Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which Luxury Car to pick?

Mylacc
11-27-2001, 05:28 PM
First a short descirption of why things im looking for
a nice black, automatic (i like manuels but this is a luxury chill type car), V6 at least, Japanese car.

why japanese? cause domestic cars really don't excel at anything and although i rather a european car they cost more to buy, insure, fix and everything else you have to do to a car. And i don't have that kind of money handy at the moment. Japenese cars go forever, there fairly cheap maintanence, and there still nice looking decent performing automobiles.
i got about 12,000 but a person whom my father bough several cars form has a auction license and said he would take me to the auto auction for a $200 commision. so i could get a car for considerably less then even private sale would net
im looking to have maybe some money left over but its not entirely neserary

the cars im considering
1.94-95 Acura Legend LS Coupe or GS Sedan (I like this car, before it became RL in 96, but its rare and you pay more then its worth due to that rarity genrally..)
2. 96-98 Nissan Maxima (less prestigious, but i hear it both performs well and the higher model GLE or a SE with good options is very luxurious as well.)
3. 96-97 Acura TL 3.2 (my favorite as far as looks a black one of these with gold trim is just too good looking, not sure it will have as much of a kick as some of the others though?)
4. 96-97 Acura CL 3.0 (if TL fails i can get the couped version, il be faster and close to as nice?)
5. 95-96 Lexus ES300 (tested this and yah it drove nice, but u pay a unbeivable premium for Lexus, and i don't think its really worth it...even though more expensive cars like lexus depreciate faster and a 95-96 wouldnt be TOO much more. considering your getting nothing extra over the Acura IMO.)
6. 95-97 Infiniti I30T (now i drove this and it seemed big to me, like the Avalon, it handled sluggish though everyone says its the same body as the more nimble maxima i drove, maybe it was that particular vehicle that had the problem? again do you get much for the $$$?)
7.9? Infiniti G20 (now this i need some comments on. i hear though this seems small to me it can easily seat 4-5 people like a bigger car, which all other cars in its size class, Integra, Corolla, Altima seem to fail to do)
8. Camry XLE V6 or Accord EX V6 (to get the V6 for a Accord you must go year 98+ and then to get all the luxury you must go to EX and by the time thats said and done this car costs as much as the much nicer CL and TLs, which come standard with all that stuff, so i dunno...that camry is the ugliest and most common of them and im not big on it but you cant ignore the fact with all of these around i cant find one i want fast and cheap.)

DementedPuppy
11-28-2001, 02:38 PM
If they were new id go with the Accord, Maxima, or Camry, in that order. Since its going to be used, id probably go for the Lexus. It's really what you want and like best though. I think the Accords are stylish, and theyre really reliable. I'd consider Camry more of like, i dunno, not luxury, the new ones are nice but i dont like the old.

YogsVR4
11-29-2001, 09:09 AM
I chose the Accord EX V6 since I am buying a 2001 sedan as the new grocery getter.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

mmcc
12-01-2001, 03:57 PM
I would have to say either a maxima or accord. But i would pick the maxima.

LiuBei
12-04-2001, 08:47 PM
I thought this was for Luxury cars? That I state below. Out of these cars, the Accord. Hell anything Honda or Toyota

JBL85
12-08-2001, 12:33 AM
maxima has a very luxurious feel, especially in the GLE, the SE is a little crisp....but still a nice ride

RazorGTR
12-09-2001, 03:30 AM
The Lexus is a true luxury car and is built for ride comfort not speed.

JBL85
12-09-2001, 12:04 PM
GS 430 / SC 430

need I say more

cars_rule2
12-09-2001, 03:10 PM
the lexus is the best in my mind.

moe182
12-09-2001, 04:38 PM
Id go with the maxima....we used to own one, a very nice handling car...true not the fanciest, but if you get the high end ones theres nothing that youd be missin.

JBL85
12-10-2001, 03:59 PM
whats your price range....that might help.....and are you a lead foot driver? Thats kind of vague for just asking luxury car.....especially with Hundayi making them now

Euro19
12-13-2001, 01:53 AM
The Accord V6 is your pick. Itīs the most safer, luxurious, quality is way better than in the Camry and ergonomics are too! The engine is great too, of course the Maxima has the best V6.
Ill go with the Accord eyes closed. ;)

JBL85
12-13-2001, 01:58 PM
You may be happier with a maxima...it has a smoother ride in the GLE model, more comfortable and a tons load of more power. Test drive both, you will see what I mean.... =)

joeB
01-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Maximas are the best overall for everything.:rolleyes:

Euro19
01-06-2002, 01:46 AM
Did you make up your mind allready Mylacc?? :rolleyes:

Jimster
01-06-2002, 04:07 AM
Be more like me and get a Primera/G20:D

ales
01-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy_11_cars
Be more like me and get a Primera/G20:D

Huh? Adding another one to your collection? :D

Have you decided to go for the Primera?

JBL85
01-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Thats my final decision, the 2002 maxima is on my wish list right now.

joeB
01-06-2002, 03:05 PM
same here JBL:D

JBL85
01-06-2002, 08:59 PM
=) of course, complete agreement, but this would all be different if we were in Japan...... :D

Jimster
01-07-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ales

Huh? Adding another one to your collection? :D

Have you decided to go for the Primera?

Yep once the Primera replaces the 6O7 and the Mustang is sold, there will be a grand total of 3 cars, damn I hate that blasted bank:mad:

syr74
12-07-2003, 03:46 PM
As far a maintenance being relatively cheap on all these car I would have to vehemently disagree. One of my many jobs through college involved selling Volvo's, and we had a sister dealership next door that sold Lexus' and Toyota's as well.

If you plan on getting serviced at the dealership few cars in that price range can ring up the register like Lexus. I had a customer switch from a Volvo S70 to a Lexus and he returned to a Volvo after a couple of basic services freaking out about how much Lexus service cost. Folks, this surprised me because Volvo service isn't exactly bargain basement.

And, even in a car which is basically a really nice Camry, you pay Lexus service prices if you want dealer provided service. Not to mention relatively speaking Toyota's and Lexus's are both expensive to repair if the need arises. Honestly, it is good that these are fairly reliable cars as you couldn't afford them otherwise.

Also, I will add that my job before that was building Camry's in Georgetown Kentucky (Actually, I technically worked on Sienna minivans, but you can and do do everything,) Sorry, but the last gen Camry was waaaaay overrated.

That is the cheapest engineered car on earth and IMO only holds together because owners tend to treat them like they are made of solid gold. Ironically, the Sienna, and the Avalon were both much better built IMO.

Inevitably someone is going to say "I have had 8 billion trouble free miles" totally ignoring what I just said about the different attitudes toward preventative mainteneace I have personally seen a LOT of between cars like the Camry and say a Buick.

At the dealership you were really hard pressed to find a Camry or Accord someone was trading that hadn't been pretty well maintained. I saw domestics roll in there that could not have had more than two oil changes in 80 thousand miles...all the time. This was far more common than a well maintained domestic car I assure you. Hmmmm, I wonder if thats bad for the car?...lol

The current crop of domestic sedans is really, really bland. But I have a well maintained Taurus with 265,000 miles on it that runs like a top. I also have an 88 Turbo coupe with 198,000 miles on it. Besides new injectors for the T-Bird neither ever had anything other than basic maintenance until I blew motor on the Turbo Coupe because I turned the boost way up and grenaded the old gal.....still impressive mileage. My dad also had a 81 300 six F-100 with right at half a million miles on it when he blew the head. I will also mention that he treated that truck like crap, big surprise.

Just my two cents

YukiHime
12-07-2003, 09:23 PM
I would pick an Accord, because it's a Honda, which means it works forever, and it's not so expensive if you want a V6, since it has V6 models from 1995 to now.
But why not Acura? It's simply because it's a upscale Honda, which means costing a little more, right?
Why not Camry? Because the price of maintainance will drive you crazy...also, the warranty does nothing but just making you to pay more...
My mom had a Toyota, and she paid for the warranty as extra, but they will charge her for everything that is suppose to be included! Including checking what made the Check Engine light on!
But my friend's Honda never charge him for anything unless they do some real fixing stuffs. They won't even charge him for duplicating a key for him. They will try to do everything to minimize the cost of fixing for him. So that's why I'm picking Honda over Toyota.
(Is that how Toyota made itself the biggest Auto maker in Japan? Because it eat up all the owner's money?)

syr74
12-08-2003, 11:43 AM
IMO Honda reliability is not now, and has never been over-rated. Also, I would personally rank Honda dealer service as high as many Luxury brands. Toyota, however, is a joke.

The last gen Maxima was awesome, but how they always seem to get lumped in with the vaunted Japanese reliability boggles me. Nissan has never been known for stellar reliability.

I have two friends with well maintained last gen Maxima's. Both are as unreliable and troublesome as my fiance's 99 Grand Am was. One of them has been much worse than her Pontiac...no joke. And as an FYI for those who live in a cave and don't know the Grand Am sucks folks. When my girl came home with that I about passed out.

YukiHime
12-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Grand Am really sucks...3.4 V6 less than 200hp...
Got to work something out...

Jimster
12-09-2003, 01:59 AM
IMO Honda reliability is not now, and has never been over-rated. Also, I would personally rank Honda dealer service as high as many Luxury brands. Toyota, however, is a joke.

The last gen Maxima was awesome, but how they always seem to get lumped in with the vaunted Japanese reliability boggles me. Nissan has never been known for stellar reliability.

I have two friends with well maintained last gen Maxima's. Both are as unreliable and troublesome as my fiance's 99 Grand Am was. One of them has been much worse than her Pontiac...no joke. And as an FYI for those who live in a cave and don't know the Grand Am sucks folks. When my girl came home with that I about passed out.
Nissan have always been known for bullet proof mechanicals- ever since the early Datsun days- they were also known for rust at one stage

crayzayjay
12-09-2003, 09:37 AM
True. Nissan has a great reputation for reliability.

syr74
12-09-2003, 02:13 PM
As for Nissans reliability ratings being traditionally good. I respectfully disgree.

JBL85
12-09-2003, 05:26 PM
syr74, I would beg to differ, I have had 3 Nissans all been very reliable, except for the newer Nissans which use cheaper stuff, like my new Altima, but the engine runs strong, not much else compares with it.

joeB
12-09-2003, 06:52 PM
yep , yep..

crayzayjay
12-10-2003, 04:09 AM
My grandma's friend has had a late 70's Datsun since, well, the late 70's and it still runs like a gem, nothing ever goes wrong with it. True it is driven by an old lady but on pretty shitty roads :thumbsup:

Ive never heard anything other than Nissans being bullet proof...

YukiHime
12-10-2003, 09:17 AM
syr74, I would beg to differ, I have had 3 Nissans all been very reliable, except for the newer Nissans which use cheaper stuff, like my new Altima, but the engine runs strong, not much else compares with it.
My friends says Nissan's engine runs forever...
But got some rusting problems on the body

Add your comment to this topic!