Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What's the best car out there for under $5k

Gamezilla
11-27-2001, 08:29 PM
Right now I drive my mom's old 91 GXE. It's not a bad car, but my mom took VERY poor care of it, and I'm gonna have to "share" it with my sister in August when she turns 16. Now, I know this isn't going to work, so I've started looking for a new car. Right now I'm kinda interested in another Maxima (92-94 SE 5spd), but the kind I'm looking for is just about as rare as a Supra. I don't really want to get a 4th gen (cheaper quality and rattles), though. I want a car that has a decent amount of hp in it from the start, but it really won't matter cause I'm gonna mod it anyway. I'm really lookin for a car that:

1) runs pretty cheap
2) lasts a LONG time (I've seen Maxima's with 300k+ miles)
3) Can be modded pretty easily and pretty cheaply (preferably by myself)
4) Looks sproty/luxuries or just sporty
5) Is at least a V6
6) Can hold more than 2 people (preferably, but if there's a car out there that fits all the other catagories, then that can work too)
7) Has at least 160hp (I'm not taking a step back from my Maxima unless I can mod it for DIRT cheap to raise the hp a lot)
8) Has a pretty reliable (at least as reliable as the Maxima)

I know it's a lot to ask for, but I garantee someone out there was looking for the same thing and found it. If anyone has any suggestions, just post (I'm pretty open to just about any suggestions).

blacksnake98
11-28-2001, 10:29 AM
Personally, I would recommend a 87-93 Mustang 5.0. It is still my favorite body style of Mustang, and it's hard to beat the old 302c.i.d. engine. They could take a beatin' and keep on tickin'. Not to mention, you can modify the engine to unheard of power for a small block V8. Just my .02.

YogsVR4
11-28-2001, 01:15 PM
For 5K I would think mods are not going to be coming for awhile. You should redirect any mod money to getting a better car. However, if getting a quick car reliable car for 5K is what you want. The Tarus SHO is not a bad bet. It has the best engine that Ford ever built.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

LiuBei
12-03-2001, 10:17 PM
I would go out and buy something with the label Honda or Toyota on it. Like an older civic, accord, or camry. You can't go wrong. And believe me take what you can get, not always what you want

LjasonL
12-17-2001, 11:29 PM
88 toyota corolla gts. okay its not v6 and it doesnt have 160 hp, but can be had for dirt cheap (if u can find one), reliable as hell, front engine rear wheel drive 5spd with a light chassis and good suspension makes for a GREAT handler, fun as hell to drive! and the aftermarket is very large for it as they are extremely popular in japan for road racing and drifting. even though it doesnt have 160 hp im doubting it would lose to your maxima, if it did it wouldnt be by much. but it HAS to ba a gts, and they a lot harder to find than the regular corollas.

Bean Bandit
12-28-2001, 08:28 AM
Well I don't know if this car exists where you live but for what you asked you should take a look on Opel Calibra V6. They are pretty nice and about what you want.

GTStang
01-14-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by YogsVR4
For 5K I would think mods are not going to be coming for awhile. You should redirect any mod money to getting a better car. However, if getting a quick car reliable car for 5K is what you want. The Tarus SHO is not a bad bet. It has the best engine that Ford ever built.

At first I was gonna suggest a 87-93 Mustang and I still will. As long as you not tooo picky bout having a car that is only really a 2 seater. Those engines are bullit proof. I have an 83' wit a 302 and it has 260,000 beat on miles and still runs fine. Also the are a ton of parts the engine is a lot easier to work on than a jap car and parts are cheaper. You can get an absolute cherry one for $5000 and good luck finding one that hasn't already been moded. Avoid autos though, weak tranny

But then I saw YogsVR4 suggestion and agree. This was my first car so I can tell you the FORD Taurus SHO is an awesome car. This car was designed to compete with the Maxima and even more so BMW 3-series. You can get it with a 5-speed,sunroof, leather, etc.., This car is faster than a Maxima SE and turns better. The years you want is between 92-95 this is before the used the ugly body with the slower V-8. Prob with this car is it does not have the best engine ford ever made... It has the best engine Yahama ever made. The V-6 is made by Yahama and puts out 2220hp at 3.0L for the 5spd and 3.2L with auto both have same hp rating. Because of this parts for this engine can be very expensive cause they come staright from Japan. Also the aftermarket parts for this car are tought to find and very expensive. But if you want a sharp looking 4-door car that can run with a 5.0 Mustang and then out turn it, this is the right car.

P.S. The engines are know for getting 200,000+ miles

CivyFellow
01-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Only 125 hp, But the car only weighs 1900 pounds which means the thing will move. Fun to drive. I can't tell you enogh sometimes i just go out and drive it around the country where i live and thats the best part of my day. The trunk space is huge for a phat ass system. (i've got a 15 a 10 and two 12's in there with storebought boxes too) The mods for a civic are very easy and cheap for an import. And they will last forever. Find a Used Civic Today!

-why are mugen parts so expensive

Chris
01-17-2002, 03:00 PM
OK, here are two choices that will have cheaper insurance than a muscle car (but all insurance will be pricey, it kept me from a car:( )

1) Toyota MR2 SuperCharged. 1987-1989. They made very few of these, but if you find one, they are awesome. 1.6L, 145hp stock, mid-engine, 2 seats, t-top, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, its hella fast and fun. The first choice. I saw one in decent shape for 2500, in good shape, maybe 4000. Then you can bypass the electro-magnetic blower (free), and get a different pulley (or an SC14 supercharger). Get some simple intake/exhaust, and a chip. BAM! 200+hp, 0-60 deep in the 5's (kill Boxters and stangs all day long:) ) It will stay withing your budget.

2) 1988-1989 Mazda 323 GTX. An 80's WRX. Has a 1.6L turbo 4 with 132 hp at 6000rpm and about 135lb-ft, making it very flexible and fast in the city and low speeds. It has a rally-inspired all-wheel drive, and an awesome 5-speed stick. It goes 0-60 in 8.1 seconds, but here are some mods: intake, chip, exhaust, clutchmaster clutch, more boost, and some free stuff (bye bye, PCV!), and 200hp is yours, as is a low 6-second 0-60. It seats 5. It looks like shit, but is really, really fun to drive. C&D called it one of the most fun cars to drive ever, and the 4 editors gushed all over it. figure maybe 3-4 grand, then 1 more for these mods. They only imported 1500, so hard to find.

Any questions?

GTStang
01-18-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Chris
OK, here are two choices that will have cheaper insurance than a muscle car (but all insurance will be pricey, it kept me from a car:( )

1) Toyota MR2 SuperCharged. 1987-1989. They made very few of these, but if you find one, they are awesome. 1.6L, 145hp stock, mid-engine, 2 seats, t-top, 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, its hella fast and fun. The first choice. I saw one in decent shape for 2500, in good shape, maybe 4000. Then you can bypass the electro-magnetic blower (free), and get a different pulley (or an SC14 supercharger). Get some simple intake/exhaust, and a chip. BAM! 200+hp, 0-60 deep in the 5's (kill Boxters and stangs all day long:) ) It will stay withing your budget.

Any questions?

I think your over estimating a 50hp gain shaving 1.5 seconds of your 0-60 time and also great 0-60 times to not calculate into good 1/4 mile times. You may jump of the line and take 3-5 car length lead but you feel pretty stupid when as u start to celebrate you'll see the car u just pulled away from fly bye u

LjasonL
01-18-2002, 02:11 AM
actually both of the cars chris mentioned have been known to create 50-60 more hp with very basic bolt ons, i think it was SCC that had a project 323gtx and with only intake exhaust chip and tweaking of the stock boost controller they gained over 50hp at the wheels and almost 2 seconds in the 1/4

Chris
01-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ldelaysionl
actually both of the cars chris mentioned have been known to create 50-60 more hp with very basic bolt ons, i think it was SCC that had a project 323gtx and with only intake exhaust chip and tweaking of the stock boost controller they gained over 50hp at the wheels and almost 2 seconds in the 1/4

Thats one of the beautiful things obout stock FI engines. They are so neutuered from the factory, it only takes a bit to open them up.

Also, the MR2 would benefit from some stiffer suspension, expecially at the front. You can also relocate the rear trailing arms using ones from a Gen II MR2. It moves them (I think) 4 inches farther forward, and will greatly reduce the chance of snap oversteer, and they also make the car easier to control and faster around the twisties.

THE4TH
03-22-2002, 08:23 AM
i'm thinkin maxima, accord v6, maybe an old bimmer...

Fliquer
04-03-2002, 07:44 AM
If you want something cheap, fun to drive, and at least marginally practical, get an old GTI. But if you absolutely need a V6, get a mustang.

banchi105
04-03-2002, 08:32 PM
i have found a few 92-93 bmw's (92 was the year they changed to the modern body style) for around the $5000 range.
Hey its a bmw :)
inline 6

JD@af
04-11-2002, 07:07 PM
:ylsuper :ylsuper :ylsuper GLAD I FOUND THIS THREAD!!! :D :D :D

I think it may be just about time to part with my beloved 1985 Mercury Marquis. The latest bout of drama has been that it has been running like crap for almost the last two weeks. Erratic, slow idle, and a major loss of power (think driving 15 mph on highway uphills - speed limit 65 - in the shoulder with flashers :eek: ). Having already troubleshot water in the gas tank, checked the distributor and rotor, replaced the aging spark plug wires and spark plugs, the problem has been located to a bad computer, that is only sending the electric relay to one of two fuel injectors, so cutting my fuel supply in half. My garage has had the car for about a day and a half; tomorrow they will get back to me with pricing for both new and used computers for the car. If the cost is too high, I may have them scrap it.

Long story short, if that happens, it will be time to locate a new beater. I'm hoping to pick something up for about $2,500 to $3,000; but differing from the choices listed above, I have my Integra for speeding and tweaking - I'd prefer my second car to be slower, more stable (traction control or even AWD would be nice). My first choice would probably be a Buick Century. One of the most (perhaps THE most) reliable cars GM ever produced, has an "adequate" V6, is large, quiet, comfortable, not a car to be ogled by would-be car thieves, and I actually like the idea of FWD for better handling in snowy conditions. Of course, another good option would be a Subaru Impreza or Legacy, with AWD.

Other suggestions that I like are the 92-93 BMWs, and of course older Honda Civics. Ideally, I would get a 1995 and up BMW, as '95 was the year they introduced their excellent traction control system. But, '95 and up BMWs are also still very expensive, relative to my ideal of $2,500 to $3,000. If I can get a '92-93 for $5,000, I can certainly pick up a late 80's to early 90's model for exactly the price I want :sun:

One reason I tend to bring the Marquis in to have work done on it, rather than just do what I can myself, is that I hate working on it. But a Honda, on the other hand, I would love working on. Even though I would like a car different from my Teg for a different driving experience, it is still a good idea, and I know a lot more about the Hondas than I do about Fords, and just about anything else out there as well.

Well, enough of that. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be very much obliged. Thanks in advance-

-JD

banchi105
04-11-2002, 09:08 PM
The reason I think BMW
is because I have seen a few of them with about
110k miles on them (93-94) years ( the newer body style)
for about 5-6000 and i thought that would be a nice next car for myself.
Ill have to wait & see though.
Good Luck!

Chris
04-14-2002, 12:19 PM
How about a nice MR2 supercharged for cheap.
But if you want winter capabilities, then maybe a 323 GTX (88-89), they have AWD, 132 hp (180 is about $1000 away), and you should be able to get one under 3 grand.

THE4TH
04-15-2002, 06:22 AM
i changed my mind get a teggy, or an old lude

Add your comment to this topic!