Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sas carbon decal

hon808os
08-08-2003, 03:00 AM
i seem to be having a problem with the decal sticking to my model, after it dries it comes off easily....what am i doing wrong?

thanks

Focus2000
08-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Are you soaking it in water for too long, so all the glue is dissolving? All you need to do is dunk it in the water and leave for a 10-15 seconds.

A little off-topic, but slightly related - I got my SAS CF decals the other day and think they are brilliant! I thought I'd mess about with my Enzo headlight unit and try to CF it. It's a difficult shape, but with some persuasion with a bit of MicroSol the decals went on very well. They conformed to the angles and curves a lot better than I expected, and have a very good pattern. I will certainly be getting more in the future :biggrin:

Now if only Chris would do Kevlar as well :wink:

flyonthewall
08-08-2003, 04:23 AM
What did you do to it to make it come off?

Vric
08-08-2003, 08:16 AM
I got the same problem too the first time i used it.. scrap half of the sheet, but i'm really sure it's becose I waited too long in watter :loser:

Dr.AK
08-08-2003, 09:03 AM
euh... i got a question about these decals, if you put them on a hood er something, do you cut them to shape before you put them in the water or just do you cut them roughly in shape and cut off the overstanding pieces after it was applies and has dryed??

i'm thinking of ordering some of them in the future but before that i want to know that.

thizishkenny
08-08-2003, 09:25 AM
yes that happened to me too. It just wouldnt stay on the car but im pretty sure its because i didnt use microsol at that time but now i bought some so now i will try again with the cf decals.

Vric
08-08-2003, 09:28 AM
yea i didn't had microsol at this time... maybe it's the problem

for the cutting question, you need to cut it before.. you can make it about 1cm larger on every direction and you flip it under the hood.. if you want, you can cut it when dry.

flyonthewall
08-08-2003, 09:45 AM
These decals really don't need long in water, 10secs and that's it. Never leave decals soaking anyway, place them in water for a few seconds then place on some tissue to soak up the excess water and leave for a few more seconds while the glue dissolves.

Too much of a soaking could have caused the problem you mention, so too can a poorly prepared surface or an incorrectly finished one. Never apply to a matt surface as it won't stick.

Microsol also helps to adhere decals better cox it will bond it with the paint.

thizishkenny
08-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Hey Chris, would it stick to primer because thats what i did?

flyonthewall
08-08-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by thizishkenny
Hey Chris, would it stick to primer because thats what i did?

Primer is a matt finish so you wont get good results. If your doing a hood then paint it gloss or semi gloss black first.

hon808os
08-08-2003, 01:37 PM
thanks everyone i'll try your suggestions i hope i can get it to work better thanks

hon808os
08-08-2003, 09:39 PM
can i use duplicolor clear coat over the top of the decal.....if not then how about future floor polish?

thanks

flyonthewall
08-09-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by hon808os
can i use duplicolor clear coat over the top of the decal.....if not then how about future floor polish?

thanks

As long as you build up several very fine mist coats first so that the paint won't attack the decal, it will be fine.

Future wont be such a problem and can be applied straight on.

Add your comment to this topic!