Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help, I need some Flywheel recomendations NOW!!

jeffseby
07-28-2003, 10:10 PM
93 Civic Ex, No NOS, no Turbo, basic bolt ons, i am upgrading to a new clutch kit (probably ACT) and now while i got the money, I want a New Flywheel... Is Lightweight neccesarly the way to go???
Thanks.

BullShifter
07-28-2003, 11:27 PM
If you plan on adding more power then a lightweight flywheel is the way to go. With what your running its not neccesay, but if you want to spend the $$$$ go for it. Stock flywheels will shift better than a lightweight, lightweight will have a worse idle than stock.

Zex makes a nice flywheel
ACT - Centerforce - Exedy - clutches

jeffseby
07-29-2003, 02:39 PM
thanks for your reply, their are so many companys to buy from. I am willing to spend the money, Is 11.2 Pounds considered lightweight? cause if 11 LBS is ok, then I will just go ACT all the way. Why would a light one give you a bad idle, can't you just reajust your idle speed. I want a combo of Cluch and Flywheel and Presure plate to be a good one. Cause if I drop a new clutch in you will eather have to resurface or buy a new flywheel.

BullShifter
07-30-2003, 12:39 AM
The idle wont be as smooth. You could turn the idle up to 1500rpm, i dont recommend that. Because of the reduced mass on the lightweight flywheel, many owners report a reduction in idle smoothness once it is installed on the car. A small price to pay for increased performance in my opinion. The distribution of mass around the axis of rotation is important as well.

lightweight to me is 8lbs or 9lbs - 11.2lbs is a heavy lightweight
stock is 17lbs or 18lbs

jeffseby
07-30-2003, 11:39 AM
thanks, so you think that ACT 11 LBS flywheel is worth it with a cluch kit.
Cause 11 pounds is better than stock right, i can under stand how a 7 LB flywheel is kind not for street, so 11 LBS should be kinda in the middle of Street/Strip???

BullShifter
07-30-2003, 11:15 PM
Anything is better than the stock flywheel, performance wise.

11-12 street/some racing
10lbs & under -- should be used on full race set-ups

Most stock flywheels are heavy cast iron parts designed for optimum street driveability by soaking up some of the power from the engine and putting it in storage in the form of inertia. Although this may be important for transporting the groceries, this driveability comes at the expense of engine response and acceleration. Light weight flywheels keep less inertia in storage but the lighter rotating mass provides significantly improved engine response and acceleration characteristics. Until now most aftermarket flywheels for sport compact vehicles presented certain undesirable concessions to the user. Many are too light or fragile for the application, others have reliability issues and all are very expensive.

from the act website

funkdaflex1
07-31-2003, 03:10 AM
Lighter flywheels alow your engine to rev up faster also.

BullShifter
07-31-2003, 03:23 AM
Thats the primary reason for upgrading to lightweight - throttle response! free up some power

jeffseby
07-31-2003, 10:19 AM
Oh Man, yall are great! Today I am going to order the ACT HDSS Clutch Kit, with the ACT "Xtrme" 11.7 LB FlyWheel. All Great Prices through http://www.optauto.com/webstore/ and http://www.planetperformance.com/.

neunan
08-19-2003, 12:22 AM
i have an 11 lb flywheel in and my car idles perfectly, just for reference

Add your comment to this topic!