02 Silverado Front suspension problems

Ariffel
07-22-2003, 05:50 PM
I just bought a 02 Silverado and everything is great but I have noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel when slightly turning. Like on a curvy street, you can feel something in the steering wheel almost like something is loose in the front end suspension. Would anyone have any ideas on what to check that could be causing the problem.. Thanks for any info..

aelwero
07-22-2003, 08:48 PM
could just be the type of tires you have on it, but check your tire pressure too, if it has even halfway offroad tires it's probably nothing.. my 4WD has all kinds of shimmies and vibrations that would be alarming if my firebird did it, but is usually nothing, especially if you play in the mud.. get the tires nice and muddy and then get on the freeway... it's quite a shock the first time you do it :)

pall
07-26-2004, 05:56 PM
I just bought a 02 Silverado and everything is great but I have noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel when slightly turning. Like on a curvy street, you can feel something in the steering wheel almost like something is loose in the front end suspension. Would anyone have any ideas on what to check that could be causing the problem.. Thanks for any info..

I know just what your problem Is . It is your innersteering shaft I had the same problem on my 2002 silverado it was covered under warranty

02blackstallion
07-28-2004, 10:58 PM
I also have that problem on my 2002 Z71

Haw'n Hog
07-29-2004, 12:37 AM
My '99 Silverado (2WD) also shimmies, vibrates and bounces all over if the road is rough. If the road is smooth it rides and handles fine. I'm going to have the tires/rims balanced and aligned and the suspension checked out. I know, I know; it's a "truck", but I expect better! Will report back what we find.

Bobbido
08-18-2004, 02:57 AM
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=265506

Hopefully this will help. I'm trying it soon. The vibration I'm getting going down the freeway is eating my tires up. I'm also getting that clunk sound every now and then when I turn the wheel. LOLuck to all of you, I know i'm gonna need it. I'll let you know if I get this Albatros off my back.

prtygood
08-18-2004, 03:19 AM
pall nailed it. your dealer will grease your middle section of the steering shaft. Takes about 45min.

Bobbido
08-18-2004, 04:33 AM
prtygood do you know if this innerstearing shaft and the intermediate shaft mentioned in the link on my last thread is the same thing. It looks like GM is stepping up and acknowledging one of several engineering design flaws. They suggest replacing the intermediate shaft rather than re-grease it.

pickup02
08-21-2004, 08:52 PM
I also have this problem on my 02 Silverado. Most noticeable when turning slowly. Thanks for the info that was posted here.

prtygood
08-24-2004, 08:17 PM
You are correct. GM is now replacing the shaft insted of adding grease

Add your comment to this topic!