Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'79 widebody

knorwj
08-14-2003, 06:36 AM
I tried posting this in the datsun forum but there hasn't been any new post in here since i posted this 3 days ago so i figured i would try here

ok so just to let you know i have no idea about anything datsun related.
but... a friend of mine just recieved a really sweet looking datsun in trade for painting someones car.

the for sale sign reads 1979 datsun 180zx widebody. (is this right? i can't find any material relating to a 180zx)

now my questions are,

is the widebody factory equipped? (looks sooo nice!!)

how rare is this car? how much is it worth? (I have never seen this type of datsun (widebody) before?

and how hard would it be to restore? I may try and buy it from him if its worth it ( I really like the way it looks!)

also what type of engine is in it?
and if anybody has them maybe a few specs of this cars performance.

Henry8866
08-14-2003, 09:29 AM
If it's a 79 datsun Z then it's a 280z. They didn't come with widebody so that's an aftermarket kit. Restoring it to original would cost a good amount of money depending on what condition it's already in. Go here Motorsportauto (http://www.motorsportauto.com) That place sells EVERYTHING for datsun and nissan Z's. You can get all replacement parts from there. Just fill out their form to get a catalog. The engine is an L28. 2.8 liter inline 6. The old Z's were slow in the 1/4 mile, doing 16's, but you can buy a 280zx turbo engine L28ET and drop it in there with no major modifications needed since they are basicly the same engine.

knorwj
08-14-2003, 09:19 PM
If it's a 79 datsun Z then it's a 280z. They didn't come with widebody so that's an aftermarket kit. Restoring it to original would cost a good amount of money depending on what condition it's already in. Go here Motorsportauto (http://www.motorsportauto.com) That place sells EVERYTHING for datsun and nissan Z's. You can get all replacement parts from there. Just fill out their form to get a catalog. The engine is an L28. 2.8 liter inline 6. The old Z's were slow in the 1/4 mile, doing 16's, but you can buy a 280zx turbo engine L28ET and drop it in there with no major modifications needed since they are basicly the same engine.

i spoke to the guy and he said it already is turbo he thought it came that way from the factory

Henry8866
08-14-2003, 11:19 PM
hmm is he sure it's a '79 Z? Turbos weren't put on the Z's until '81. Maybe someone already did the swap

knorwj
08-15-2003, 12:04 AM
hmm is he sure it's a '79 Z? Turbos weren't put on the Z's until '81. Maybe someone already did the swap

well since the sign said it was a 180zx and you said it had to be a 280zx then its entirely possible i suppose that he had the year wrong to

Add your comment to this topic!