Dodge Durango Problems

Nunziocal
08-07-2003, 08:17 PM
Hi, I have a 99 Durango that has been giving me problems on and off most of this summer. The check engine light comes on and stays on for a while, sometimes a day or two, sometimes more or less, then will shut off. While parked, the idle will ocassionally increase to around 2000-2500, for no apparent reason. Also, sometimes the transmission will feel like it is starting out in 3rd gear. (Like I'm pulling an elephant!). Then just as suddenly as these problems come on, they go away and it runs fine. I've taken it in to Carmax (where it was purchased) but they said the check engine light needs to be on while they test it in order to diagnose the problem. Any Suggestions?

dod83
08-16-2003, 08:24 PM
We had a similar problem with our Durango. The check engine light came on. It too felt like it was pulling an elephant. So, we took it in the dealer and they said it was the speed sensor. They said it would cost about 300.00 to fix. We went to auto zone bought the part for 26.00 and fixed it ourselves. It took about 30 minutes to replace it.

Nunziocal
08-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Thanks for your reply. I have since learned that the transmission will go into what is called "limp Mode". It runs in second gear to prevent damage when a problem is sensed. You need to shut the vehicle off, then restart to correct this. Of course this may not apply if one has a genuine tranny problem rather than just a bad sensor or computer or something similar. I am going to try the speed sensor replacement and hope for the best. Thanks again.

CG9288
08-21-2003, 07:45 AM
Same problem on my '99 and it was indeed the speed sensor. Not sure of the cost to repair since the extended warranty covered it.

durangomax
09-19-2003, 05:51 PM
I have a 99 Durango, 4X4 with the 5.2L. My engine light came on and the erratic shifting began. The fix...I went to Autozone and bought a new speed sensor for $22.99...replaced the sensor...and it is now shifting like it should. The sensor is located on the tail of the tranny on the drivers side. A bit of fluid will drain out, but not enough to worry about. Also, the engine light did not go out immediately. So, I disconnected the positive battery cable for about 10 minutes and presto...the light is out and the tranny is shifting like it should. I hope this helps somebody out.

MValles
10-13-2003, 08:14 PM
My Dodge Durango Nightmare - I purchased a brand new 2001 Dodge Durango in September of 2001. In late September of 2002 the motor went out. The vehicle began overheating. I took in for repair several times only to get it back and it continue to overheat. The motor finally gave out.

My vehicle had 49,000 miles on because I drive 100 per day. After filing a Lemon Law complaint with the State of Texas I finally, after 3 months of arguing my point, got the motor replaced by Dodge. The dealer even verbally admitted to me that there is a flaw with the motor.

Today, my vehicle has 85,000. When the motor got replaced back in October of 2002, Dodge gave me a 100,000 mile warranty.

Today my husband took my vehicle to get inspected and it didn't pass emissions testing and the vehilce is leaking fluids. The mechanic asked my husband if the car had been overheating. My car is back in for service and I have a bad feeling that the engine is going out again based on what the mechanic told my husband.

I also have yet to receive any type of recall parts notice from Dodge on the Durango. I know there is a list of about 10 or more out on the web but they have not sent me any notices. I have had the same address for the past 10 years.

sdota
10-14-2003, 07:45 AM
My 98 durango started shifting erratically at 73,000 mi. I just replaced the speed control sensor for $18.00. It seems to have solved the majority of the problem, although, it still seems to have the issue to a lesser degree when the engine/tran. is cold.

FYI, I couldn't get the speed sensor at any local autozone, napa, advanced auto....I ended up ordering online from rockauto.com.

DodgeD03
10-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Im so glad that I have found someone w/ the same problem. I havent even made the 3rd payment on it yet. My problem happens when I back out of my driveway and shift to drive it acts as though it is hanging between Neutral and Drive. It barely pulls and the motor just whines high like it is in low gear trying to pull something heavy. I've taken it in and of course get the same response that "nothing is wrong" and "drive it up here the next time it does it"....well, let me just tell you that I cant drive it up there when it does it becuz it wont make it w/out really tearing something up. 8:00am rush hour will not let me make it there either. Everyone says that I dont stop completely before shifting but I make sure I do since this problem has occured. The first time it happended my SUV would completely die if I didnt keep my foot on the gas also. Now this morning after I shut it off to reset it I had a warning signal come on but no light on the dash to tell me what the problem was. How am I going to argue that???

SusanMarie
11-20-2003, 08:40 PM
Thank you thank you i see light at the end of the tunnel, just brought a used 2000 durango (1st time i buy a used car and don't get the exended warrenty, go figure)
Made my third payment and then battery dies, incovient by no biggie, i awfull for leaving the lights on
so replace the battery and then suddenly the check engine light is on
and go to pull off truck acts like, very aptly describe in previous post its pulling an elphent or a herd of them.
having been a poster child for murphys law this year I have been fearing the worst, but after reading this thread Hubby is on his way to an auto parts store in the am for a speed sensor and fingers are crossed (toes too lol)
thanks for hope
SusanMarie

sunfeather99
11-27-2003, 09:10 PM
ok, bought my durango (98) about a year ago. Seems that when the humidity gets high and when it rains or any type of major weather change, my tranny pops in and out of over drive. Starts around 1800 rpms and gets real bad around 2200 rpms. Had it put on the diagnostics machine and they said nothing was wrong with it, but they noticed that it was happening. But yet it throws no code. The engine light does not come on either. We took it to dodge and they said *no worries, its normal* well I don't seem to think it popping in and out is normal. The only thing we modified was changing the exhaust to dual straights extending from the cats. But I have seen other Dodges with dual straights and they claim to not have the problem. Could the speed sensor be whats wrong with my black baby??

Any help would be appreciated.

Sunny

rod2envy
06-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Hi,

dod83, where was the speed sensor located, Im trying to find mine to have it replaced, I cheked the chiltons manual and its saying on one of the wheels behind the rotor discs??? this doesnt sound right but I might be wrong, any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

I also heard theres 2 speed sensors, is this true?

Damian

We had a similar problem with our Durango. The check engine light came on. It too felt like it was pulling an elephant. So, we took it in the dealer and they said it was the speed sensor. They said it would cost about 300.00 to fix. We went to auto zone bought the part for 26.00 and fixed it ourselves. It took about 30 minutes to replace it.

Nunziocal
07-12-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't know if you ever found the location of the sensor, I haven't visited this site since last year. I replaced the sensor when I initially posted at that time (beginning of this thread). That solved my problems until recently when the same symptoms recurred. I put in another sensor and it runs fine again. I guess I can expect to replace the thing a couple of times a year! Such fine engineering! The sensor is on the rear of the transmission. On the drivers side. You just pull the electrical connector off, then unscrew the sensor. Park with the front end lower than the rear, because trans fluid will escape when you remove it. Just be prepared to screw the new one in real fast and you'll only lose a bit of fluid. Good luck. Durango... :banghead:

billhill_401
04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
my 01 durango also pops in and out of gear at speeds above 40. more offten when it is warm out any ideas

DurangoDave
04-29-2005, 08:47 AM
my 01 durango also pops in and out of gear at speeds above 40. more offten when it is warm out any ideas

I would try replacing the tranny speed sensor. (Yes, there are two speed sensors, but the other one is on the rear differential and relates to ABS braking control).

Add your comment to this topic!