Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How do you changer brakes on a Mazda Tribute?

dreiding
07-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I need some instructions on how to change the front brake pads on a 2001 Tribute LX.

Thanks,
- Pat:eek7:

redlineNSX
09-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Hey, im happy to find another Tribute person out there. I would assume changing the brakes would be like on any other car. I havent done it on my Tribute so i cant give you total step by step (sorry). you might want to check out a Chilton book for Mazda and/or the Ford Escape if they dont have one for Tribute. Good luck!!! :thumbsup: Btw, what color is your little Lx?

shadow135
09-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Hello
I need advice on changing the front brakes pads on a 2001 tribute

TomV
12-13-2004, 07:46 PM
There is a Haynes manual for this vehicle on ebay if you cannot find one locally. I always recommend this for any work on a vehicle.

I have replaced the pads and rotors on my 2002 and did not find any unusual things about the task. I did need to use a large wheel puller to get the rotors off.

A socket set is used to remove the frame holding the pads to the caliper assembly. No torx or allens. Use a wire to hold the caliper to the spring so the brake hose is not damaged. Use a c-clamp to press the piston back into the caliper. This allows you to get the new, thicker pads to be placed around the rotor.

If you have topped off the brake fluid to compensate for the pads wearing down then you may need to remove some of it from the reservoir before you push back the piston else you will force it out and spill some in your engine compartment.

ve7ccl
03-08-2005, 04:30 AM
It is not a socket set for caliper body screws it is for an allen key

There is a Haynes manual for this vehicle on ebay if you cannot find one locally. I always recommend this for any work on a vehicle.

I have replaced the pads and rotors on my 2002 and did not find any unusual things about the task. I did need to use a large wheel puller to get the rotors off.

A socket set is used to remove the frame holding the pads to the caliper assembly. No torx or allens. Use a wire to hold the caliper to the spring so the brake hose is not damaged. Use a c-clamp to press the piston back into the caliper. This allows you to get the new, thicker pads to be placed around the rotor.

If you have topped off the brake fluid to compensate for the pads wearing down then you may need to remove some of it from the reservoir before you push back the piston else you will force it out and spill some in your engine compartment.

AlohaBra
03-20-2005, 09:28 PM

HI

This set of instructions is right...however an allen (or torx) socket is need as indicated by someone else...
Did not need a puller for my rotors....rust happens...i replaced with new ones.... recommended, not expensive and will ELIMINATE SQUEAL.

64k miles... have done them twice, one set of rotors. Anyway to get the rotors off....soak with WD-40 and use large hammer (sledge or dead blow)....if you are replacing them anyway.....otherwise don't take them off.

Either remove brake fluid from reservor or open brake caliper nipple to bleed from there. Recommend bleed after you are done anyway. Changing brake fluid is recommended to remove absorbed moisture (H2O) from the atmoshere and any contamination. I used to work in dealerships. In some places like Hawaii salt air will corrode brake hydraulic parts internally.
Brake fluid should be clear or light colored at all four wheel when done....cost a little more but .....mo betta.

Compress caliper piston with c-clamp or large channel lock pliers. I use a disk brake squeal compound (basically like Elmer's glue except it is blue and you buy it at the auto parts store), especially if you don't put on new rotors. I lube where the brake pad slides or touches the caliper bracket with anti-seize compound. I torque everything with a torque wrench including wheel lug nuts (twice to make sure).

Add your comment to this topic!