Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2000 silverado drl

hodrodt
07-29-2003, 11:24 AM
drl headlights always burn instead of running lights when the truck is started. Does anyone else have this problem, how can I correct it?

xlseeor
12-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Mine does the same thing. I took it to the dealer and paid for a diagnostic. The dashboard sensor was good, the relay was good, so they wanted to disassemble the dash and start looking around in there. I told them that was enough and to quit before it cost me an arm and a leg. I still don't know what the problem is. Have you had any luck?

pies
02-20-2005, 01:17 PM
push and release your emergency brake , it turns headlights off

kenny-1907
02-20-2005, 01:59 PM
drl headlights always burn instead of running lights when the truck is started. Does anyone else have this problem, how can I correct it?

Yur description is a little confusing to me, do you have this problem during the day , at night , or all the time. Your truck has headlights as well as seperate DRL's (day time running lights). There is a sensor on the dash at the base of the windshield in the center about the size of a pencil eraser and it is a black plastic dome. Make sure that nothing is blocking that sensor. Which lights are always on , the headlight low beams or the DRL's below the bumber in the black valance ? When your vehicle is started , no lights should come on during the day unless your truck is parked in a garage Once you put your truck into gear the DRL's should come on, these are the ones bleow the bumper in the black valance and go out once put back into park. If this is not what is happening with your truck and your headlight low beams are alyays coming on , like i said be sure that nothing is on the dash blocking that sensor and if nothing is blocking it , it is possible that there is something wrong with it.

norwood
02-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by kenny-1907

Which lights are always on , the headlight low beams or the DRL's below the bumber in the black valance ? When your vehicle is started , no lights should come on during the day unless your truck is parked in a garage Once you put your truck into gear the DRL's should come on, these are the ones bleow the bumper in the black valance and go out once put back into park.

The lights below the bumper in the black valance would be the fog lights. The daytime running lights- DRL's are the clear ones just below the headlights, next to the amber parking lamps. But you are right they don't come on until the truck is put into gear. The fog lights in the bottom valance only will work when the low-beam headlights are on. The fog lights have a separate switch.

kenny-1907
02-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for clearing up my mix up norwood. Something just did not seem right as i was typing that out lol.

norwood
02-21-2005, 02:39 AM
No prob man. I'm just glad I have that owners manual. lol.

cwrong
06-28-2010, 12:41 AM
like the other poster my headlights come on whenever i turn the ign to start. what i mean by on is all lights come on like i turned the headlight switch to the "night time" position (headlights, parking lights, taillights, and lp lights). there is nothing obstructing the sensor on the dash for it to think its dark outside. how do i get it to were no lights or "drl's" are on?

chev01
12-02-2010, 08:25 PM
One good test to ensure the running lights are working alright is too put a flood lamp or trouble light directed at the sensor to trick the headlights it is daytime, this of course could be used when your diagnosing in the dark.
Turn ignition on,headlights will be on,after a few seconds they will turn off,do not start vehicle, depress brake pedal and put the gear selector into drive position. Good test,when mine weren't working, I also had to replace the sockets themselves,they burned out.

4x4junkie
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
i have a 2000 silverado 2500 with the factory tow package, mine does the exact same thing, i also know that if you press the dome overide button three quick times all the lights will turn off, i have a trail blazer that does the exact same thing, and this is actually the second silverado that operated exactly this way, however I can not say whether this is or isnt normal operation. If it isnt, then it is surely an issue that regularly happens to these vehicles.

kahjdh
12-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Sounds like either a bad sunload sensor or there is resistance somewhere in the circuit that shouldnt be there. Ill read up on this....

Lt_295
10-05-2011, 06:14 PM
I have a 2000 Silverado that had the same problem. My headlights came on instead of the DRL's. I even called a Chevy dealer and they wanted a arm and leg to even look at it. Well, as it turned out, BOTH of my DRL bulbs were burned out! I replaced them and presto, work like a champ now.

nineball481
11-14-2012, 05:54 PM
My truck started doing this as well. I checked the lamps...good, fuse...good, relay (swapped with a relay known to be working)...good. So I purchased a new ambient light sensor and replaced it. That fixed my issue and all is well. :)

ColoradoSilverado
11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
All my lights have been on for the past 5 year, doesn't bother me one bit.

justme1233
12-15-2013, 09:15 AM
I can't get my drl to come on at all. When I turn the ignition to run the headlights come on and taillights as well. I am also experiencing a battery drain that if not driven for a day by day 2 the battery is dead. Whenever the key is out of the ignition the security light blinks. Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

ColoradoSilverado
12-15-2013, 09:52 AM
That's the same problem I have, the sensor on the dash is busted. Just push the dome override button four times and your lights will go off.

Add your comment to this topic!