Page updated on 10-22-2017

Newbie question about priming

Mikke
11-26-2001, 12:08 PM
Hi

Everyone keeps saying how important priming is, so I have one question: WHY is it so important?
So far I've gotten pretty nice results without priming (using brushes, no sprays or airbrush for me). Could someone please explain, as simply as possible, what advantages do I get if I use primer. Also, should I use "real primer", or will for example Tamiya Flat White spray do (as some modelers say).

And sorry bout my not-so-great-English :o

Guiddy
11-26-2001, 12:25 PM
HI, welcome to the board!:D

I see you are from the home of rallying! What kind of kits are you into?

The purpose of primer is 2 fold!
First, it covers scratches and imperfections, smoothing the surface ready for paint.
2nd, it grips the plastic, and then the paint can grip it, meaning it will last longer and cover better!

But you have to know your stuff! If you use car primers, make sure it is for plastic, like bumpers and stuff!
I use car paints, and they will not stick to plastic without the right primer!
Stick around and learn how we paint! I think you'll like the results!
Use primer, it's great! White base won't have those smoothing or gripping capabilities!

P.S Don't mention brush painting bodies round here! It's a bit of a sin!

awaken1973
11-26-2001, 02:19 PM
I brush-painted whole my first model Mazda RX7
AFTER it was completed (have windows and black frames)
becouse I never heard before about this forum ;)

Jay!
11-26-2001, 02:40 PM
Welcome to AF and the modeling forum!!! I'm glad you found us. :D :D :D

May I ask, how did you find us?

I'm working on getting us more publicity, as right now I think Google may be where we get most of our visitors.

awaken1973
11-26-2001, 02:43 PM
don't remember exactly, thru one of searching machines
or maybe there was a link on gpma.org

Mikke
11-26-2001, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys

Ok, I know I shouldn't do brush-painting, but my apartment (and my fiancee) don't leave me much choice. Not to mention that Tamiya sprays are not available in Finland

*makes a mental note for getting an actual workarea*

I'm not especially into rally car kits, but anything goes. I have a couple of kits waiting to be started:

Tabac-Sonax AMG Mercedes DTM
Honda S800
Alfa-Romeo GTV
Mustang Cobra R
Lotus Super Seven II
Celica GT-Four (missing hood and engine parts :( )

I found this group by a link in rec.models.scale, and I'm in heaven
:frog:

Guiddy
11-26-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Mikke

I'm not especially into rally car kits, but anything goes. I have a couple of kits waiting to be started:

Tabac-Sonax AMG Mercedes DTM
Honda S800
Alfa-Romeo GTV
Mustang Cobra R
Lotus Super Seven II
Celica GT-Four (missing hood and engine parts :( )

:frog:

Yeah, it's a great forum! Though you get back what you put in!
Trouble is, Often i spend too much time posting that could be spent building, but there you go!:rolleyes:

As for your Tabac Merc, check out the paint on Steve's! I think we can still give you the paint code if you are interested!

Jay!
11-26-2001, 05:35 PM
:frog: Was it a post by one SilverStoneS2000? :flash: I'd forgotten that I'd done that! :p Stupid AOL is my news server, and I can't see messages I post! :confused:

Mikke
11-26-2001, 05:39 PM
Good looking Merc, but I won't be starting mine in a long long time. A bit too much decaling at this point for me, but since it cost only 8.... :D

Do you happen to know where I could get the missing parts for my Celica (Tamiya kit 24133) - other than Tamiya?

Mikke
11-26-2001, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
Was it a post by one SilverStoneS2000? :flash: I'd forgotten that I'd done that! :p Stupid AOL is my news server, and I can't see messages I post! :confused:

Just checked... yes it was. Thanks for the link :)

Guiddy
11-26-2001, 05:46 PM
Do you happen to know where I could get the missing parts for my Celica (Tamiya kit 24133) - other than Tamiya?

Nope! I usually buy another kit! I will always use the other parts for spares!:D

Jay!
11-26-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
Was it a post by one SilverStoneS2000? :flash: I'd forgotten that I'd done that! :p Stupid AOL is my news server, and I can't see messages I post! :confused: Here's my post through Google, BTW:

http://groups.google.com/groups?start=125&hl=en&group=rec.models.scale&selm=20011125052858.12523.00001497%40mb-fx.aol.com

Edit: I don't want to spam the newsgroup, but since they only get about a dozen posts a day about cars, I was thinking we could reply to it every day or so, to keep it near the top, so any car modelers to look in there (like Mikka, or like I used to) will have half a chance to see it... So, anyone with usenet access, I'd appreciate the help. :D

primera man
11-26-2001, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Guiddy

As for your Tabac Merc, check out the paint on Steve's! I think we can still give you the paint code if you are interested!

Tamiya do it in a can called...*DTM METALLIC DEEP GREEN*

Add your comment to this topic!