Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i beat a v6 couger thats lighter then me

mikegee
07-26-2003, 12:11 PM
I pulled up to a double left turn. A street light. I looked to my left. I had the outside turn. I saw a white 2001 couger. I checked to make sure it was a V6. It was and noticed it was a stick cuz of how he would let the car drift back and then I'd hear the rpm running high and he would move forward. It had an exhaust and and nice set of wheels and tires. I have a 2002 pontiac gram am 2.2L ecotec in an automatic. i bought it to be a commuting car. he looked at me i looked at him. light turned green i floored it my tires slipped a lil then the electrionic traction control kick in (really not sure if it hepls on dry land) i had him off the line (neither one of use had a/c running) we started to straitin up he started to gain on me then my second cam kicked in and i started to pull away this is when his exhaust started to sound terrible i dont know what the problem was in his car i looked in my rear view mirror just to see his finger aimed at me.

team_aed
07-26-2003, 12:41 PM
I dont believe they made the cougar with a V6 5 speed... I think the 4 banger had a optional manual, but the V6n was only auto

mikegee
07-27-2003, 12:11 PM
agreed. i cant see why he would spend a few grand to change out the stock 4 speed auto for a 5 speed manny. unless the v6 emblem in the rear was a fake.

98GrandAm
05-13-2004, 10:59 PM
nope, they have a 170hp v6 manual, i raced one

Markgase2000
05-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Cougars are most common with 5speed ever since the new style came out (l4 or v6) there peppy as hell and the 99's werent limited in speed , so lots of top end forem. His exhaust problem is caused by removing the cats ill bet , those cars need a bit of backpressure bein 24valve dohc and all other wise its tinny and sounds like its gonna blow a head gasket. I raced a few and they can move speacially in the turns. That car may not have the acceleration as yours but will kill your ga in the turns , will kill most stock cars on the planet in the turns. The car has one of the best suspension setups for front wheel drive cars in the world , I believe the focus was rated best stock suspension for fwd. Good job man , keep taming the cats!

grfnkl
05-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Cougars are easy to beat, I beat my friends cougar in my 88 Grand am with a little 4 banger in it! I left him in the dust.... HAHAH. I also beathis cougar and a mitsubishi Lancer in my 02 at the same time the best part i wasn't next to them i was behind them at the light and got around both of them like they were sitting still. Good times!

Markgase2000
05-16-2004, 09:01 PM
5 years ago ,,,,,, were there lots of performance stuff for 85 grand ams? I had a 85 with 3.0 v6 and it was fast as all hell but had some minor sacrifices like no power steering or a/c. Car went 200 meters at 70+mph. It was a uninsurable rust bucket so i traded it for beer.

grfnkl
05-18-2004, 10:01 AM
That i know of, there was nothing really out for the V6, but then again i wasn't looking for stuff in the V6, I know there was some stuff for the quad 4 and some for the 4 tech, I also know if you got one of the limited edition turbo charged engines there were some upgrades available. Alot of things for those years was all homemade and juryrigged.... I have to say those years had slow start off but once you got going , the car took off. I got mine over 100, i think, i don't know the speedo only goes to 85... Mine also had power steering and A/c BUT you wouldn't want to run the A/c and try to drive, cuz you would have no power, it would drain the hell out of the engine.

The rust can be untameable at times.... I'm trying to deal with that at the moment....

lilmx-3w
05-18-2004, 04:35 PM
thats awsome... i got a 99 grandam its fast im trying to make it faster engine swap... what should i do?

mikegee
05-20-2004, 05:25 PM
thats awsome... i got a 99 grandam its fast im trying to make it faster engine swap... what should i do?

this is an old podt creasted by me im surprised its still hangin in there

if you have the 2.2 liter ecotec leave it if you dont have that put in. its prolly the best 4 banger gm has used and a lot better then most of gms v6.

landyacht
05-20-2004, 07:49 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by lilmx-3w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is an old podt creasted by me im surprised its still hangin in there

if you have the 2.2 liter ecotec leave it if you dont have that put in. its prolly the best 4 banger gm has used and a lot better then most of gms v6.

If you really want to spend the money on an engine swap, put in the 3.8L V6 from the Bonneville SSEi.

Get a quality place to do it though, lots of electrics involved with that engine.

From there, upgrade to a B&M supercharger and get better pullies. Then intake, exhaust, rims and tires.

Just a few suggestions!

Add your comment to this topic!