others. However as a guide they cover a skill range from 2 to 3.

As for painting engines, check out reference sites for 1:1 cars as the recommended colours contained in the instructions are not always correct.

freakray
08-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Jeff,

I've never built a Tamiya myself, but they are typically far more detailed than any american kits (Revell, AMT, etc.) which means they are usually harder to build. Some Tamiya kits are curbside models, meaning the hood is molded shut and there is no engine. These are easier to build, but don't look as realistic.

Actually the fact that Tamiya models are so accurate and their fit is so good, it is easier to make them look more realistic than any Revell or AMT I have frustrated myself with.

The fact that the kit is curbside doesn't detract from the realism if you're a skilled enough modeller and spend enough time on the finer details on the interior and body, it can look as realistic as any other model.

Perhaps YOU should build a Tamiya kit before shooting off with misguided comments - just a friendly piece of advice.
I know you would get upset if I said AMT are crap yet followed the statement with an 'I've never built one'.

ShOrtyOC714
08-17-2003, 02:20 AM
From building a Tamiya model Revell, is a crap brand, skill levels on Tamiya kits are around 4 maybe..... Cuz alot of Revell kits are 2. Well the ones i have seen. I will never go back to Revell, when there Tamiya, and Fujimi!!! :smile:

Hiroboy
08-17-2003, 02:31 AM
Tamiya Models rock, shame there is not a bigger range of cars like Fujimi.

egon_dude
08-17-2003, 04:53 AM
I found that once i started building tamiya kits i never went back to any other manufacturer. Ive been building kits for years, starting with airfix, revell and matchbox planes, but the first tamya kit was such a revelation the only other kits that come close (that ive built) are hasegawa and more recent academy minicraft kits, although the detail isnt quite as good.
The most recent (ie post-1990) tamiya kits are superb, the fit of the parts is really good and theres not much mould lines to worry about. The earlier ones are still good but the detail isnt as sharp due to the age of the moulds. Some of them (like the Newman porsche 956) are being re-released with new decals that are really nicely printed, so the finished model will still look superb.
The only problem with some tamiya kits is that they go together so easily theres a tendency to just throw them together without taking as much care as you would with a revell or AMT kit.
Oh and the engine colours do make a difference as the subtle variations in colour make it much more realistic. But ive found theyre not always 100% correct, so make sure you have decent reference material to refer to.

EMAXX
08-17-2003, 09:46 AM
I've been building Revell since I was like 5, then I found Tamiya. :grinyes: I'll never go back. They make the parts so much easier to put together, but they are a little harder than the Revell models.

soch89
08-17-2003, 03:20 PM
I have another question...I realized that tamiya doesn't make hot rods and muscle cars, is there a manufactuer (sp?) that you can suggest that makes high quality classic car models?

--[]--Jeffrey--[]--

EMAXX
08-17-2003, 03:40 PM
I really like the Revell Classic cars.

hirofkd
08-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Tamiya kits are so well engineered, that it actually requires less skills to put together. So, it's fare to subtract one skill level from Tamiya kit to match the Revell and AMT, for example, if a detailed Revell kit is rated 3, then a detailed Tamiya kit is 2. Even the latest kit Enzo only requires basic skills to complete. Easiness of assembly and realistic detail are always top priorities of Tamiya.

Add your comment to this topic!