Need Help With 1985 Buick Grand National

BAC N BLK
08-11-2003, 03:35 PM
I just bought a 1985 Buick Grand National, it was a repo from a bank, I think I got quite a steal for it, I have looked under the hood and it needs some work. The engine block is a little rusty, the person who had it installed some NAS, and I think the the flywheel is messed up, now I am not looking for 7 second runs or anything, but I would like to add some speed and fix it up pretty good and keep it barely street legal anybody have any suggestions or can help me out? Thanks

B

tman
08-11-2003, 03:55 PM
by NAS, do you mean Nitrous?

The Grand National has been my dream car for many years, enjoy it.

Get the engine running in top form before pursuing mods, then I'd reccomend a more free flowing exhaust, headers, perhaps a larger turbo and intercooler. I'd leave it stock if it was mine.

Hypsi87
08-25-2003, 12:23 AM
the 1985 cars where hot air cars (no intercooler) they where rated at 200HP. im not to shure exactly what is avaible for you to modify. it is hard to find a bigger turbo for your car because of the design. my suggestion to you is intercooler, SMC alky kit, adjustible fuelpressure regulator and find a way to turn up the boost ( buy a knock detector before you play with that ) but thats where i would start.

BAC N BLK
08-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Hey thanks for the info, it does have a cooler system, so I guess I am a little confused on that part, anyways I will take it into one of my buddies who knows more about this car than I do, I don't know a whole lot about the 85, I know more about the 87 model and the GNX, my buddie had one, thats how I know about this car, well thanks for the info I will certainly take everything into consideration thanks,

BAC N BLK

Hypsi87
08-25-2003, 06:12 PM
if it has a cooler system that it is an aftermarket deal they did'nt come from the factory intercooled. the turbo is on top of the motor next to the firewall right?? if it is not then you might have an 86 or 87 motor (turbo up front by the battey) if by chance you do have that than your in luck let me know eith way or

Andy

Add your comment to this topic!