Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Too old??

6thGear
08-10-2003, 10:28 PM
Am I too old to be doing this. I am really interested in car modeling I just feel that i might be too old. Alot of recent changes have happend in my life but this is pretty fun. I'm about 16 and no one else I know thats my age is doing or attempting to model cars. I would like some feedback please because I am really interested in doing this.

And if I do decide could you guys/girls if there are any :) recommend me any good starter kits. Something really easy. I could care less what kind of car it is as my first I just want to learn and build the first care. IT would be considered a learning curve.

Oh and another thing. If you guys could recommend some of the basic tools I would need to start of with my first model that would be great :):bigthumb:

SonyMobile
08-10-2003, 10:43 PM
To Old? lmao, your 16, im 16, theres guys on here that are inm there 30's as far as i no!, i dont no any people that are into model cars either, doesnt bother me. A Kit that you might want to try first would be just a cheap one, and pick somethin you like, just dont spend more that 20 bucks on your first kit incase you screw it up, then you wont be too pissed, whereas if you f*cked up on a tamiya kit (my first tamiya kit cost me $44 canadian:mad: ) just pick somethin you like,
tools, for the exterior color of the car, pick up a can of arosal model paint or automotive paint, for other colors, just buy some basic model paint, (ie. Testors, Tamiya etc..) you will also want to buy a package of paint brushes, i use the cheap testors ones or a package that i have found that is for kids crafts, theyeres about 20 different colored brushes in each pack for like a buck, you might also want to have a bit of sand paper handy, and an exacto/hobby knife is also a good thing to have

6thGear
08-10-2003, 10:45 PM
ty ty. tommorow i will go to my local hobby shop and pick up a kit and sand paper ect.. :)

cartuner
08-10-2003, 10:47 PM
6thGear go for it! so what if there is no other person right now building models along with you. thats no reason you shouldn't enjoy building models and if it brings you enjoyment and makes you happy go for it even more. and besides a person is never to old to build a model. myself i'm 26 and i don't know of one person i can call on that builds models but that doesn't affect me at all because i know that there are tons of fellow modelers out there in the real world and even more in the global world of the internet. if your looking for people to be around while building try finding a local modelers group near you and join up hit as many model car shows as you can and talk to fellow builders. hey you never know once you start maybe some of your friends will want to join in and give it a try. so for me i say go for it and start building it never hurts to try and you can't go wrong with this hobby. just don't give up if your first kit doesn't look like the ones you see here this hobby does take time but it's worth it on so many levels.

So you want a good easy starter kit i say grab yourself some snap tight kits they are cheaper and a great way to sharpen your building skills and try out things that you just learned and since the kits are cheap it's not to much of a lose if you screw it up. any ways it's never a total screw up if you learned from it. and even when you get real good never stop buying the snap kits they will always be a good way to test your new found skills before cutting into your real expense model kits.

Basic tools you will need a good exacto knife with lots of blades. some files for sanding down small areas a few third hands for holding parts while painting. some type of paint stand for holding the car body while painting it. also you will need a good set of snippers for cutting parts of the parts tree. and i like to have some tweezers for placing very small parts into place. and lots of sandpaper of different grits.

hirofkd
08-10-2003, 11:13 PM
I got serious in modeling at about age 13, and started erasing seam lines and painting. Then, I learned modifying and scratchbuilding, and just after I became 16, I started selling my resin kits.

It's not too late, or not too young. I think it's a perfect timing to become serious about a particular hobby. It can be modeling (I hope), can be sport, can be art or music, but it's always good to have something you are good at. So, if you like cars, and car modeling, go for it. When you become older, you'll be surprised, that not many people can build a model, which makes this hobby quite exclusive, I think.

6thGear
08-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Thanks alot for taking the time to write these posts guys. I will talk to my parents tonight to see if they agree because with them its school first. I will promise them I will keep my grades up " gulp " I hope and i'm sure they will agree. And when they do ;) I will go out and buy some supplies.:eek: :tongue:

sugarcaddy
08-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by 6thGear
Am I too old to be doing this. I am really interested in car modeling I just feel that i might be too old. Alot of recent changes have happend in my life but this is pretty fun. I'm about 16 and no one else I know thats my age is doing or attempting to model cars. I would like some feedback please because I am really interested in doing this.

And if I do decide could you guys/girls if there are any :) recommend me any good starter kits. Something really easy. I could care less what kind of car it is as my first I just want to learn and build the first care. IT would be considered a learning curve.

Oh and another thing. If you guys could recommend some of the basic tools I would need to start of with my first model that would be great :):bigthumb:

16 to old for modeling?? I'll be damned!! I must be an old fart around here at 36!! :lol: I think a good basic kit would be a curbside kit with no engine detail. Or go with a snap kit. Sanding sticks and x-acto knife, plastic glue with a thin tip, Tamiya spray paint, some testors paint for details and a good paint brush. That should hold you for now! Oh and check out the FAQ it will be your best guide and if you need anything else feel free to ask here on the forum.

Scott

z33guy
08-11-2003, 12:09 AM
do you still play video games? watch cartoons? i dont think modeling has an age limit:cool:

Boudine
08-11-2003, 01:50 AM
The older you get, the better you become at modeling :smile:

No joke.

Dr.AK
08-11-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Boudine
The older you get, the better you become at modeling :smile:

No joke.

ugh... when i think about that i come to think that the top modelleres here like pman,fly, gti1800 ,hiroboy and all the others i forgot , must be ober 100 years old :bloated::bloated::bloated:

http://nfs4-forum.gamigo.de/images/smilies/ablach.gif

Vyacheslav
08-11-2003, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Dr.AK

ugh... when i think about that i come to think that the top modelleres here like pman,fly, gti1800 ,hiroboy and all the others i forgot , must be ober 100 years old :bloated::bloated::bloated:

http://nfs4-forum.gamigo.de/images/smilies/ablach.gif :iagree:

primera man
08-11-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Dr.AK

http://nfs4-forum.gamigo.de/images/smilies/ablach.gif

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=65600

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/lol.gif http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/lol.gif

-Pille-
08-11-2003, 05:29 AM
Too old at 16?! Lol! :lol: You're never too old to start modeling. Go for it! :thumbsup:

And pman - you look very good for a 100 year old :icon16: :lol: :lol:

-Pille-

airforceone
08-11-2003, 05:51 AM
There's no such as too old for just about anything.:smile: it's all about what's in heart. do what you love and don't let what other people think dictate your life.:wink:

tonioseven
08-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by z33guy
do you still play video games? watch cartoons? i dont think modeling has an age limit:cool: I do; I'm 34 and I will build models until my fingers lock up!:tongue: :icon16:

EMAXX
08-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Too old? I thought you were going to be saying like you were 50-60 or something.
Welcome. I don't have any friends that like to model. It doesn't bother me. I do what I love to do.:bigthumb:

Vric
08-11-2003, 08:39 AM
why noone in your age isn't doing this ? maybe becose 16y old guy prefer doing nothing outside and being bust by the cops (at least, this is what happen 3 time by week here)

anyway i'm 22 and lot of ppl here are over 30.. there is no age for this

Testor and revell separate the kid and the real with there Metal body.. not metal body are for kids that want to play with them and Plastic are for those that have too muc money and want something they don't finish in 20 minutes.

pettercardoso
08-11-2003, 08:59 AM
C'mon! Too old @ 16!? I've just started modelling about a month ago and I'm 21! There is no such thing as an age limit for modelling :D.
About the tools....other than what others said, I think side cutters, scissors (spelling?) and some pegs to hold the parts to paint are very useful.

Feel free to ask any questions and please read the FAQ section :smile:

Hei, and welcome to the AF :D

Martbee
08-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Forget that, too old don't exist. I'm 30 and just made a come back in modeling. Not gonna leave 'til I'll die... or oblige to.

thizishkenny
08-11-2003, 10:23 AM
i dont think there is any age limit in car modeling because i am 15 but i started last year and i got into it because i thought it was so interesting. Also i love playing games too. My favorite game right now is SOCOM and i see ppl that is really old playing it too.

hobbes874
08-11-2003, 10:45 AM
:lol: to old? I'm 16 as well and the thought of being to old for modeling never crossed my mind until now. Like tonioseven I hope to build models until my fingers crap out :icon16:

EMAXX
08-11-2003, 10:47 AM
I'll still be building models when my hands crap out.:biggrin:

6thGear
08-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the information guys. My parents both agreed and by the end of this week I should have all my supplies and models ready :)
:bigthumb:

mike united
08-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Mike, 39...........totally addicted

:D :D :D

RaceMySS_454
08-11-2003, 11:42 AM
hey welcome.....im 17 theres alot older people here... great hobby to get into....i thought i was the only one who liked modeling when i started....but now since about 4 months ago i got 3 or my friends into modeling....and they love it....just introduce the hobby to one of your friends.......good luck and keep a good hold on your wallet.

rx7king
08-11-2003, 11:48 AM
i think as you get older your models start to get a LOT better, im only 17 and i thought the same thing, but who cares if other people around you arent doing it, if its fun, then do it

BaNe
08-11-2003, 12:03 PM
I am 16 and build models but am a little embarassed about it, so not many people know that I do it. My current girlfriend (19) has no idea. I guess I dont tell people because they might think it to be a bit immature. but I love doing and am getting better at it. So go for it and have fun ad screw everyone else :bigthumb:

flyingmachine
08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
modelling immature?!!! 16 too old?!!! well, I picked up the spruce cutting once again at 27(quit 10 years ago) Approaching the subject much more seriously now. I remember I use to turnout 2-3 kits a weekend, now it is more like 2-3 kits a year. My ladie made fun of me in the beginning, but after letting her do the NSX engine, I think she might be hooked. BTW, all the dude w/ airbrushes, all you have to do is paint your lady's nails once and she won't nag you about the cost of everything anymore. Itz fun seeing WRC colors on her finger tips anyways.

reveller
08-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Like everyone else said, there is no age limit to modelling! I heard of old geezers in their 70s who are still doing it. Just because there isn't anyone you know who models, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. I say go for it!!! :bigthumb:

By the way, I noticed you live in Delta. You are talking about Delta, B.C. right? I used to live there and I build models even though no one else did. So now you know some one who does. :cool:

reveller

6thGear
08-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by reveller
Like everyone else said, there is no age limit to modelling! I heard of old geezers in their 70s who are still doing it. Just because there isn't anyone you know who models, doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. I say go for it!!! :bigthumb:

By the way, I noticed you live in Delta. You are talking about Delta, B.C. right? I used to live there and I build models even though no one else did. So now you know some one who does. :cool:

reveller Yes Delta BC :) now I know someone :)

Ferrari TR
08-11-2003, 04:37 PM
LMAO!

Too Old!

I built a lot till about 17 then girls, cars and college took up all my time.
I did still manage to build a little while I was in college even with school and 2 jobs. :tongue:

Hawk312
08-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Just another old fogey checking in!:spit: :cya: :jump3: :banhim: :bananasmi

Guido
08-11-2003, 05:09 PM
35 here and still refusing to grow up! Modeling has no age label attached to it. :wink:

theoldboy
08-11-2003, 06:10 PM
fuck
i must be to old for this or to imature
i just turned 45

yellow15
08-11-2003, 06:19 PM
i think your type the question wrong..
should be "am i too young" :dogpile:

i'm 27 and just started car modelling a few months a ago.. and now addicted to it and can't go back!! damn...

calvin3
08-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Age is only a number. Your never too old to start. Check out my thread about age and modeling. Link to thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t126430.html)

mech0t0
08-11-2003, 08:13 PM
I am 28! I still act like a little kid when I am in local hobby shops and looking other modelers progress report! Ooo, I want this one, and I want that one, and that one, and... :biggrin: Enjoy model making! Thats all I have to say:bigthumb:

SonyMobile
08-11-2003, 08:15 PM
Who said that they thought that modeling was immature???? how do ya figure? I tell everybody I build models and there like o ur a fuckin tool, then one day i took one to school in a big tupperware container packed with klenex, and showed everybody, and there like no you bought that, thats not yours you bought it and i was like really, then i pointed out the fingerprints on the frame. and there like o..wow. thats pretty sweet i wish i could do sumthin like that, frankly none of my friends have hobbies, unless you consider sittin around and playin vid. games and listenin to music a hobby... but w/e... my g/f thought i was a little wierd at first, because i would spend countless ours in my laundry room hunched over a box of plastic bits, "painting" (detailing) with a tootpick.
shes pretty impressed with my models, and i display my favourites over my tv so all my friends can see. i dunno bout you guys but i aint afraid to show that im a modeler.
i dont care what other ppl say, at least i have a hobby that when im finished i have something to show off.

primera man
08-11-2003, 08:38 PM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120934&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

blueboost
08-11-2003, 09:59 PM
so many good responses here to your thread
your at a good age because you probably have enough maturity now to take your time with the detail. I started at 16, now am almost 25. I love having the collection of completed models I have. Don't sweat what other people think about it, if your cool building models aint gonna change that. but don't have like 60 model kits out and shit when your going to have fine girls in your house man, just put that shit away real quick. :wink: :biggrin2: :iceslolan

6thGear
08-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by blueboost
so many good responses here to your thread
your at a good age because you probably have enough maturity now to take your time with the detail. I started at 16, now am almost 25. I love having the collection of completed models I have. Don't sweat what other people think about it, if your cool building models aint gonna change that. but don't have like 60 model kits out and shit when your going to have fine girls in your house man, just put that shit away real quick. :wink: :biggrin2: :iceslolan :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :bigthumb:

Towelboy80
08-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Woaw, I'm 23 almost the retirement... :wink:

Add your comment to this topic!