Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Painting Question

SonyMobile
08-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Hey Guys I no this is a stupid question but... Do you take the parts off the tree, sand down the little bits or sprue then paint them, and attach them to the model?

The way im doining it is painting all the parts while on the trees then clipping them off with small nail cutting scissors and trimming them with my hobby knife....

how do you do it??

malsheem
08-14-2003, 11:26 AM
I leave all small parts on the trees. A little bit of sanding and a quick rinse/dry and then to the airbrush. I find it easier to manage the smaller parts while they are still on the tree. Bigger parts (interior tub, chassis, etc) I take off the trees.

RicardoD
08-14-2003, 11:52 AM
After you remove the small parts from the tree (this is after they have been airbrushed), how do you deal with the now unpainted area where the sprue was. Do you go back and touch up with a brush. (I guess my question applies to small parts whose sprue will be exposed after assembly)

Ricardo

malsheem
08-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by RicardoD
After you remove the small parts from the tree (this is after they have been airbrushed), how do you deal with the now unpainted area where the sprue was. Do you go back and touch up with a brush. (I guess my question applies to small parts whose sprue will be exposed after assembly)

Ricardo

Some parts that section is not visible or glued over with another part, so I just leave them. For others, since it's a small area just a quick pass with a paintbrush does it for me. It works good and looks fine. I know some people like to get things absolutely perfect, so I guess this isn't for them. It works good for me.

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-14-2003, 12:13 PM
If I'm building a curbside "for me" then I paint the smaller parts on the trees, and touch up as necessary after they've been clipped.

If I'm building a contest model, then I'll remove each part, trim the sprue nib, polish/sand/scrape off the mold lines, and airbrush the part with paint, following up w/detailing the part w/extra colors using a paintbrush.

I do the "for me" stuff 95% of the time, nobody ever really knows. I spend my time on the parts you see, the body/interior and don't worry over a few tiny nibs on suspension/chassis parts.

600sel
08-14-2003, 12:31 PM
I always cut everything from the tree, sand, prime, sand again and paint them...

EMAXX
08-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I paint all the small things on the tree. Makes it a lot easier. The big things like bodies, interior and stuff, I take off.

Add your comment to this topic!