Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Who here lives in the south?

freakmech
08-08-2003, 04:14 PM
i live in New Orleans. do any of you who live in the south go to any conventions or meets? i would be cool to have a down south meet!

Wes Moran
08-08-2003, 04:16 PM
I live in North LA but I've never heard of any meets around here.

sugarcaddy
08-08-2003, 04:21 PM
I live in the Dallas Tx area and there are stuff going on all the time. There is a model show/contest this weekend in Arlington.

Scott

supratuner
08-08-2003, 04:50 PM
I guess NC is the south, there are very few meets around here, i think hobby town usa has one each once in a while but thats a 1 hour drive.

CamaroSSBoy346
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
every october theres a model show with a real car show. Last year there were only 3 entries, so its small, but alot of real cars :biggrin:

Sidewinder-03
08-08-2003, 05:31 PM
I live in Newbern, TN 100 miles north of Memphis and we don't even have a club around here. I would love to have or start up a local club and have areawide contests and meets. AF is the closest thing to a club I have found and I like that.:ylsuper: :thumbsup: :cheers:

z33guy
08-08-2003, 05:52 PM
I live in alerbama, there is a convention or meet in huntsville...i believe.

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-08-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by z33guy
I live in alerbama, there is a convention or meet in huntsville...i believe.

Do you know about the MCCM Magic City Car Modelers in B'ham? They meet at the Springville library once a month, and put on a big model car show on the first Sat. of March every year. Also some decent IPMS shows in Anniston, also Huntsville and Boaz.

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-08-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm in Atlanta, a member of ACME (Atlanta Car Model Enthusiasts), we put on a big show on the second saturday of each November, it usually is covered by Scale Auto since we take good pictures! Lots of interesting vendors, we have more of a "worldly" presence than most shows in the south, meaning more racing/import/exotic oriented stuff than usually seen in the south, not just muscle cars, NASCAR, drag and street rods/street machines. Yeah, we've got plenty of those too, but our show seems to be one of the most balanced I've ever seen. Unlike many shows that seem to be dwindling, ours seems to attract more and more people every year. Our hard work pays off:wink: :cool: :biggrin:

Veyron
08-08-2003, 07:16 PM
I live in the northwest corner of Georgia in Ringgold, it's really a burb of Chattanooga. I'm a member of Chattanooga Auto Replicas In Scale (CARS), we meet the third Saturday of each month at Discount Hobbies. We plan to put on a model show every year, next year it will be May 8. Also a good mix of import and domestic models at our show. :smile:

willimo
08-08-2003, 08:23 PM
I live just up the river in Baton Rouge. Every September (on my birthday this year, again.. Yay! I can warrant spending lots of money) the local plastic model club puts on a model contest at the USS Kidd. It's not really a huge contest, but there are enough [good] cars for there to be competition, and usually lots of planes and some armor.

That and I hear there's on in Pensacola but I don't know much about it and have never been.

Freakmech-- if you want details, PM me.

Asmenoth
08-08-2003, 09:08 PM
Well, I live in Orlando...but with us native Floridians becoming increasingly rarer and rarer, I'm not sure how "southern" we are considered. :biggrin: As for get-to-gethers/cons/meets and such...I usually don't hear about them until after the fact. :rolleyes:

z33guy
08-11-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

Do you know about the MCCM Magic City Car Modelers in B'ham? They meet at the Springville library once a month, and put on a big model car show on the first Sat. of March every year. Also some decent IPMS shows in Anniston, also Huntsville and Boaz.

nope i havent heard about them. Do you have anymore infor or a webiste? The huntsville one was all ive heard about.

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by z33guy

nope i havent heard about them. Do you have anymore infor or a webiste? The huntsville one was all ive heard about.

I can't find their current website (there is one but it's impossible to find on a web search).

Here's their contact man: Contact Tommy May (205)591-8038
e-mail TMAYMCCM@aol.com

Their show in March is one of the better shows in the country, though not as big as in previous years. It's at the Clay-Chalkville high school a few miles outside of B'ham. If you've ever read Scale Auto, and seen Pat Covert's name (writes many articles and books), he's in the club. I'm an "honorary member" of MCCM as well, though I haven't been to a meeting there in a long time. You should come to our ACME show in November, huge turnout-it's now bigger than the MCCM show.

z33guy
08-11-2003, 08:42 AM
yea let me know, im always looking for a reason to come to atl.

SuperStreet reader
08-11-2003, 09:03 AM
i live in h-town but dont know any contests round here

Add your comment to this topic!