Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

So what is it like to drive a Countach?

Zartuul
08-12-2003, 04:29 PM
Countach is a dream car of mine that I hope to own someday. How much attention do you get when driving down the road? Anyone got any gawker stories to share? :) Women go crazy over it?

How about comfort for either an original or a replica? How feasible would a replica be for an everyday car?

Scarecrow
08-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Don't know about the comfort in a replica, but the original is cosy enough, if you're not too tall.

Yes, you get lots of looks, pointing fingers, stares and waves. What do you expect - it's an outrageous looking car, and there aren't that many of them about.

Most memorable gawk is being followed by a bloke whilst his wife/girlfriend hung out the passenger window trying to take pictures.
Made me chuckle to myself.

Don't know about it being a babe magnet, as I am happily married! Loads of people (blokes and girls) have asked to be taken for a ride, so if you are in the market, who knows what luck it might bring you?

HTH.

:wink:

lamboman
08-29-2003, 06:53 PM
have had 2 women tell me that they love me when they seen the car,but mostly you just get pestered by kids with the usual "nice car mister".As for driving forwards buitifull,reversing headache,and dont even think of going into a multystory carpark likr i did in Colchester what a pain.Apart from that i love it :) :) :)

HASNAZ
09-01-2003, 10:54 AM
The clutch is bloody heavy, at least on the lp5000s. It might be a little better on the 25th anniversary. No power steering so the steering is naturally heavy, inside, the lp5000s looks like the designer has used a ruler- everything is very square (except the steering wheel). It is very hard to get into and your legs get stuck under the steering wheel in the process of getting in and out. Also you have to plan routes or stick to main roads coz its so wide and has only 5 inchs of ground clearance! The rear window is about the size of an envelope and half of the view is restricted by the massive rear wing (if you have one installed). But you'll forget about all these things when you hear the amazing roar of the V-12 behind you and the heads turning as you go past. Though the looks are a little dated now it still attracts stares. In my view the pros far outweigh the cons but believe me you will eventually get tired of difficulty to drive this beast, for me it was a stepping stone to my diablo which I think looks far better and is also easier to drive.

lamboman
09-05-2003, 02:35 PM
Have just had my QV out today and as luck will have it just as it started to go dark the headlights came up,but would not come on,typical Italian wiring.Will have to spend all day tomorrow tracing the fault.Apart from that have had great fun especially when i passed a golf GTI at 115mph on a minor a-road GREAT.

lamborghinineeder
10-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Have a story on me driving the countach at
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/forum/messages/28/993.html?1066152844

Hope this is approprite at this forum.

bruciebonus
01-14-2004, 04:31 AM
Have a story on me driving the countach at
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/forum/messages/28/993.html?1066152844

Hope this is approprite at this forum.

I'm also happily married. It does arract attention over here, but nice attention. Here some of the bigger BMWs make people envious. The count seems to get peoples respect because they admire it as opposed to feeling jealous.

I've had someone write on the body with their finger in the dirt "marry me"!
Strangers in petrol stations want to be your best mate.
Audi drivers seem to have a chip on their shoulders over here, they'll do anything to stop me getting past1
Mitsi Evo owners allways want to race, and then run away with their tails between their lags.
The only time you feel really in the spot light is if you need to reverse it into/out of a parking space! You have to jump in, feet first, legs straight and slide under the wheel. Then leaving the door open, fire her up engage reverse, and whilst keeping your foot on the clutch, climb out so your bum is on the side door sill, then with your chest touching the roof look back over the back of the car and feed the clutch out! this does get a lot of attention, not for shrinking violets!

-FROG-
02-12-2004, 04:15 PM
LOL! All of these stories are true in my case with my replica too. NO, a replica is NOT a daily driver but I do drive it to work on occasions. Of course my car won't do 180+mph but runs about like a Mustang GT and gets ALL the looks and attention as discussed above. I'm only 28 so people deffinately freak out when I tell them, "yes, it's mine....it really is mine". The sound of my car is dramatically replicated to the origionals from my custom exhaust design. It does weaken out at higher RPM's but this is the main part that fools people, they tell me, as I begin to talk to them and break down their curiosities. Of course, I always tell them it's a replica when they ask "Is it real?" You would be a fool to tell someone it's real and not be honest with them. I respect Lamborghini too much to lower the value to the level of my car. The reason I know it sounds real, is because there is a real one around my neighborhood and other exotic owners have told me this as well. (12" glass packs do wonders on a V6)Yes the Countach is the old school origional exotic as far as supercars go, BUT When I go out with my Ferrari, Viper, and other Exotic car buddies, I promise, the crowed comes to my car first. The look of the Countach screams "Come see how low I sit and enjoy my curves and flairs!" If you can afford a real one, get it! If you con only afford a replica, buy the best most accurate one you can find!

-Davo
03-08-2004, 10:58 PM
or buy a porsche or something that's in equal value to the countash (or diablo) replica..

seriously.

93 thousand bucks? american, that's almost 130 australian, you can get a good 911 or boxter for that much. And it's real.

-FROG-
03-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Porsches are EVERYWHERE in the U.S. They have totally lost "Shock Value" in my openion unless it's a 911TT or something in the $80,000.00 price range. I have become disghusted with Boxters since they pop up like Honda Accords now days.

DiabloGT
03-09-2004, 03:34 PM
for 80,000 i would never buy a replica, i would buy a real one, i would probably add 20k and buy an old diablo, or just buy a new viper :P, but i would love the countache if only the interior wasnt too square, and old looking...

TheSilentChamber
04-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Porsches are EVERYWHERE in the U.S. They have totally lost "Shock Value" in my openion unless it's a 911TT or something in the $80,000.00 price range. I have become disghusted with Boxters since they pop up like Honda Accords now days.

Heh I piss off Boxters in my 96 Buick Regal.... nobody expects to be raped by a 'grandma car'...

ralfabco
04-10-2004, 11:19 PM
My wife and I spent 1 1/2 hours in the car at night on the freeway.

We were going to a 4RE party. We had five (5) different people take

pics of our car with a flash while we were on the freeway. I suppose

some people forgot there camera.

There are some funny gas station stories also. Like can I go purchase
a camera. Do you mind waiting while I go buy a camera. No problem
it is only 10:45PM on a worknite. Oh sure I will just wait. Yeah sure.

lamboman
04-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Put it this way if your shy then don't buy a countach.People stop to take pictures of my car whilst it is parked outside of the house here and i think it is one of the most photographed cars in England no other make of car can claim that. http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/500/39219dsci0013-med.jpg

Zartuul
04-18-2004, 04:14 PM
Hehe awesome stories! Ok I admit it, I'm an attention whore and one of the reasons I like the Countach so much is its shock value. It's easily one of the most recognizable cars in existence. I just think it would be cool having people gawk at your car.

Scarecrow
05-05-2004, 08:18 AM
It may be one of the easiest recognised cars ever made, but I have still had people say to me "nice Ferarri". Bl00dy cheek!! :grinno:

lamboman
05-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Trample the dancing donkeys every chance you get

-FROG-
09-07-2004, 12:38 PM
It may be one of the easiest recognised cars ever made, but I have still had people say to me "nice Ferarri". Bl00dy cheek!! :grinno:

LOL! I get that ALLLL the friggin time! I have actuallly had some kid say "nice Porsche" once.... Parents don't bring their children up right. :(

ehnriko
01-13-2005, 01:49 AM
I was a bit hesitant in opening this thread, late as it seems but - as I started reading your stories - I cannot stop!!!

I am 35 years old from the Philippines and I am fortunate to own a replica of the venerable Cuontach LP4000S - but when I got it - it was in a misserable neglected state - not running, front suspension missing, wiring - not useable anymore, wheels not correct and flat, brakes - cannibalized - but what the heck_ When I towed it out of that rich mans warehouse - All necks broke as the tow truck passed by with a Lamorghini towed at the back.. by the way, it's painted red and it has the tail. It was such an amusement to see peoples face as their jaw dropped staring at the car... I still can't forget the looks on their faces the first time they saw it. I don't think there's a Lamborghini Countach in the Philippines... although I heard rumors that Marcos and some cronies of him had one or two - but they never really drive them around the country.

Anyway, mine is built hand made - and it was built by a professional sheetmetal craftsman in the early 80's almost the same time when the first LP400 was introduced. During those days, the guy who had this made could not import an original one since it was impossible during those days due to Government restrictions, so he secured photos and literatures as well as scaled drawings. The built everything from scratch, the space frame was built out of angle bars and the skin was placed over it - all in sheet metal - and down to last scale. The seats and the cabin was also replicated. The only thing wrong they did is basing it on a VW. At any rate, they compensated the width by putting really wide wheels. I am not happy about that cause it means I will have to replace that or convert it further to exacting details. At any rate, for a country that's not accustomed in seeing luxury exotics like the Lambo Countach! This replica serves its' purpose. already a lot of people have been fooled in the village where I live, it's just parked outside, and the Japanese neighbor was going around it telling me - Nice Ferrari! - What a ####! Anyway, I told him, no, it's not a car, it's not even a Lamborghini... It's a Volkswagen!

I was at the brink of selling this car already but as I read through this thread - I have decided not to sell it anymore. I'll push through with the project. I just don't know if I'll enjoy long drives in it, though it's cozy and snug inside, but my head is always hitting the ceiling, and sometimes- I'm feeling a bit claustrphobic if I sit long enough inside and not moving. But - what I'm really trying to say is that, you immidiately step into a different world as soon as you're inside a lambo with the doors closed. with the door up - it's again another world. But you just can't help get the feeling that you are king! inside a Lambo - replica and specially the real one. There is really magic with the shape of this car. The Germans would call it "Formschprake" Form language.

Selling it is like commiting suicide. No - I'm not going to sell it anymore. Thanks guys for your inputs. It's really inspiring.

MORE POWER to you!!!

Add your comment to this topic!