mazda 787b issue

darkphantom
07-22-2003, 10:36 PM
hey peeps its DP with a problem... out of my 15 models ive gotten 3 so far and ive just started on one of my favorites the mazda 787B. by tamiya... so far ive gotten 67% done.. and are working on the decals now.. but theres a problem... i think that if i put the decals on n then put on the stripes that i might mess up on the ones that i already gotten on. also the stripes dont come in the lines that you put on the car so i have to cut them... i dont want a 65$ dollar model that ive worked hard on go wrong at the last minute... now ive heard that fingernail polish can work n keep the decals on there.... if you have any advice pleaze let me know... Also! the silver one that goes over the fuel cells was wrinkled cause i thought it had holes in there already so i used a knife n it looks F*** up.... please help me out

willimo
07-22-2003, 11:11 PM
If you let the decals set before applying more on top of them, they will be fine. Most people would let them dry for quite a while, but I'm impatient and I put decals on top of decals within an hour, and never had a problem. Just take it slow, don't rush it, and let them dry completely before putting on the second layer.

darkphantom
07-23-2003, 01:28 PM
another question. how do you get the decals on there when theres holes on the model and the decal didnt have holes on there. also when you do the big green decals is it better just to paint the car green or use the decals???

darkphantom
07-23-2003, 03:35 PM
heres some pictures of it so far of what it looks like

darkphantom
07-23-2003, 03:37 PM

darkphantom
07-23-2003, 03:40 PM
its my first model so dont expect anthying great

hirofkd
07-23-2003, 08:58 PM
Cotton swab will make the decal work so much easier. If you don't have one, go get it now. :)

Apply decal, and press the center area with a moistened cotton swab. Roll the cotton swab toward the outside to let the air go. (make sure not to rub the decal with it.)
Repeat the process in radial direction several times, and the decal will stick to the surface well.

It appears to me that the silver decal on the roof is tilted. It's a bit too hard to recover from that point, but I'll give you some suggestions.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/450734787btop.jpg

Yellow is the center line. Cut along the pink like, so that it looks symmetrical.

Also, cut or poke a hole along the ridge, which leads to the left (in the picture) marker light, and also the one around the antenna ground.

Prepare a hot towel, and put it over a wrinkle to soften the decal. After 20-30 seconds, moisten a cotton swab, and press the decal down with it, so that the decal conforms to the surface. If the decal is too hard, place the hot towel a little longer.

Make sure to fix the wrinkles one by one.

Finally, touch up the areas, that are pointed by green arrows with silver paint. Use a very fine brush like 10/0, 15/0 or a toothpick.

If the above are executed properly, no one would notice the mess up.
And before you apply another decal, buy a decal softening solution, which replaces with the hot towel.

935k3
07-23-2003, 09:22 PM
Hirofkd's tips are very good, especially the hot towel treatment. If you live in the USA and need replacement decals though, call Tamiya America at 1-800-826-4922.

iceblend
07-24-2003, 11:56 AM
U can try using microscale's decalset and decalsol to soften ur decal to move it into place and to remove the "bumps".

darkphantom
07-27-2003, 11:19 PM
well i finished fixing the problem and i gotta tell ya it looks a whole lot better than it was . even my friend said it looked way better . thanks alot i owe ya

Zturbo
08-01-2003, 10:39 PM
:smile: Nice kit .but just to hard for a firstimer.you should try building penzoil gt-r it .applying the decal is much easier.

Add your comment to this topic!