Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

b16a idle problems bouncing when warm

excelaudio
07-23-2003, 07:20 PM
need to know if anyone has had this problem before?

when the car is cold it idles at about 1800 rpm countinous

when it warms up it bounces from 2000 rpm to 1000 rpm

the car has never done this for a year and when i was up at the track last week it started to do it

i dont think its a vacume hose becaust it would do it when its cold

i also changed the ecu after it started to do it but i have not had any codes pop up with either ecu

i cleaned the sensor on the back of the intake and no help

the tps sensor is reading properly

any ideas???

thanks
dave galloway

89B18C1CRX
07-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Couple things, Ive heard of this happening in two situations both causes from when your timing is off. Flash your timin belt and see what its like. I know my buddy had a hatch with a b16 and when he would be just sitting with his ebrake up it would do that same thing. And that was the cause the timin was off. But I know with his it would only do it when the e-brake is pulled.

stock1.5
11-06-2003, 05:16 PM
im having similar problems. have you found a solution yet? mine is believed to be the tps but i dont have any check light on. i am going to replace the throttle body and the tps. and hopefully my idle will come down. as it stands right now when the engine is warm it sits @ 2800rpm it started when my car began to "bog out" @ a stoplight then it jumped to 1500rpm and hasnt come down since

Privatebigandrew
11-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Before we start throwing parts at the problem (kinda late for the ECU), lets think logically. Check your Idle Air Control valve. Get your car scanned with a scan tool and check the iac steps. Your check engine light doesn't have to come on to set a code. I have a Del SOl with the B16A3 and have the same problem. I have yet to replace my IAC valve b/c it is so damn expensive. It didn't work for me, but i do know of this little trick working many times. Take off you IAC valve and clean it out with carb cleaner. Let it dry and then spray with WD-40 or other lubricant. This shoud be done about every 30000 miles.

stock1.5
11-07-2003, 04:54 PM
. Get your car scanned with a scan tool.

a scan tool? :eek7:

Privatebigandrew
11-07-2003, 10:29 PM
A scan tool is a dianostic tool that can read codes from your computer as well as other important info. Any honda dealership will have one, as well as many other private shops. Autozone may even be able to pull your codes for you.

stock1.5
11-07-2003, 11:14 PM
A scan tool is a dianostic tool that can read codes from your computer as well as other important info. Any honda dealership will have one, as well as many other private shops. Autozone may even be able to pull your codes for you.

and if i already know the self diagnostic procedure and had already stated that my ecu is not giving any codes i think asking someone to "scan" my car would be useless. and ive taken it to 4 performance shops and its a mystery to them to whats wrong w/ my car because its not giving any codes. maybe getting some new parts might be what i need

Buzz1167
11-08-2003, 01:49 AM
I experianced a similar problem when I turned off the coolant lines to the intake manifold. The idle raised and stayed high, it has something to do with not having a good vacum from the IM. You should check your Vacum lines (always what I do with idle problems). My engine did that too with an inadequate vacum (Even though I did it on purpose) it would bounce at an idle at a light sitting in neutral.

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

Hybrid1990crx
11-10-2003, 01:17 AM
You should check your Vacum lines (always what I do with idle problems).

HTH
Buzz1167
Jon N

:iagree:

My friend had and still has this same problem with his vdub. The shop told him it was his TPS the first time he took it in, got it fixed, and it started doing it again a few weeks later. Took it to the shop again and said it was a vacuum line pinching itself shut. Try replacing your lines if you notice any wear or cracks or anything of the sort.

stock1.5
11-19-2003, 12:01 AM
i bought an edelbrock 65mm itr throttle body and installed it the other day and voila! problem solved. it was my tps that went out and edelbrock made one of a few replacements with a tps on it. works like an animal the damn thing and it makes my cai scream. id like to get the victor x intake manifold to complement the t/b.

chechin
11-22-2003, 05:59 PM
the problem is the MAF sensor, change it.

bye.

Phantom crx
11-23-2003, 04:51 PM
i am acully havein the same problems. i checked the voltage to the tps, map, Iat, iac.. they all are 5.ov like it should be,, replaced tps just to be safe.. still doin it. but heres whats weird.. unplug the IAC (which is the 3rd one ive put on) the idel becomes less erratic. it only bob's like 200 rpm. sounds like i have a HUGE cam in it. ok another thing thats is getin me is that the TDC is a brand new not reman brand new from honda... its still throwin that same code.. any ideas on any of it. any little bit would help.. thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!