Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

resetting alarm

rjs95pa
08-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I accidently sett off my factory alarm and now my car won't start. Is there a way to reset the alarm? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray

tman
08-10-2003, 05:09 PM
Wait 30 mins, and you should be able to start it.

rjs95pa
08-10-2003, 10:50 PM
I have tried that. I have let it sit for two days. I have used the Pass code key, but still no luck. If anybody has any other ideas, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray

tman
08-11-2003, 06:12 AM
have you pressed unlock on your key fob at all?

rjs95pa
08-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Yes, I have tried the keyless entry buttons, but to no luck. I was wondering if there is a reset switch or something under the dash.
Anyone have any other ideas. I sucks to have the car just sitting in the driveway.
Ray

tman
08-11-2003, 03:56 PM
There is no reset switch that I know of, I'll throw a PM over to Flatrater, he'll be able to help.

tman
08-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Ok, I found a diagnostic system check in my service manual, i need you to do something.

Get inside, close the door. try to start the car, one of three things will happen.

Engine cranks and starts
Engine cranks, but does not start
Engine does not crank or start.

Tell me which occurred, and I'll go from there.

Flatrater
08-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Did you buy the car new or used??

Are you sure it is a factory installed GM system and not a Goodwrench system installed at the dealer? They are quite different in how the work!

The GM system does not use a red warning light but only a security light. It doesn't contain a shock sensor or any reset switches. And they use the car horn for the alarm.

The Goodwrench system uses the red lights shock sensors and reset switch. Usually uses a seperate horn for the alarm.

The GM sytem has a 10 minute tamper timer, which after 10 minutes it resets the system. And the car will start!

The Goodwrench system you have to reset the system to start the car!!
The reset switch is hidden somewhere depending on who installed it they all have different places to install them.

How did you turn off the alarm??

rjs95pa
08-13-2003, 11:09 PM
I don't know what it was, but i put the car in neutral and then into park and it started. It didn't have a alarm system, but the factory security system. I'm baffled, but I'm just happy that my car now starts.
Thanks, for ya'lls help.

tman
08-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Just because it started, doesnt mean the problem is solved, lets keep trying to figure this out.

TDB
12-23-2003, 01:42 PM
How do I replace serpentine belt on 1989 electra (park ave ) with 3.8 engine ?

ponchonutty
12-23-2003, 08:37 PM
I don't know what it was, but i put the car in neutral and then into park and it started. It didn't have a alarm system, but the factory security system. I'm baffled, but I'm just happy that my car now starts.
Thanks, for ya'lls help.
Boy, sure sounds like a safety neutral switch to me!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!