Scribing/ Re-Scribing Panel lines

fullbloodchop01
07-23-2003, 01:47 PM
ok, ive always wondered what are ur methods to scribing or re-scribing panel lines? ive run into a problem on my current project which makes me have to completely scribe my own panel lines, so do you guys have any tips to make scribing or rescibing easier to do?

freakmech
07-23-2003, 01:52 PM
this was just covered not to long ago... i dont have the pic of the tool i you anymore i trashed it. just look over the last few pages. i had tips and a pic of tool as well as other advice. i use a metal etching scribe. its more comfy then a panel scribe and holds a groove better then a razor and can be sharpenned. look for the other post with same title. maybe 4 days ago.

fullbloodchop01
07-23-2003, 02:04 PM
sorry i missed that thread, but im really looking for tips on how to get nice clean lines, not necisarily straight, because on the parts i need to scirbe lines on, they need to be curved lines :frown: much harder.

PS if any of you have ever built a Garson Accord, you all should know what im talking about (sideskirts)

freakmech
07-23-2003, 02:39 PM
again in the other post people mentioned this as will, there are tons of flexible scribe templates and erasing shields ranging from soft to hard curves and corners that can be used. these are used from mechanical drawing to architecture to art to pin-striping. but are fexible so you can easily fit them around a model body.

astroracer
07-24-2003, 12:27 PM
This is what I do when rescribing door lines.
Make a template for the OUTSIDE shape of the door or panel you need to scribe. I use note card stock. What you want to do is make the template so that, as you are scribing around corners and such, you are ALWAYS pulling the tool toward the template. When you are happy with your template attach it to the model with tape. Now, with a brand new xacto blade and, using the back side of it, very lightly trace the template. Use just enough pressure so you can see a thin line. Do this a few times and you will start to make a groove that the blade will follow. As the groove gets more prounounced you can use a little more pressure and so on.
The "KEY" to doing this is to put on a fresh coat of primer. The primer will cut much easier then the plain plastic. Getting the groove started is the hardest part and the primer helps big time in doing this. Try it on a couple of practice parts to get the hang of it.
L8TR
Mark

Add your comment to this topic!