Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

suspension settingsTEIN

hondatool
07-27-2003, 02:25 AM
im about to get the TEIN SS coilover setup this week...im looking for a good soft absorbable ride near stock...what is a good number to put it on (the damper im talking about)...also..anybody have this set up...positive/negative?

SilverY2KCivic
07-27-2003, 03:38 PM
I have the Tein SS coils. Just get them at the standard settings they come at, and you'll be fine. Keep the dampening adjustment at 16 (the softest setting) and it'll feel rather close to stock. Just play around with the settings till you have it set at what feels most comfortable to you. Right now I roll with mine set at 4 clicks from stiffest for the rear, and 6 from stiffest at the front. Yeah, kinda stiff, but wait till you feel what the stiffest setting feels like. :D Softest setting is very pleasent ride though IMO.

hondatool
07-27-2003, 11:34 PM
cool man..thanks

omarjamil
07-30-2003, 09:37 AM
hold up hold up, cau u adjust this all urself? do u need some kinda tool?:confused:

SilverY2KCivic
07-30-2003, 08:11 PM
You can do it yourself, but you'd have to be seriously crippled or have an arm missing NOT to be able to do it yourself. :loser:

They include a little allen key with the kit to make the dampening adjustments, and it's SO simple to adjust. Walking is almost harder than adjusting them, haha!

omarjamil
07-31-2003, 11:36 AM
that is so sweet, can i do that for any coilover set?

SilverY2KCivic
07-31-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by omarjamil
that is so sweet, can i do that for any coilover set?

Well above is how it's done for any Tein coilovers that allow for adjusting the shock dampening level. Other coilovers use similar methods that are just as easy, or not much more difficult, but there's some that it's way hard to adjust the dampening. Of course this only applies to coilovers that you can adjust that with them. Tein also has out this ultra cool device called the EDFC that allows you to adjust the dampening from INSIDE your car without ever having to even look at the shocks. Basically you can go from softest setting to stiffest with the simple push of a button, how cool is that? :bigthumb: Unfortunately for Hondas, this is available only for the Type Flex model Tein right now, but is currently in development for the SS model coils as well.

omarjamil
08-02-2003, 11:45 AM
but yo the APC coilover sets have the description of lowering or raising ur car and still maintain a comfertable ride, meaning its just to set the springs on how comfertable u want right? nothing to do with lowering ur car, or raising it?:comprage1

omarjamil
08-02-2003, 11:52 AM
and if i lower my car, is it possible to get the coilover set too? or can i just get one, either springs or coilover set

SilverY2KCivic
08-02-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by omarjamil
but yo the APC coilover sets have the description of lowering or raising ur car and still maintain a comfertable ride, meaning its just to set the springs on how comfertable u want right? nothing to do with lowering ur car, or raising it?:comprage1

I wouldn't get the APC kit. They are NOTHING to what Tein is. Tein dominates 60+% of the entire suspension market in japan, and has been doing so for almost 20 years. APC doesn't have any experience in the suspension field of cars. They won't be nearly as comfortable, that I can promise you. And raising and lowering DOES affect how comfortable the car rides. The lower you go, the stiffer the ride will be no matter the system used.

omarjamil
08-02-2003, 04:15 PM
alright so coil over sets have NOTHING to do with lowering ur car right? like u adjust them to make the ride more comfertable, not to lower your car am i correct? and if i do get lowering springs, can i also get coil over set too?

loesch8102
08-02-2003, 04:33 PM
A coil over kit is used to have the ability to raise or lower your car, vertually to any hight you want. The kits come with the whole works. Spring Shock and hardware. I think Teins have their own camber adjustment too. What happens is when you lower the car, (adjust hight with coil overs), with stock settings on the dampers, (struts / shocks), the ride will be bouncey and not smooth at all. So good coilover sets, come with their own adjustable struts/shocks. This way you can dial in the damping level to suit your driving style or comfort level.

SilverY2KCivic
08-02-2003, 08:25 PM
On Hondas Teins DO NOT have camber adjustment, you can't even get pillo-ball mounts for them... Yet that is, but they won't allow for camber adjustment. For camber you must get adjustable upper arms to change it.

Coilovers are for BOTH height adjustment, as well as comfort/dampening adjustment. The purpose of them is a an all-in-one matched set solution that allows you to lower your car properly and still get maximum performance and functionality out of your suspension without compremise. I suggest you visit www.tein.com and read up on the SS and Basic Dampener models (in the products section) and maybe you'll understand better what it's for.

Below is a pic of my rear suspension setup. The shocks/spring set you see is one of my Tein SS. Note the threads and lock perches for the adjusting of the ride height up or down. Also notice that they are PART OF the shock body itself, hence all in one solution. The part you can't see is the adjustable nut on the strut top that allows for the ride comfort/dampening adjustment of 16 levels.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=1115606

Add your comment to this topic!