Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

The Cars of The Fast And The Furious

larrygre
08-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Hi all!

Does anyone know a decent color formulation for the "Lamborghini Diablo Pearl Orange" on the Supra from TFATF? It looks almost like '69 Camaro Hugger Orange with a hint of pearlescence, but I doubt that to be the case. I've even asked a colleage that works at a House of Kolor retailer, and as far as he knows, they just mixed what they thought was cool and sprayed it on the car.

Any ideas? My AMT Supra thanks you in advance....

Best to all,

hirofkd
08-08-2003, 04:15 PM
Good paint shop should be able to look up the mixing ratio of the Diablo pearl orange.
Whether they sell it in small amount or not is a different issue, though.

SuperStreet reader
08-08-2003, 04:25 PM
testors comp orange :smile:

gt1car
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
You can mixe a orange color with a gold pearl!!
Me I use Sikkens paint( Automotive car with spray gun)

switch55
08-09-2003, 02:00 AM
I just picked up an orange pearl color made by Boyd. I think it looks pretty close:bigthumb:

ZoomZoomMX-5
08-09-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by hirofkd
Good paint shop should be able to look up the mixing ratio of the Diablo pearl orange.

True, I did see the color chips at a big local auto paint supply shop.

You can also get the Maisto Murcielago model (can be found for less than $10 most places), and then custom mix your own paint to match as closely as possible. Start w/ Testors Go Mango as a base, and cover it w/some pearl and perhaps a tinted clear over the pearl.

Or take that model to the paint supply shop and find a color chip that closely matches.

ales
08-09-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by ZoomZoomMX-5

Or take that model to the paint supply shop and find a color chip that closely matches.

Or find a correct colour code and name here (http://www.lambocars.com/paint.htm). I think it's Arancio Atlas that you need, but I'm not 100% sure.

larrygre
08-09-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by SuperStreet reader
testors comp orange :smile:

Testors #1628 Competition Orange is a dead-nuts match for '69-70 Camaro Hugger Orange. It's close to the TFATF color but is not pearlescent as the Supra's color is.

Most photos of the Supra are taken from such an angle that the pearlescence isn't noticeable - the color actually looks 'solid'. Closeups - and the movie itself - show the pearl. It's subtle, but it's very noticeable, especially up close and personal.

Yeah, I know I'm picky, but I've had plenty of practice - 12 years of writing the column STRICTLY STOCK for the magazines CAR MODELER and SCALE AUTO ENTHUSIAST and three years of writing critical reviews for MODEL CARS Magazine.

Thanks and regards,

larrygre
08-09-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by ales

Or find a correct colour code and name here (http://www.lambocars.com/paint.htm). I think it's Arancio Atlas that you need, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think you hit it dead on! Arancio Atlas is a Mica-type color which is a subtle metallic.

Time to go to my buddy at the paint shop and have him mix me a pint or so...!

Many thanks, friend.

larrygre
08-09-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by hirofkd

Im fortunate in that I know a guy at a local paint shop. He's cool, and usually can sell me as small a quantity as a pint.

Thanks!

gt1car
08-09-2003, 08:44 AM
A real candy pearl Is a tree 3in1 coat
Fisrt coat(3 coat of gold)
Second Coat(2 coat of normal clear)
third coat ( 5-10 coat or when you have the right effect you want of a orange pearl clear!!!!!!!

That hard to do but you can takr a Orange with a gold pearl in

(You can trust me Im a automotive paint!!:tongue:

Snooker
08-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Try "Craig Lieberman", "The Fast and the Furious", "Toyota Supra" and so on with google. Maybe youŽll find a page where the name of the paint is mentioned. I bookmarked this page, but I need to fix my computer to look it up. I just know the paint job was pretty expensive, around $6,000.

Toyotagt1
08-09-2003, 03:43 PM
Yes All ccandy cost!!!!!!!!!!!

blueboost
08-09-2003, 04:24 PM
its definately lamborghini paint. I've seen it on diablo's before. so just use the link ales left for you and have your friend match it up for you and your spot on. :bigthumb:

Add your comment to this topic!