Bubbles in carbon fibre hood


Snooker
07-23-2003, 01:49 PM
I put a CF decal on my R32 hood (not painted before) and used Mr. Marker Soft to smooth it and put it in shape. Then I clear-coated it with Tamiya TS-13 and now I have these bubbles, the surface of the hood is partly rough. How could I remove these bubbles and what did I wrong?

DSM-Mark
07-23-2003, 01:54 PM
How long did you wait between decalling and clearcoating? You should wait at least a day or 2, and preferably 1 week.

Snooker
07-23-2003, 02:03 PM
I waited 4 - 6 days between decalling and clear-coating.

Decs0105
07-23-2003, 02:32 PM
are the bubbles in the carbon decal or in the clear coat ??? if they were in the clear coat lightly sand and then polish !!!!

Snooker
07-23-2003, 02:40 PM
They are in the decal. I guess I need to put on a new one, rigt?

Ferrari TR
07-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Looks like a good time to start over.
Build the clear coat up slowly, start with a light mist coat then build several coats for a final shine.

Snooker
07-24-2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Ferrari TR
Looks like a good time to start over.
Build the clear coat up slowly, start with a light mist coat then build several coats for a final shine.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Martbee
07-24-2003, 06:45 AM
It happen to me (on regular decals) and yes, it a pain ! And yes, it was because I covered with a far too dense coat... mist the first, second, the third and then the heavy coat. Sorry to hear that it happened to you, not a good news at all but at least, you seem to have plenty of carbon fiber decals... this problems happened to me on colors decals and I didn't have spare decals ! So I covered my Subaro WRC with mud so it look like it has been raced !

modelcarmaster16
07-24-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by DSM-Mark
How long did you wait between decalling and clearcoating? You should wait at least a day or 2, and preferably 1 week.
:iamwithst: JK JK JK JK JK JK JK.lol. :iagree:

Snooker
07-24-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Martbee
It happen to me (on regular decals) and yes, it a pain ! And yes, it was because I covered with a far too dense coat... mist the first, second, the third and then the heavy coat. Sorry to hear that it happened to you, not a good news at all but at least, you seem to have plenty of carbon fiber decals... this problems happened to me on colors decals and I didn't have spare decals ! So I covered my Subaro WRC with mud so it look like it has been raced !

Yeah, I sprayed a heavy coat on it, didn't know to spray mist coats first.

Martbee
07-24-2003, 10:15 AM
Oops, read Subaru, not Subaro in my post, to late to edit it though, you quote it so... well it's Subaru.

Martbee
07-24-2003, 10:17 AM
By the way, I'm now doing carbon fiber with paint, I found myself better in airbrushing than handeling decals. That's a skill I definetely don't have !!

primera man
07-24-2003, 06:06 PM
If the decal was not sitting down correctly before you added the clearcoat it would have drawn the decal away from the body

Snooker
07-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by primera man
If the decal was not sitting down correctly before you added the clearcoat it would have drawn the decal away from the body

As already said, let the decal soak with water for 5 minutes, applied it with Mr. Marker Soft and added a heavier clear-coat 4 - 6 days later.

Add your comment to this topic!