Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

b16a SIR 1 in a 98 civic

funkdaflex1
07-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Ok I want to know if a jdm b16a SIR 1 from like an 88-91 will fit into a 98 honda civic ex theres a guy telling me it wont work because its obd and my car is obd2. Well if the motor comes with the ecu and harness wont it work? Hes also trying to say it wont fit into my car either. I think hes full of shit but I want to see what you guys think.

sparq
07-26-2003, 05:54 AM
It will FIT yes, but no it wont work. You would have to totally rewire your car. Swap from hydro to cable trans, Not to mention it is illegal to drop in an older motor into a newer car. The motor has to be same year or newer. Dont be a cheap ass and pay for the newer version of the swap...

mellowboy
07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by sparq
It will FIT yes, but no it wont work. You would have to totally rewire your car. Swap from hydro to cable trans, Not to mention it is illegal to drop in an older motor into a newer car. The motor has to be same year or newer. Dont be a cheap ass and pay for the newer version of the swap...

You got it man!

Eh funk i got a del sol b16a3 motor. Its complete swap. NO PROBLEMS with it! I bought it from a friend of mine and he put in a 1000 on the head alone. port and polish head with skunk cams, jdm dc header, aem fuel rail,ecu, axles and trans all for 2300. Let me know man.

Thepeug
07-26-2003, 01:09 PM
If you're selling that motor, are you buying another one? If so, what is it? Were you satisfied or disappointed with the b16A3? Just curious.

funkdaflex1
07-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Nah I'm good mellowboy thanks for askin though I was just curiouse as to if it can be done I'm just gunna build a d16. Thanks for your repies.

mellowboy
07-26-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Thepeug
If you're selling that motor, are you buying another one? If so, what is it? Were you satisfied or disappointed with the b16A3? Just curious.

Im gonna go 1.8 for the crx. I have 2 b16s for sale. One thats in my crx and the del sol motor. I thought i was gonna get me a 1200 92 hatch and throw the b16a3 in it but he ended up sellin it.

Thepeug
07-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Oh, bummer. Funkdaflex1, what kind of 1/4 mile do you run with that d16?

funkdaflex1
07-26-2003, 02:46 PM
its unoficial really I was to young to drive at the track so I had a friend who weighs 250+ lb's drive and my clutch slips till 3rd gear and it was from a roll he didnt want to launch cuz he didnt want to mess my clutch up but with all that at 6lb's of boost it ran 15.3 at like 88 mph I'm getting a clutch and flywheel in like 2 weeks and will take it to the track so I'll post that up if you would like.

chechin
07-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Look, I live in Central America, so we don't have any problems using any engine we want to drop on our cars, but the only problem here is that not many of us could afford a type R or B16a2 engine (very very very expensive man!) that's why I swapped a B16A 1st gen on my coupe 97 and YES!! you can do it, an OBD0 engine on a OBD2 car, well I just had to use a GSR distributor, and the OBD2 stock Injectors I had to change the alternator and that's it the car runs good with the OBD2 harness, except for the stock HX (P2N) ECU, I'm planning to change it because it's made for economy and not for performance I'll use a P28 chipped ECU and of course a home made conversion harness OBD2-OBD1.

I hope this clears your mind and my advice is if you got the money go for a newer engine, if you don't just be careful with the laws about older engines.

Thepeug
07-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by funkdaflex1
its unoficial really I was to young to drive at the track so I had a friend who weighs 250+ lb's drive and my clutch slips till 3rd gear and it was from a roll he didnt want to launch cuz he didnt want to mess my clutch up but with all that at 6lb's of boost it ran 15.3 at like 88 mph I'm getting a clutch and flywheel in like 2 weeks and will take it to the track so I'll post that up if you would like.

Thanks, I'd definitely like to see your times. Sounds like with the right variables, you could be pretty quick.

funkdaflex1
07-27-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Thepeug

Thanks, I'd definitely like to see your times. Sounds like with the right variables, you could be pretty quick.

Yeah I sure hope so.

Add your comment to this topic!