97-98 chevy blazer

nfixit
08-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Hello all, I'm thinking about buying a 97-98 blazer and my question is do these blazers problems? I was doing some research on the net about them and alot of people was reporting the same problems (more than 1or 3 people) (http://www.carsurvey.org/review_20953.html) most problems inculded(4wd system,tranny,windshieidwiper motor,alternator,brakes,rear window jumping,collant system(ac,waterpump,heating components) and suspention system. have any one here witness these problems?

Nfixit

Flatrater
08-10-2003, 07:46 PM
I work on these trucks daily, and yes they do have problem but they are not out of line compared to other cars and trucks.

You pointed out a web site that has a bunch of whiners on it that wanted GM to cover their trucks for lifetime!! You show me 10 people that have something negative to say but their are thousands out there with no problems. You need to take these negative comments with a grain of salt. The S and T truck line is one of the most popular truck lines for GM if GM has 10 million of these on the road and you have 1% of owners complaining about them that is a small number. Remember that the happy owners are not going to spread the word like unhappy owners.

The windshield wiper problem is a ongoing recall now it is a problem that comes from the weight of the harness pulling on the contacts inside the wiper cover. It is being fixed free of charge. 1995 was the first year of this body style and I have yet to change or repair a door panel, replace tie rod ends. Never have I had to fix a problem with the susoension.

Things I have had to fix are a few AC compressors for leaks. About 3 heater cores that were plugged up. I have done a fair share of ball joints but they were ones the owners failed to keep greased. 4WD problems caused by the battery leaking acid on the engage cable. 4WD computers locking up which you only need to disconnect the battery to fix.

Most of the truck owners I deal with do the maintenance and have very little problems. Just so you know I am sure you know but am stating it anyway. There are alot of crooked techs out there and they like to replace good parts just to make money.I have had to work on trucks that people had taken else where and were told they need this or that replaced because it was bad. I checked the truck out and told the owners nothing was wrong numerous times.

Rob_0126
08-17-2003, 04:53 PM
I work on these trucks daily, and yes they do have problem but they are not out of line compared to other cars and trucks.

You pointed out a web site that has a bunch of whiners on it that wanted GM to cover their trucks for lifetime!! You show me 10 people that have something negative to say but their are thousands out there with no problems. You need to take these negative comments with a grain of salt. The S and T truck line is one of the most popular truck lines for GM if GM has 10 million of these on the road and you have 1% of owners complaining about them that is a small number. Remember that the happy owners are not going to spread the word like unhappy owners.

The windshield wiper problem is a ongoing recall now it is a problem that comes from the weight of the harness pulling on the contacts inside the wiper cover. It is being fixed free of charge. 1995 was the first year of this body style and I have yet to change or repair a door panel, replace tie rod ends. Never have I had to fix a problem with the susoension.

Things I have had to fix are a few AC compressors for leaks. About 3 heater cores that were plugged up. I have done a fair share of ball joints but they were ones the owners failed to keep greased. 4WD problems caused by the battery leaking acid on the engage cable. 4WD computers locking up which you only need to disconnect the battery to fix.

Most of the truck owners I deal with do the maintenance and have very little problems. Just so you know I am sure you know but am stating it anyway. There are alot of crooked techs out there and they like to replace good parts just to make money.I have had to work on trucks that people had taken else where and were told they need this or that replaced because it was bad. I checked the truck out and told the owners nothing was wrong numerous times.

I am seriously considering purchasing a 94+ s-10 blazer, because I want a daily driver.

I have seen many in autotrader, and see some high mileage ones(160k+) for round $1500-2500.

My question is, what would I be looking at replacing, basically how much more money would I need to throw at it, to make it a reliable daily driver?

I would appreciate any advice, and it's good to know Im talking to a gm tech. :D

Robert

kanderson532
10-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Hello all, I'm thinking about buying a 97-98 blazer and my question is do these blazers problems? I was doing some research on the net about them and alot of people was reporting the same problems (more than 1or 3 people) (http://www.carsurvey.org/review_20953.html) most problems inculded(4wd system,tranny,windshieidwiper motor,alternator,brakes,rear window jumping,collant system(ac,waterpump,heating components) and suspention system. have any one here witness these problems?

Nfixit

i have a 98 blazer 4x4 and it only has 65000 miles and i am the 2nd owner no wrecks or any damage reoted by car fax. i went to have new front brakes replaced and they told me that i needed basicly a whole new steering system. all my tie rods, idle arms and all parts in between need to be replaced. i have had 4 different shops look at my vechile and they all told me the same thing. i can't believe that chevrolet can build a suv and sell it for the price they do and it needs these kind of EXPENSE repairs. i will never by another chevrolet as long as i live!!! i have owned this blazer since 05/2003 and already i have had to replace the alternator, front and back brakes, a battery, and the whole front steering suspension ($1500.00) just for the sterring issues. i suggest that you take the blazer that you are wanting to buy to get a full 5 star inspection befor you sign the papers!! i hope this helps you in making your mind up before you buy!! GOOD LUCK

gbwoodman
02-10-2004, 02:33 PM
I have a 97 Blazer it has 112,000 miles the only problems I have had are the heater core went at 110,000 miles and the gas shocks on the glass hatch wore out @ 112,000 miles and the drivers side power window wont go up or down. It runs strong and gets around 18 mpg in town and 20 on the highway. It is a real Bear in the snow on and off road I am the second owner and got it with 35,000 miles on it.

Glenn Peters
02-10-2004, 07:11 PM
What exactly is the wiper problem that GM is fixing for free? My inter mitant wiper wont wipe as soon as they are turned on it takes a while,if you go sright to low it wipes on the spot.My truck runs great but the fuel milage sucks any where between 12 to 15 city and 16.5 to18 highway. 1998 4.3. " I would still rather push my CHEVY than drive a FORD !!!!!!!!!!!"

Add your comment to this topic!