A few questions

gerrycurl21
07-24-2003, 03:49 PM
1.For making bodykits what do you guys do?Im getting mixed answers

-add putty and make scratch kits?!?
-cut skirts and grills from other cars and mold them to your cars?
-or are bodykits availible to buy from hobby shops?

2.What is this SAS bodykit people are talking bout,speciffically this amazing car Skyline (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t107275.html)
Again is this a bodykit available for purchase or some blueprints you guys follow?

3. Alotta people seem to be praising "Tamiya Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R34)" kit, i assume this is an easy kit so should i purchase this kit to begin modeling?

4.How much do you guys spend for a kit?paints included

freakray
07-24-2003, 03:51 PM
www.scaleautostyle.com

Jay!
07-24-2003, 04:41 PM
Welcome to AF!! :wave:

1. All of the above, with varying degrees of difficulty. Recommend starting at the bottom of the options you guessed at, and work upwards (i.e., buy transkit (replacement parts from ScaleAutoStyle, etc.), kitbash (use part from several kits), then scratchbuild (build from scratch: putty and plastic sheet.))
2. see Ray's reply. SAS = flyonthewall, one of the moderators on this board.
3. Great kit, great fit, few extra custom bits, BUT... make sure you know there's no engine included. The Skyline thread you linked to was a custom job using the motor from a different kit...
4. Depends... ;) I haven't spent less than an additional $30 on a $20 kit in quite a while... Though, once you have your set of basic supplies and paints established, it's not so bad...

gerrycurl21
07-24-2003, 04:42 PM
do u have to cut anything off or do u just have to replace the certain parts?

is there any other way beside ordering of the net?

NME NVADR
07-24-2003, 04:45 PM
1. The easiest way would be to buy one from sas (use the link freakray provided)

2. You buy the body kit. You have to cut peices of your exsisting body off then attach the new ones.

3. Tamiya makes good kits, the parts fit is good and the skyline seems to be a popular car right now. I would defanantley (spelling) get it.

4. Well the kits vary in price, If I remember correctly the one you are looking at is $20. The paint can get expensive but once you have it, you can do quite a few models with it.

It may seem like a lot of money at first (It is!) but once you have all the paints and tools you need you won't have to worry about buying more for awhile.

gerrycurl21
07-24-2003, 04:48 PM
i assume that 20 american?

NME NVADR
07-24-2003, 04:52 PM
Yes, you are correct.

This is the skyline you are looking at right?

http://www.ehobbies.com/mo-tam-24258.html

Jay!
07-24-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by gerrycurl21
do u have to cut anything off or do u just have to replace the certain parts?

is there any other way beside ordering of the net? The Scale Auto Style parts are generally made to replace, not overlay. Chris has written a tutorial about cutting panels out using a scriber or Xacto knife; you should see it in the tutorial thread...

gerrycurl21
07-24-2003, 07:00 PM
is SAS the only company out there?

I assume these parts are called aftermarket mods?

gerrycurl21
07-24-2003, 10:30 PM
:tongue: , now,im having 2nd thoughts, what would be the better choice

the skyline or a Fujimi Toyota MR-2 GT SW20?

http://www.tinyimports.com/model_kits/Toyota/fu03370_mr2gt.gif

hobbes874
07-24-2003, 11:46 PM
In my opinion a Tamiya kit is much better to start off with because of the quality :D. I started on a Tamiya R33 Skyline and it was very simple and it came out great!

MR-2RaCeR
07-25-2003, 12:20 AM
I am still adding mods to my Fujimi MR2GT SW20, the kit is ok. If you want to lower your car though, it will be pain because you have to modify a few parts. The Tamiya has good quality, but it may be a little bit harder to build.

gerrycurl21
07-25-2003, 03:10 PM
:confused: so what is the harder to build kit

MR-2RaCeR
07-25-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by gerrycurl21
:confused: so what is the harder to build kit

The Tamiya is harder, but it has better quality.

Add your comment to this topic!