Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

how to adjust the idle

barrem23
08-08-2003, 09:54 AM
where is the screw to adjust the idle located on a 1997 accord SE?

thanks

darkaccord
08-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Not sure, but here's the diagram from my repair manual:

BullShifter
08-08-2003, 08:18 PM
That would be correct. Dont tighten the throttle cable.
Adjust idle w/ engine warm & no electronics ON

Llackej1971
09-02-2003, 06:07 PM
I recently aquired a 1988 Honda Accord. The mechanic that I talked to told me to adjust the idle by adjusting the throtle cable. Now this guy is pretty smart, so I listened to him. Turns out that the cable adjusting nuts were very loose (1/4" loose per side). So I adjusted it using that.

Went to get my emmissions tested today, and had to leave because when I got there, the car MYSTERIOUSLY started idling at 2000 RPM. Before that, it was 3000 RPM. I came home and re re readjusted the idle. Now it is doing pretty good, but it tends to die when I switch the A/C on and off.

NOW I look under the breatheronly to find that there is yet another mystery adjustment screw on the left side of the carb. I am at a loss here. Can anybody shed some light on what all of these adjustment screws are for? (View described is facing engine from front of car)

Thanks, Llackej1971

BullShifter
09-02-2003, 10:43 PM
:grinno: you dont adjust the idle by turning the throttle cable. Adjusting the throttle cable is for removing any free-play. Adjust the idle with Idle Adjustment Screw - probably the one your talkin about.

Add your comment to this topic!