info on rotary heat

DoriftoSX
08-12-2003, 09:17 PM
I hear RX-7s are fun cars and i always wanted one..and eversince i saw the FC3S in Initial D i have wanted a 89-91 rx-7 don't care if it is a turbo or not.

but they do run warm..is this b/c its a rotary or did mazda slack off in the cooling area..and is this something a aftermarket radaitor can fix with the help of a few other things?

also what kinda mileage do rotarys get..i'm guessing 18-20 mpgs?

dayna240sx
08-13-2003, 09:08 AM
They do run a little hotter than a piston engine. they have a longer combustion chamber which makes them abit less effecient thermally. the exhuast gasses are also a couple hundred degrees hotter (great for turbo spooling).. there are other factors, but these are the main ones...

Because of this Mazda did not SLACK at all on their coolant systems, rotarys must have an oil cooler, a certain 30+% of their effective cooling is done through their oil system. RX-7 oil coolers are among the best availible. No company makes a better oil cooler than the stock cooler for an RX- car.

You should take a look at their radiators. In all second gen RX-7's there is a pretty big Aluminum core with plastic tanks. which are fine for mild build-ups..... once you begin with increased boost, advanced timing etc etc, you should consider going to a fluidyne, Griffen, or CR radiator with dual Spal fans.

It is imperitive that used (all are) RX-7s have their coolant system inspected from time to time, a fan clutch failure can cause an engine to melt.

Let us know what amount of HP you are looking for, and I'll reply with a possible way of attaining it...

DoriftoSX
08-13-2003, 04:34 PM
not alot.. maybe 260 - 350 max hp just enough to have fun and get the rear wheels loose from time to time :biggrin:

MaxRX7
08-14-2003, 10:46 PM
rotaries just produce lots of heat due to the combustion cycle.

epa mileage is listed at 17city/24hwy.

no one can be a masteooooooooooooo Doriftoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooo
in any other car than a Silvia :yugosmili

Add your comment to this topic!