Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turbo or supercharger

100proof
07-22-2003, 10:23 PM
what would be best.....
turbo.....
or
supercharger.....

hmongstang
07-23-2003, 03:12 AM
definately TURBO :bigthumb:

Kilboy57
07-23-2003, 07:57 AM
On a GSR turbo isnt the greatest thing cuz of the high compresion ratio

99ITGSR
07-23-2003, 11:45 AM
So a super charger is better on a GSR? How about Vortech's supercharger?

100proof
07-23-2003, 03:44 PM
i was thinking a vortech supercharger too

99civic03
07-23-2003, 07:05 PM
dont mean to be an asshole or anything, but run a search, there have been TONS of threads with your exact question.

94tegRS
07-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Kilboy57
On a GSR turbo isnt the greatest thing cuz of the high compresion ratio

turbos and superchargers do the same thing, driven differently, but both FORCE air into the engine, so high compression isnt good for either.

but the GSR can handle some boost, just make sure you got more fuel to go along with the extra air and dont boost TOO much and youll be fine. plus normal driving youll get better gas mileage with a turbo, cuz cruising at 3 grand, with a turbo you got basically no boost at all, with a supercharger, whatever it boosts at 3 grand your stuck with it(well at least im pretty sure of this)

99GSR
07-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Don't buy vortech supercharger get a Drag turbo kit. The Vortech GSR from hondatuningmagazine.com only ran a 14.9@96 mph.

100proof
07-27-2003, 12:44 AM
ok thanx

hai_IntegwaTwypeR
07-31-2003, 11:07 AM
superchargers for integra are almost garbage if they were free. so when you start paying a few thousand bucks you can see why they're even worse. Squeezing (Nitrous) with a supercharger is an interesting setup if yer only going to race a select amount of times but for those (like me) who would race a cat to it's food bowl in their car you would definitely want a turbo setup. supercharger is cheaper though and if you were to compare them with no other mods than simply slapping a turbo or supercharger onto a car then they would be equal. o and btw a supercharger can actually make your car more fuel-efficient when driven like a grandma while a turbo will NEVER do something like that but then again...supercharging an integra to 350+hp isn't nearly as easy as turbo to 350+

99ITGSR
07-31-2003, 11:26 AM
Would this kit from the Overboost store be considered a better deal at 5k as compared to the Vortech Supercharger w/Power cooler at 4700? Especially for say a '99 GSR.

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=20320&cat_id=1&cat_name=Forced%20Induction&sc_id=3&sc_name=Turbo%20Kits

hai_IntegwaTwypeR
07-31-2003, 01:54 PM
YES!!!! throw in a fuel pump and u can pump enough fuel to run 450hp (need tranny to actually run it). superchargers are weak for integras and they have very low reliabillity

tran_nsx
08-03-2003, 12:35 PM
after doing some research on these two chargers i would go with the turbo thats my opinion because the super charger has a lot more parasitic loss compared to the turbo. oh and i f u don't know parasitic loss is the horse power taken at the the crank subtracted from the total horse power made from the engine to run the super charger. so in other words ur wasting power to make more power. also on another note i read some complaints on jackson superchargers with their reliabilty, one customer was running back and forth trying to wonder why his sup charger was leaking oil and the company wasn't trying to take the blame, and others weren't impress with their horse power gains after testing it due to parasitic loss. then again turbo does have lagg and a little para loss. if i were u which sounds like a good idea correct me if im wrong get the turbo charger if ur going the turbo route and get an ls motor. you'll make some profit from selling the gsr motor. or u can go all motor which is another route.

94tegRS
08-03-2003, 01:12 PM
wouldnt driving a TC car like a grandma yeild better results than a SC car.

a turbos boost is dependant on how much exhaust is flowing, an if your cruising at 70 on the freeway at like 4 grand in a GSR I think, but not really on the gas at all, not much air coming ion, not much coming out so the turbo isnt really spoinning much, but with a supercharger, boost is dependant on the engine RPM, so if your stomped on it at 4 or cruising at 4 you got the same boost, and the more airt coming in the fuel has to match it. so the SC'd car is using more gas. at least thats how it works out in my head, maybe im worng though.

Add your comment to this topic!