Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Hypercars

crayzayjay
08-08-2003, 04:31 AM
Which of the three latest hypercars would be top of your list?

FYRHWK1
08-08-2003, 07:28 AM
since when is a mercedes even a supercar, let alone to be ranked with the enzo and carerra GT? sorry, but merc doesn't know how to build a proper handling street car since they can't seem to keep the weight under 2 tons, Come back once the SLR's proven itself.

crayzayjay
08-08-2003, 10:40 AM
FYI the SLR was said to hold its own against the Carrera GT when both cars were testing on the Nurburgring. No mean feat, im sure you’ll agree. Yes, it is substantially heavier but with its electric gizmos the SLR is obviously still mega-fast. It’s a different means to an end but people have subtle differences in what they’re looking for in a hypercar, and so might be attracted to the ownership proposition of an SLR over that of an Enzo. These three cars can easily be compared. Come back once you’ve lost the attitude.

NISSANSPDR
08-08-2003, 11:00 AM
I fell in love when I saw the Carrera GT for the first time...I was like...wow...V10 and 2800 lbs...amazing

The Enzo is just ugly to me and the SLR is automatic (right?)...so the choice is easy

crayzayjay
08-08-2003, 01:53 PM
True. The Carrera GT won my heart over in a flash, something the Enzo hasnt done. Even under the skin, if you've seen the pics, the Carrera GT's chassis looks out of this world. I never thought i could think that about any car :smile:

Neutrino
08-08-2003, 03:52 PM
i'll take el Enzo for moi:biggrin:

YogsVR4
08-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Neutrino
i'll take el Enzo for moi:biggrin:

:iagree: :1:

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Jimster
08-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Enzo= I'll take it :D Simply a more "exotic-erotic" experience than the other two :bigthumb:

FYRHWK1
08-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by crayzayjay
FYI the SLR was said to hold its own against the Carrera GT when both cars were testing on the Nurburgring. No mean feat, im sure you’ll agree. Yes, it is substantially heavier but with its electric gizmos the SLR is obviously still mega-fast. It’s a different means to an end but people have subtle differences in what they’re looking for in a hypercar, and so might be attracted to the ownership proposition of an SLR over that of an Enzo. These three cars can easily be compared. Come back once you’ve lost the attitude.

Plenty of things have been *Said*, it doesnt mean that anythings going to go the way they talked. Electronic gizmos can make up for hundreds of lbs of static weight and god knows how much extra inertia? I never nkew that star treks inertial dampeners were real. . .

I'll take the carerra, Porsche can actually build a reliable supercar and I'd rather not break down every few days.

Neutrino
08-08-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by FYRHWK1

Electronic gizmos can make up for hundreds of lbs of static weight and god knows how much extra inertia? I never nkew that star treks inertial dampeners were real. . .

don't make me get my phaser ad come after you:mad:

:biggrin:

Jimster
08-09-2003, 12:38 AM

Plenty of things have been *Said*, it doesnt mean that anythings going to go the way they talked. Electronic gizmos can make up for hundreds of lbs of static weight and god knows how much extra inertia? I never nkew that star treks inertial dampeners were real. . .

I'll take the carerra, Porsche can actually build a reliable supercar and I'd rather not break down every few days.

As can Ferrari- especially in thier 1990+ models- after Enzo (Who only gave a shit about Ferrari's Racing division) was out of the way

FYRHWK1
08-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Neutrino

don't make me get my phaser ad come after you:mad:

:biggrin:
:lol:

Jimster, since when is ferrari a reliable car? The monkey who designs their electrical systems must've finally been replaced for that to happen.

Jimster
08-09-2003, 10:56 PM

:lol:

Jimster, since when is ferrari a reliable car? The monkey who designs their electrical systems must've finally been replaced for that to happen.

They shot him in 1990 :(

RIP the monkey :frown:

FYRHWK1
08-10-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Jimster

They shot him in 1990 :(

RIP the monkey :frown:

:sadwavey: bye little guy :(

crayzayjay
08-11-2003, 03:19 AM

Hint clearly not taken. I also didn’t think I’d have to explain the merits of traction control to someone who purportedly knows something about cars. Your Star Trek comment is lost on me, I was never sad enough to be a trekkie.

Jimster
08-12-2003, 01:45 AM

Hint clearly not taken. I also didn’t think I’d have to explain the merits of traction control to someone who purportedly knows something about cars. Your Star Trek comment is lost on me, I was never sad enough to be a trekkie.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!! C'mon Jay admit it- you dream of turning your house into the Starship enterprise and strutting around in Spock ears :thefinger

Either way I don't know how Star trek came into this either- unless Shatner ordered an Enzo or something :dunno:

crayzayjay
08-12-2003, 04:32 AM
:iceslolan you know me too well, Jimster... one of those skin-tight uniforms would be nice too :lol:

crayzayjay
08-12-2003, 04:34 AM
It’s a tie at the top between the Enzo and Carrera GT!! 5 – 5! I knew this would be tight… keep voting people :smile:

FYRHWK1
08-12-2003, 06:09 AM

hint clearly not taken? if you're talking about the attitude, nope. Traction control can make up for the large amount of extra inertia that the SLR will have over other said cars, gotcha, i'll make sure not to look to your advice if thats what you think.

The star trek comment was a joke, the name inertial dampener alone should be enough to guess as to what its supposed to do, its basicaly telling you your electronic gizmos are a waste of time and wont do jack, even a system like PSK couldn't help a land barge handle. Far from a trekkie bub, but I have watched the movies, it's a pretyt simple concept even if its impossible, use your imagination a little it might help.

crayzayjay
08-12-2003, 07:06 AM
hehe.. always so defiant… kind of cute… if you don’t think the traction control helps to offset some of the SLR’s weight, that's fine… stay in the dark

as for using my imagination, i have an Imagination Deficiency Disorder. sorry.. the doctors are doing all they can

FYRHWK1
08-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Traction control is reactionary, once you've lost traction it tries to get it back by simply slowing the wheel down, that's not going to help tires overpowered by the cars weight when entering a turn, it'll just make things worse. Every person Ive ever met has turned their traction conrol off while running on a track, it simply doesnt help if the tires traction limit is exceeded from lateral loading. Does it help? i'm sure it does, but braking each whele individually won't make up for a luxo car trying to play int he supercar market.

And my girlfriend calls me cute, I don't know whether you'r female or not but I'm assuming no, just for the record if you are a guy it makes you seem a little :gay:, just for the record of course.

crayzayjay
08-13-2003, 04:44 AM
Oh for chrissakes, would F1 cars be running TC if it didn’t make them faster around the track?

Maybe you saw my comment as :gay: because something inside you chooses to, but I regret to inform you that it was an allusion to your child-like impulses to bicker whenever you get the chance… And its getting a little repetitive. Now this thread isn’t a study into traction control, its about comparing three cars. The Ferrari Enzo, the Porsche Carrera GT, and the Mercedes SLR. If you don’t like it, don’t post.

Moppie
08-13-2003, 05:23 AM
Oh for chrissakes, would F1 cars be running TC if it didn’t make them faster around the track?

F1 cars dont use Traction control, they use very aggresivly tuned launch control. Similar effect, same concept, but a differnt system.

Traction control can make a car faster, but not when its tuned for safety as it is in the Merc, the same is true with the stablity control, and braking assistance. Its all set up to stop over enthuesatic millionaires from thowing the car off the road, not to help them run with Enzos and GT Porschs on the track.

While driving the Enterprise would be a nice way to get to work every morning, if I was looking to buy a "hypercar" there is not a single mercedes that would make the list, unless you consider a car with excessive amounts of technology to make up for compromises in the cars design a "hypercar", in which case there are many other cars that should be included in the list.

crayzayjay
08-13-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Moppie

F1 cars dont use Traction control, they use very aggresivly tuned launch control. Similar effect, same concept, but a differnt system.

Traction control can make a car faster, but not when its tuned for safety as it is in the Merc, the same is true with the stablity control, and braking assistance. Its all set up to stop over enthuesatic millionaires from thowing the car off the road, not to help them run with Enzos and GT Porschs on the track.

While driving the Enterprise would be a nice way to get to work every morning, if I was looking to buy a "hypercar" there is not a single mercedes that would make the list, unless you consider a car with excessive amounts of technology to make up for compromises in the cars design a "hypercar", in which case there are many other cars that should be included in the list.

Does it matter what it’s called? The system allows traction at the driving wheels to be actively controlled, right? Traction control. It makes a car faster at launch, and around corners, not just preventing it from falling off the track. Otherwise, would F1 teams have it in place? Frank Williams would risk a driver error rather than choosing a slower but safer setup, right? Safety does come into it in the SLR, but of course the system helps the car’s performance. And the carbon brakes to make it stop faster… and so maximise performance. One of the lead developers of the SLR (cant remember who, ill dig it up) said sometimes they were quicker than the C GT at the ‘ring, sometimes not. I don’t think he’s telling porkies because if he is, it’s too easy to expose when these two cars are pitted against each other, which would be embarrassing, and besides no one’s denied it. Now I have no doubt that the SLR was quicker when conditions were tricky, i.e. wet, but still, its systems helped it “run with a gt on the track”. Since then the C GT has acquired TC itself. Listen, the SLR is not as extreme as the other two cars but its still damn quick. I would define all three cars as hypercars, each with a different level of extremity, Enzo the most and SLR the least. And everyone has slightly different tastes. Besides, the SLR’s racked up a couple of votes. It may not do it for you, nor indeed for me – I go for the Porsche - but someone out there would take it over an Enzo or a C GT. IMO, that makes it a vindicated decision to pit them against each other

FYRHWK1
08-13-2003, 11:38 AM

Does it matter what it’s called? The system allows traction at the driving wheels to be actively controlled, right? Traction control. It makes a car faster at launch, and around corners, not just preventing it from falling off the track. Otherwise, would F1 teams have it in place? Frank Williams would risk a driver error rather than choosing a slower but safer setup, right? Safety does come into it in the SLR, but of course the system helps the car’s performance. And the carbon brakes to make it stop faster… and so maximise performance. One of the lead developers of the SLR (cant remember who, ill dig it up) said sometimes they were quicker than the C GT at the ‘ring, sometimes not. I don’t think he’s telling porkies because if he is, it’s too easy to expose when these two cars are pitted against each other, which would be embarrassing, and besides no one’s denied it. Now I have no doubt that the SLR was quicker when conditions were tricky, i.e. wet, but still, its systems helped it “run with a gt on the track”. Since then the C GT has acquired TC itself. Listen, the SLR is not as extreme as the other two cars but its still damn quick. I would define all three cars as hypercars, each with a different level of extremity, Enzo the most and SLR the least. And everyone has slightly different tastes. Besides, the SLR’s racked up a couple of votes. It may not do it for you, nor indeed for me – I go for the Porsche - but someone out there would take it over an Enzo or a C GT. IMO, that makes it a vindicated decision to pit them against each other

Yes, it does matter, beause it does not make it faster around the corners.
If you oversteer into a turn, traction control will not bring you back, if you understeer into a turn, it will not bring you back, if you suddenly add too much throttle and break the rears loose, THEN it MIGHT bring you back, does it help save you from mistakes? yes, does it make you lap faster? no, because the fastest lap will have no mistakes such as adding too much throttle mid turn, the car will still kick out nd TC will only help so much to keep it in control. It is not performance minded nor is it capable of doing so, it's just a safety measure, moppie is 100% right.

and who in the hell came up with the term hypercar? you're full of :gay: in this thread arent you.

and no, something inside me doesn't choose to see it that way, your comment was plain fruity, but i guess you wouldnt notice that about yourself.

Moppie
08-13-2003, 02:53 PM

and who in the hell came up with the term hypercar? you're full of :gay: in this thread arent you.

:spit:

Now, now, easy boy, let him have his opinions. :cool:

crayzayjay
08-14-2003, 03:42 AM
You still haven’t answered. If TC isn’t mandatory in F1 why do all the teams run it? The driver can put down the power earlier out of a corner and the system takes care of it. It removes driver involvement, absolutely, but it makes for an optimised lap. In theory it may not be quicker than the “perfect lap”, but who has driven a perfect lap, ever? you obviously didn’t get the part about TC helping in difficult track conditions :rolleyes: I agree, TC is not wholly performance minded, I never said it was. Moppie is 100% right? Re-read what moppie said. TC can make a car faster. Now I personally have not driven an SLR, I doubt that I will anytime soon, but I’m assuming you haven’t either, so neither of us is sure how the TC is set up. I’m sure however, that it is adjustable, and that it will have a more aggressive setting that enhances performance, most certainly in wet conditions.

And who in the hell are you to dissect my terminology? An English teacher? Your :gay: comment is unacceptable and your insistence to dwell on it is suspicious :lol:
Anyway, it’s your first warning. There won’t be a second.

FYRHWK1
08-16-2003, 12:00 AM
You still haven’t answered. If TC isn’t mandatory in F1 why do all the teams run it? The driver can put down the power earlier out of a corner and the system takes care of it. It removes driver involvement, absolutely, but it makes for an optimised lap. In theory it may not be quicker than the “perfect lap”, but who has driven a perfect lap, ever? you obviously didn’t get the part about TC helping in difficult track conditions :rolleyes: I agree, TC is not wholly performance minded, I never said it was. Moppie is 100% right? Re-read what moppie said. TC can make a car faster. Now I personally have not driven an SLR, I doubt that I will anytime soon, but I’m assuming you haven’t either, so neither of us is sure how the TC is set up. I’m sure however, that it is adjustable, and that it will have a more aggressive setting that enhances performance, most certainly in wet conditions.

And who in the hell are you to dissect my terminology? An English teacher? Your :gay: comment is unacceptable and your insistence to dwell on it is suspicious :lol:
Anyway, it’s your first warning. There won’t be a second.

They run it to save the car if there's a mistake, you're still forgetting that TC is REACTIONARY, meaning traction is still lost at one point. At those speeds losing traction for the shortest amount of time can send you off the track, which means the driver never relies on the system.

Aggressive setitngs? such as? the system begins braking the slipping wheels sooner? I don't know of any system that doesnt try to slow the wheel and stop slippage as soon as it can. Being it has to wait for traction to be lost, I'd liek to see any system, save for Porsche's PSK, that can work any better.

Edited.

Jimster
08-16-2003, 01:06 AM
They run it to save the car if there's a mistake, you're still forgetting that TC is REACTIONARY, meaning traction is still lost at one point. At those speeds losing traction for the shortest amount of time can send you off the track, which means the driver never relies on the system, sorry pal.

Aggressive setitngs? such as? the system begins braking the slipping wheels sooner? I don't know of any system that doesnt try to slow the wheel and stop slippage as soon as it can. Being it has to wait for traction to be lost, I'd liek to see any system, save for Porsche's PSK, that can work any better.

Your terminology sucks, I'm sorry, but it does, hypercar sounds like something out of a cheesy sci-fi flick. It's unacceptable? well if your grammar weren't so flaming I wouldn't have to make any comments about it. There wont' be a second? OOOH, I'm terrified, what'll you do, ban me? go for it kiddo, save for a few good people this place has done nothing but lower my IQ, I wonder how half these people made moderator personally, you'd think they could handle the responsibility without being another biased kid, but I guess not.

Your attitude doesn't help anything- and if you don't like AF then feel free to go- this isn't Zimbabwe- you are free to leave when you like

FYRHWK1
08-16-2003, 08:31 AM
It's not so much the fact that the place sucks, it's the fact that a moderator is threatening to ban me or whatever for something he himself is guilty of, you would think he could restrain himself if it's "unallowed". I'm not just trying to start trouble, but I see plenty of others taking a high and mighty attitude in all of their posts so I'm hardly going against the grain here, the only reason it sticks out is because I prefer a type of car the majority doesn't, funny how that works eh?

I know I can leave, but it's still a good board with plenty of knowledge in it so I browse occasionally, but it seems that when you give the same attitude that you get from a person sometimes they can't handle it. But that's all I've got to say in regards to this soap opera, I'll take my leave before it gets too out of hand, the webteam does a good job here and I'm not going to continue as I'm sure they'll be dragged into it sooner or later.

JD@af
08-16-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm uh, staying out of all the above and simply casting my vote for a Carrera GT, though neither the Enzo nor the SLR are slouches by ANY measure. I will also say briefly that traction control systems rule and are generally worth the additional weight they add to a given car.

There's some cool stuff on the Carrera GT here, including videos and sound clips (click on "Carrera GT Experience"): http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/usa/carreragt/modelinformation/default.htm

Pennzoil GT-R
08-16-2003, 04:51 PM
FYRHWK1. On every forum you visit you seem to wish to write off anything that is not made by GM, or is made by Mercedes. You say you want facts instead of specualtion. What are you doing now? You are speculating by your so called knowledge that the SLR is inferior because it has so many electronic gismos. The hard evidence for the Carrera GT and the SLR is as follows:

They both lap consistently with each other, although in the wet the SLR has the edge
Porsche has written off two GT's at the 'ring, Mercedes has written off none.

Unitl you get some facts of your own, please stop bringing your "knowledge" on every forum you see fit. If you wish to prove yourself, go to gtr.co.uk, find a thread entitled "mass of cornering.....acceleration" and find yourself totally drowned by people who really do know what they are talking about.

MclarenF1LM
08-16-2003, 05:53 PM
How does the term SUPERCAR sound to everybody.

First of all a heavy car can move it's weight around
pretty well bently has proven that time and time again.

Secondly very sofisticated traction controll systems
can improve lap times because even the best driver
doesn't have nearly as quick reaction time in an emergency
situation as a computer and if nothing else no one can
deny it is a very effective safety feture(think BMW and
Audi).

My vote gose for the Enzo simply because there is
no Mclaren F1 which would otherwize get my vote.

Jimster
08-16-2003, 06:43 PM
Good point on the McLaren F1- it's be nice to see how these modern "hypercars" compare to the original hypercar :devil: My favourite singular car is McLaren F1 XP4 :grinyes:

FYRHWK1
08-17-2003, 09:59 PM
FYRHWK1. On every forum you visit you seem to wish to write off anything that is not made by GM, or is made by Mercedes. You say you want facts instead of specualtion. What are you doing now? You are speculating by your so called knowledge that the SLR is inferior because it has so many electronic gismos. The hard evidence for the Carrera GT and the SLR is as follows:

They both lap consistently with each other, although in the wet the SLR has the edge
Porsche has written off two GT's at the 'ring, Mercedes has written off none.

Unitl you get some facts of your own, please stop bringing your "knowledge" on every forum you see fit. If you wish to prove yourself, go to gtr.co.uk, find a thread entitled "mass of cornering.....acceleration" and find yourself totally drowned by people who really do know what they are talking about.

Sorry, but you obviously never read my posts if you believe I write off anything non-GM. what am I doing now? the same thing people like you do every time you see a camaro on the track, speculating about it's performance based on the known facts of it. GM did a little ad, it basically said the FWD DTS could outhandle a RWD BMW 5 series because in a test they did (with the DTS on some very nice tries and hte 5 series on all seasons) the DTS did better. . . see where I'm going with this?

Drowned by people who know more then me? I'd hope so, if I've got the #1 spot in the automotive world we're all in alot of trouble, but what I do know is that you won't be one of those people "drowning" me.

Pennzoil GT-R
08-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Sorry, but you obviously never read my posts if you believe I write off anything non-GM. what am I doing now? the same thing people like you do every time you see a camaro on the track, speculating about it's performance based on the known facts of it. GM did a little ad, it basically said the FWD DTS could outhandle a RWD BMW 5 series because in a test they did (with the DTS on some very nice tries and hte 5 series on all seasons) the DTS did better. . . see where I'm going with this?

Drowned by people who know more then me? I'd hope so, if I've got the #1 spot in the automotive world we're all in alot of trouble, but what I do know is that you won't be one of those people "drowning" me.

You dont know me or know what knowledge/experience i have with cars. Which is the same reason i refrain from speculationg about your knowledge and experience whenever i can help it.

Add your comment to this topic!