Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

custom exhaust

xxjustinellisxx
08-09-2003, 04:39 PM
should i go with a custom exhaust built for my GSR or should i go with Greddy, Apexi, HKS,... etc etc?
thanks

lil_schmitts
08-11-2003, 01:41 AM
i would go custom. get a cheap muffler off of ebay and run 2.25" piping from the cat back. should cost you around $200 with the same sound and performance.

S1 Type-R
08-11-2003, 05:31 PM
I would have to disagree.....
If you are worried about cost then I would suggest going custom but for thows who are into quality I would suggest going name brand....you pay more for it but you get great quality... :smile:

Tanabe, Greddy, HKS, ....etc.

lil_schmitts
08-12-2003, 12:21 AM
how do you fiqure its not better to go with custom? Match the bends of the Greddy or whatever and you lose the resonator which also helps. It will give you the same if not better performance for about $300 cheaper.

loesch8102
08-12-2003, 12:25 AM
:iagree:

S1 Type-R
08-12-2003, 01:23 AM
For one..... Custom needs to be welded and can create turbulence in the flow secondly I didnt say anything about performance wise Im sure eliminating the resonator will achive better performance but at the cost of losing the deep tone and the quality is not the best......I have yet to see a muffler shop use stainless steel for thier piping....

I have a Tanabe Hyper Medalian on my Type-R, a Greedy On my Si and DC on my celica would never go the cheap route with any of them.... maybe its just me but im willing to dish out the cash for better quality.....:rolleyes:::bloated:

lil_schmitts
08-13-2003, 09:14 PM
i see what your saying but i believe that a custom exhaust done right can acheive the same sound/performance/look but thats just my personal opinion.
i would buy namebrand too but im 17 with a 20 hour a week job. so i would perfer a cheaper route. But it has to be done by someone who knows what they're doning and not just thrown together.

loesch8102
08-14-2003, 09:58 PM
Personally, I would take the custom job I have over any GReddy, for example. I've seen those on Integra's and I don't think they look right at all with that 4.5in tip sticking way out the back. I bought a Bomz muffler with a 3.5in tip and the shop used Aluminized pipe. What's better about stainless as compared to Aluminized? I see what you mean about the welds, but isn't there any welds on a namebrand? I don't know what they look like except for the little net pics I've seen.

S1 Type-R
08-14-2003, 11:14 PM
Personally, I would take the custom job I have over any GReddy, for example. I've seen those on Integra's and I don't think they look right at all with that 4.5in tip sticking way out the back. I bought a Bomz muffler with a 3.5in tip and the shop used Aluminized pipe. What's better about stainless as compared to Aluminized? I see what you mean about the welds, but isn't there any welds on a namebrand? I don't know what they look like except for the little net pics I've seen.

Yes, There are welds on name brands but they are at each end at the connectors very fine welds and never along the pipe.....as for custom goes I dont really have a problem with it...maybe its just a preferance of mine that I go with brand names... :smile:

TheNotoriousMogg
08-15-2003, 12:19 AM
I would have to disagree.....
If you are worried about cost then I would suggest going custom but for thows who are into quality I would suggest going name brand....you pay more for it but you get great quality... :smile:

Tanabe, Greddy, HKS, ....etc.

:iagree:

I like 5Zigen..its underrated :(

Add your comment to this topic!