Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cheap pontiac muscle

venom800R
07-31-2003, 01:08 AM
Heres a pontiac musclecar you don't think to much about. sunbird.
Seriously, pontica fans, low on cash? want a fast car? my friend had (before he blacked out and ran into a tree) a '79 sunbird fastback (rear wheel drive still). it was originally equipt with a 305 so it could obviously fit a 350. the guys he bought it from got the car out of a junkyard for 100 bux. the block on the 305 was cracked and the 350 edlebrock crate motor was dropped in. tight, but it fit fine. hooked up to the stock turbo 350 automatic transmission, man, that thing was fast. and it'll smoke most camaros too because its so light. other great things....sleeper factor, uniqueness, ill bet you never even thought about it till just now. and in the late 70's they didnt really look that bad in fastback form either. shoot, use an old 350 out of a camaro or firebird and hop it up, and youve got yourself a real scortcher for less than 3 grand, finished if the body's all good already. just figured i'd share.

Musclecarclub
07-31-2003, 03:15 AM
Just goes to show that just about any car can be a performer, with the right modifications of course.

FAPhoenix
09-07-2003, 02:05 PM
Heh, thats a cool idea.

Meyaht
11-25-2003, 04:20 PM
want a cheaper idea?
buy a 85ish G body grand prix... drop in a 455.

guy i know bought one on the side of the road for 400 bucks.. bought the eingfe from a junkyard for $70.. rebuilt it for $250. bought a $70 tans-dapt conversion. bought a new fuel pump + rebuilt the quadrajunk that came on the motor..

after new paint + backyard bondo job it was under $2k.

venom800R
11-26-2003, 01:48 PM
want a cheaper idea?
buy a 85ish G body grand prix... drop in a 455.

guy i know bought one on the side of the road for 400 bucks.. bought the eingfe from a junkyard for $70.. rebuilt it for $250. bought a $70 tans-dapt conversion. bought a new fuel pump + rebuilt the quadrajunk that came on the motor..

after new paint + backyard bondo job it was under $2k.

you could do that too. same G body for a little extra cash try and find a junked buick t-type, turbo regal or grand national and use that motor. shoudl fit right in.

Skitzo
11-30-2003, 09:53 PM
got any pics

venom800R
12-02-2003, 04:47 PM
got any pics

shoudl have a couple burnout pics of the sunbird hangin around someone, just gotta figure out the scanner and ill have em up for ya

on a sad note that car isn't around anymore, its owner passed out from low blood sugar and the car collided into a tree at about 40 or 50 mph. hes fine except for a broken leg and no one else was hurt, but the car was totaled, all we could save off it was the intake and carb. the tree suffered only minor scrapes and bruises

98GPGT
12-15-2003, 04:13 AM
WOW! this was the perfect thread for me. I'm gonna look into an 85ish gp. I smoke most ricers and mustangs now with just a 98 gp gt. But i want something real ballsy and pontiac. I'll probabally do just what you said with the 455. I'm in college and on a budget but i love to go fast.

venom800R
12-16-2003, 04:45 PM
WOW! this was the perfect thread for me. I'm gonna look into an 85ish gp. I smoke most ricers and mustangs now with just a 98 gp gt. But i want something real ballsy and pontiac. I'll probabally do just what you said with the 455. I'm in college and on a budget but i love to go fast.

that's the spirit. just remember, drive your musclecar fast, and drive your musclecar hard, just please don't drive it fast into somethign hard.

also, scanners on the fritz but i'm working on those pics

98GPGT
12-17-2003, 12:10 AM
I don't drive dumb. I mean I go fast as long as still feel in total control. no fast & furious fantasies here.

Bridymurphy
12-25-2003, 09:37 PM
hey I got a question for you guys. I just bought a 90' Sunbird and I saw that they actually made a turbo for the 2.0L. Anyone know about how that performs? It's a second car for me, and it doesn't run. but if the turbo is available, I might just hold onto it. Seeing how I bought the car for 40 bucks I think I can find some more money to spend on it if the parts are available.

Musclecarclub
12-26-2003, 03:32 AM
$40? Now that is a cheap car.

Bridymurphy
12-26-2003, 09:55 PM
yeah, I think there's something wrong with the ignition system. I haven't even looked at it yet. Too busy.

Add your comment to this topic!