Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water getting into car!?

darkaccord
08-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Has anyone had this problem too?

Water is getting into my car (1995 Accord LX) somewhere around the driver and back seat door. This causes the carpet on the driver's floor and back seat on the driver side to be wet. It only happens when it rains, so I think its a broken seal, or water is not draining properly.

I've tried spraying water on the car to see if I can figure out where its getting in, but no luck.

streetrays
08-21-2003, 03:05 PM
you sure it's not the A/C clogged water-coming-out problem..

if it's not A/C problem, then go ahead and spray more water on your car..

dfaulkner
08-22-2003, 12:45 PM
I have sorta the same problem. My car was hit on the drivers side by a deer, since I got it fixed, whenever it rains, I get water trickling into the car right behind the drivers seat. I think the upper trim water drain track is not put in correctly or doesnt sit right. I havent been able to tell where it comes from yet.

krichardson
08-29-2003, 01:00 PM
If you have a sunroof, check the drains. The old 86 I had had that problem. There's four drains, two front and two rear, since they know that the sunroof seals will leak. They clog over time and require you to clean them out with a long wire, otherwise water will leak into the car from the pan.

darkaccord
09-02-2003, 05:05 PM
If you have a sunroof

No I don't have a sunroof. I think I'm going to have to take it somewhere, because winter is just around the corner, and I'm afraid of water condensing on the glass and frezzing.

93hybridaccord
09-02-2003, 11:26 PM
How much water are we talking here? Is it just damp or is it standing water?

darkaccord
09-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Usually it's just really damp, but sometimes after it rains a lot I've seen standing water on the back seat floor (because it was parked on a hill.)

Also I can't dry it because it has soaked the padding underneath the carpet.

scarecrowdjinn
09-03-2003, 09:15 PM
well it sounds like you need to get a friend with a garden hose :o)
and have them spary that side of your car around the door seals to see if it's a bad door seal. ... ok here's a question. Do you tend to notice it when more when it rains... OR when you drive while it's raining? Because the water might be kicking off your tires while driving and seeping up though the body someplace. Since you live in NY you might have some rust spots someplace that's allowing the water to get in this way.

Good luck, hope you find the solution soon and post the answer.
later

craig

darkaccord
09-04-2003, 06:23 AM
well it sounds like you need to get a friend with a garden hose :o)
and have them spary that side of your car around the door seals to see if it's a bad door seal. ... ok here's a question. Do you tend to notice it when more when it rains... OR when you drive while it's raining? Because the water might be kicking off your tires while driving and seeping up though the body someplace. Since you live in NY you might have some rust spots someplace that's allowing the water to get in this way.

Good luck, hope you find the solution soon and post the answer.
later

craig

Yeah, I tried all that. The water definetly gets in when it rains, I know this because when there were puddles in the back seat, I hadn't driving in over a week.

H22A1Accrd
09-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Yeah , i have the same problem, whenever it rains i can feel water splashing at me (like it is hitting something first) i have spent like 30 mins trying to find it with no luck.

scarecrowdjinn
09-04-2003, 10:59 AM
ok, these are my last two ideas :)

1)The water might be getting in the bottom window gasket that seals the lower edge of your side window. The water runs down your window to the inside of the door and leaks out to your carptet from the bottom of the door.
I would remove the inside door panel and see if there is any water in there, and then try the old garden hose again and see if you can see anything dripping down from the inside of the door.

2)Next time you think it's going to rain, try puting a cooking pan on the floor over the wet spot. if after a couple of rain storms you see water in the pan then you know it's "Falling" into your car vs seaping in from someplace else.

3) move to arizona!
lol, I know your frustration, because my accord has a cronic leaking tunk problem, come to find out that the water was spining off my tires through
a rust hole direcly into my trunk.... It's only took me like 3 years to figure it out LOL.

well, again best of luck, and hopful you'll find the fix and post the answer for others,

later

darkaccord
09-05-2003, 07:31 PM
1)The water might be getting in the bottom window gasket that seals the lower edge of your side window. The water runs down your window to the inside of the door and leaks out to your carptet from the bottom of the door.
I would remove the inside door panel and see if there is any water in there, and then try the old garden hose again and see if you can see anything dripping down from the inside of the door.

Thats not a bad idea, I think I'll try that.

Tracey-D
10-06-2003, 11:50 AM
Hi! I have a water problem with my 1991 Honda Accord. There is always water on the driver and rear floor after rain, but not after I douse it with the hose. I see orange slime near the corners of the sunroof. I tend to believe its leaking. Does anyone have any recomendations?

scarecrowdjinn
10-06-2003, 12:15 PM
orange slime? ummm. well frist i'd check to see if your sunroof drains are cloged. there should be a drain on each of the four corners of the sunroof.
and each drain should exit around the wheel some place.
use a cup a warter on all 4 drains and see if they all drain.

as for the water on the floor, do you notice it after a rain with the car sitting, or after you've driven the car in the rain?

Tracey-D
10-06-2003, 02:07 PM
I notice water inside the car when the car is sitting. The water leaks just started in August (or maybe I noticed them because that was when we finally got rain.) There is always a dampness in the car because the back wheel wells are rusted, which allows water to enter the trunk area. But regarding the water entering the interior of the car, I can say that I notice water entering the car only when it is sitting still and not when I'm driving it. Does that matter?

Tracey-D
10-06-2003, 02:13 PM
One more thing about the leaks in my 1991 Honda Accord...when I open the rear doors to let it try to dry out, lots of water runs off from the back doors.

silveraccord
06-13-2004, 11:19 PM
you sure it's not the A/C clogged water-coming-out problem..

if it's not A/C problem, then go ahead and spray more water on your car..

I'm having a similar problem. Water leaking on front passenger and driver's side. Water dripping underneath from just above the resting foot and same thing on passenger side, just a few of inches above the floorboard. When making U-turns i can hear a swooooosh,.. like water in a pan being tilted left to right, pretty sure that's happening. I suspect water is being collected somewhere and not draining right.

How do I check the clogging you mentioned? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

silveraccord
06-16-2004, 02:34 AM
I got a friend to help out with this problem, sharing it with you guys.

Apparently, the a/c gets dirty and clogs up the outflow in the hose or the connecting piece on either end. There's a little black hose underneath the glove compartment, we pulled it out and flushed it through. Seemed pretty clean. Got a thin piece of wood (something slightly bigger and longer than a toothpick) and scraped the insides of the two ends where the hose is supposed to join. There was a bit of dirt collecting that prevented the water from flowing out. Remember to cover the hole with your finger before putting back the hose so the water wouldn't fall on the floorboard. I guess alternatively you could get a funnel or something to collect the water. About a litre of water came out. Now I've got a wet floorboard to deal with. I put newspaper to try and collect as much water as possible. Does anyone know how to dry out the floorboard? Anyways, I also found out that the a/c needs a bit of cleaning. Probably get that done soon, most likely by a professional. I don't mind doing it myself if anyone has some tips...

Later.

mattimeo_boyd
01-31-2012, 05:04 PM
I have a 1995 Honda Accord EX. I recently moved to a city in Alaska where we get over 120 inches of rainfall per year. I'm having a problem with the passenger side carpet getting wet. I pulled the carpet back and it seems the majority of the water is in the front right corner. I've ran wires down my sunroof drain holes, but the problem is still present.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!