Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

other message boards?

logikal6785
08-06-2003, 12:28 PM
wow. somebody needs a nap. and maybe a pacifier.

MaNtiS3024
08-08-2003, 06:32 PM
yeah i have to agree that this 944 board is dead. Trying joining a 944 group on yahoo groups, i know of 2 active ones with lots of members.

Cbass
08-10-2003, 04:25 PM
Yeah, the rennlist board is the only real online 944 community... Of course, if I gave the URL, that would be advertising on AF, which is a no no.

So go do a google search for rennlist forums ;)

87Porsche951
08-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Rennlist is a good message board, alot of people who actually work on 944's and know alot. I am a member of Rennlist and the URL is: http://forums.rennlist.com/

Enjoy!

(I dont consider helping someone advertising, plus Im not selling a product or service.)

speedshifter
12-14-2003, 11:31 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I took your advice and went to the Rennlist board. Yes they are Porsche specific, but thats about it. I have made a couple posts in the past couple days and have not received a single reply!

I don't get much help here, but at least I get replies.

This is kind of pathetic. All 944 boards ive been to really suck. With my board for my truck (gm-trucks.com) I get posts back within hours and they are informative.

Here when I ask info on putting a S2 motor or a Turbo motor in a '86 NA, i get some fruit say "why build a car that Porsche already makes?" If I had a nickel for everytime i've read that phrase on this board, I'd have enought money to drive a 911.

87Porsche951
12-15-2003, 01:05 AM
Rennlist is the best forum for 944's. I have not found a better forum. The reason why they replied saying: "why build a car that Porsche already makes?" is because its impractable to do such a conversion when it would be cheaper just to buy a 944 Turbo. Even if you swapped the motor in the car wouldnt perform nearly as good as a real 944 Turbo. Porsche didnt just slapa turbo on the car, they upgraded many many things. Body, Chassis, Suspension, Engine, Trans, etc.

regular 944's are not worth the money and effort to mod. If you want to mod a n/a 944 buy a S2. :banghead:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I took your advice and went to the Rennlist board. Yes they are Porsche specific, but thats about it. I have made a couple posts in the past couple days and have not received a single reply!

I don't get much help here, but at least I get replies.

This is kind of pathetic. All 944 boards ive been to really suck. With my board for my truck (gm-trucks.com) I get posts back within hours and they are informative.

Here when I ask info on putting a S2 motor or a Turbo motor in a '86 NA, i get some fruit say "why build a car that Porsche already makes?" If I had a nickel for everytime i've read that phrase on this board, I'd have enought money to drive a 911.

speedshifter
12-15-2003, 11:33 AM
Okay, a turbo 944 in good condition goes for like $9k right?

I just bought an '86 NA in perfect conditiion with a seized motor for $1500. You telling me that it would cost $7500 to swap in all the parts that make a Turbo different from the NA car (engine, suspension, front bumper, etc)?

87Porsche951
12-15-2003, 01:48 PM
You can get a decent 944 Turbo for $6K. Even if you got the M44-51 or M44-52 engine the car probably wouldnt be able to handle the speed. Plus the car has more drag than a real 944 turbo. If you price what it wuld take to do a engine swap, bumber conversions, valance, rocker panels, suspension, wheels, tires, etc. needed to make the car perform like a true 944 Turbo it would cost you easily twice the cost of a real 944 Turbo. And good luck finding a 944 Turbo motor thats not junked.

speedshifter
12-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Too late, I already bought the '86 NA with the blown motor.

I now see why this board sucks. I ask how to put a turbo motor in, and all you people say is go buy the 944 turbo. Thats just laziness and not willing to help a fellow Porsche owner. When you post telling me to buy another car when I'm trying to upgrade mine, it just shows you don't know anything about swapping the motor in. So why are you posting to begin with?

87Porsche951
12-16-2003, 01:53 AM
First id like to say your such a jackass. we simply pointed out you cant turbo the n/a engine without exdesive fabrication.

Your so full of shit if you expect me to beleive that you found a M44-51 engine that quick.

930guy
12-16-2003, 09:03 PM
to Mr speed shifter: Its not laziness is being smarter than you. We're in the Porsche world and know the price and availability of the parts and how much work it is to swap them. If you don't want our advise-DON'T ASK! Go back and play with you're hot wheels!

speedshifter
12-16-2003, 10:55 PM
Okay, I'm real sorry for being so pissy lately. I really am a good guy and don't cause trouble on any boards.

I can see what you guys are saying, I just had my mind set on dropping in a 951 motor. I was wrong, sorry.

87: i didn't buy an engine yet. I bought my car off eBay, which is a NA 944 and the motor is blown. Thats why I'm looking for an alternative motor to drop in. Sorry for the confusion and insults guys.

blacktofu
12-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Dear god people...lets all get along. We've got good cars, great engineering, and who cares if a civic can beat us off the line? Sure, all N/A owners, including myself, have that itch to be in something a little quicker off the start. Sure, we all cringe when a damn dodge ram sport revs his engine at you while sitting at a stoplight, stomps it, and leaves you eating dust...and sure, we all have had thoughts like "maybe I should look for a turbo." Some of us have crazy ideas like seriously upgrading things- maybe dropping a new engine and so forth. But in the end. When we walk out of the supermarket, getting gas, or stroll towards our "porsche" that sits in the parking lot, we all think "damn, thats a beutiful car." No honda, no toyota, no chevy, no ford, could ever beat the brillance of a german engineered automobile...especially porsche. My god, even the name is magnificient.

930guy
12-18-2003, 06:15 PM
Amen!!!

Black5gen
01-02-2004, 02:05 PM
Rennlist Need I say more??? Hey I smell a 944S2NUT lurking in these forums! How do you post pics on here ;) ;)

MichelleJD
01-02-2004, 02:41 PM
There are a couple of guys on the rennlist who are "teaching their n/a's to whistle." The first time I found rennlist I asked this same question. I got the same response. I found it to be enlightening, so I bought a turbo. However, there are some guys that enjoy what it takes to drop a turbo in a n/a. If you go back to rennlist, these guys will help you out. Do a search, I think you'll find what you need.

John Anderson
01-02-2004, 03:29 PM
We are doing these conversions all the time. I would say that for street driving, the stock brakes will hold up fine, with mild suspension upgrades. For the track, turbo brakes, or we just install Big Reds.

I never knew this board was out here. I'm from the rennlist, but will be here just as often.

Quick Poll: How many users on this board are also users of rennlist?

Take Care

John Anderson

Travis @ Rennbay
01-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I am. I saw this forum pop up a while ago on rennlist. Something about trying to get enough new members so the admin would make a 944 section. I guess it worked.

P10DET
01-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Of course it's possible to do a turbo install on an NA. Not too many folks have been doing it since Calloway howver. But, the Calloway turbo was a total hack job by today's standards. I think a good turbo set-up can be done, but I've yet to read about someone doing it. I don't have the time or inclination. My car is being built for a specific racing class.

I would say if you really want to turbo your NA 944, do plenty of homework, find a good fabricator, and a good engine management person (probably the most important) and bring money.

More than that. :)

Or pay John to build it.

There are folks on Rennlist who have done the 951 engine into the NA. Do a search on Rennlist. I'm sure you'll find it.

BIG TU
01-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Ive Got A 944 And The Dash Lights Just Brnt Out Does It Sound Like A Big Job Anyone Know Where I Can Get A Manual

Add your comment to this topic!