Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tail Lights

CRYPNOTICISM
08-05-2003, 12:12 PM
I have a 92' S-15 TBI vin ending in Z.......About 2 weeks ago my tail lights stopped working....Every time i put in a fuse it blows as soon as i turn on the lights....The brake, and signals work just not the night time light....I put a 30 amp fuse in there for a one way ride home and it worked, restarted the truck the next night and it blew right away....I tore out the lights checked each side nothing looks wrong, i replaced every light bulb, i ripped out the rear carpet to check the wires that run on the floor to each side they seemed a little damp on the outer plastic coating so i wiped them down and let them dry out over a couple days, but the wires had no cut in them to allow water in.....Checked the grounds and they seem fine as well......I can't figure out what the hell the problem is....
Anyone have any ideas?

Also does anyone know what the lights behind the digital dash are called......i have 4-5 open spaces and want to fil them in, and what are the bulbs called that fit in them.......they almost look like relays or fuses the way they fit and tightening in the back of the board......and where to get such a item? Has anyone fixed one of these without sending the dash to someone to get fixed? i can get the speedometer to work, and the tripometer, and if i put one of the bulbs where the transmission warning light goes i can get the orange and red boxes to work but nothing else.....The tripometer also wigs out (the numbers jump around) now and then, and every time i restart the truck it resets itself, but once in awhile it won't.....I've followed the circuitry and i can't find any scratch's or anything anywhere so i'm ruling that out.....would those light spots not being filled in keep things from not working.....also on each bulb holder theres a # like 67 or 62 and so on, what does that mean?
I've asked alot here, but it's a way of learning right.......I'm somewhat new to this truck, and rather do repairs myself if i can....

-STEVE

joetunick
01-02-2004, 10:44 AM
I had same shorting problem in my S-10. Turned out to be a shorted license plate socket.

Add your comment to this topic!